Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What's happening with AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What's happening with AMA

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:24 PM
DR.B.S.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's happening with AMA

I was wondering if anybody had the number's of member's in the AMA? Are their number's increasing, decreasing or just remaining stagnant? If the number's are stagnant, why is that? If not and they are on the increase, I would like to know.
The reason I am wondering this is because I see that they are canceling the Grand Event because a couple of club's interested of hosting this pulled out due to the fact that AMA is leaving everything up to the host's, what is everything and why is it so hard?
I am a little curious because there are some funny sign's I am noticing but it just might be me. If anyone else is seeing this trend please tell me so I don't feel funny. lol.
One thing I see is Great Planes selling Hobbico to it's employee's. If that is true, I don't know this for sure. Another thing is Horizon, they are giving away their new account's to hobby shop's that aren't even open, some that are only open only during the weekend and businesses that aren't even hobby related, I know this for sure but due to not wishing to reveal any type of information other than which I have stated but can prove that, also.
I am seeing desperation in that because when I first got these account's they were so strict you had to squeak when you walked. Back then(, about 5 years ago) it was so tuff I was told I would never get the account's by other shop's but I did. I also went thru the mill to get them though, I have never squeaked the same since, lol.
I am glad I sold out to some new people that aren't even open but have the account's still going, oops' but that is just one example.
I noticed the trend toward electric's was catching on and I even got into it a little myself but I didn't care for the pricey end of what I like to do, it's cheaper for me and what I like to do, that's the only reason, for me. I also see that the AMA is not really promoted or needed for a lot of electric's and club's and their instructor's aren't needed either, in most instance's of electric flight such as, park flying with your park flyer, I still have a cheaper one I fly from time to time.
I still fly AMA and promote, probably always' will I do like the sign 3 fly free deal.
Be safe this new flying season to all and to all keep promoting and flying.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What's happening with AMA

Look through the forum. Your questions are covered many times. It's all opinion. JR will tell you whatever AMA wants him to say. I have posted many items for discussion, especially in the past 8 months. Research it up.
Most of the people here run on pure emotion and have difficulty comprehending basic economics of the real world.
You can judge for yourself just who is who. [8D]
Old 03-14-2006, 02:16 AM
J_R

The AMA is losing members. To determine the extent, contact your AMA VP or AMA headquarters. As a matter of fact, if you want to know anything about the AMA, that’s pretty good advice.

Horrace and I generally agree on nothing. His above opinions are no exception. Don’t bother to look at my posts. You will find nothing new. Everything I have been posting is several months old. I got disgusted with the "discussions" taking place in this forum and no longer report current information.

Now, don’t assume that means nothing is going on with the AMA, because it is. There is some stuff that is very exciting coming to fruition. There are other things in the planning stages. I will leave it to Horrace to report on them in a few months, or you can give consideration to his opinions.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:11 AM
jdwiflyrc
My Feedback: (31)

Look to our own clubs for a lot of the answers as to what is happening with AMA.

Is our clubs growing?

Are we doing the same thing over and over?

Are we recruiting new members each year?

What are we doing to keep older members?

Do we contact the lost members to let them know that they are missed?

Our club has lost 21 out of 49, What can we do to stop that decline in membership?

If this is happening across the USA think what problems are facing our AMA and how we might be able to help them?

John Watson
AMA 178603
WRCMA Pres.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:13 AM
J_R

I'll give you the same advice I did Lytehouse Hobby. Check with your VP. There are things being done to address these issues. If you keep your eyes open, you will see the results soon enough, if you are unwilling to contact your VP. Some of the stuff is pretty exciting, in my estimation.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 AM
jdwiflyrc
My Feedback: (31)

I agree!

Communication will help.

I was just pointing out some problems in local clubs that have to be causing problems with AMA and as local clubs what can we do to help.

John
Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: jdwiflyrc

I agree!

Communication will help.

I was just pointing out some problems in local clubs that have to be causing problems with AMA and as local clubs what can we do to help.

John
Watch what happens with a discussion on those inssues in this forum.

In a recent thread started by EASYTIGER the subject was about two months old on the net. I threw in some old information as well. You would have thought someone threw a calf into a river full of piranhas.

If you enjoy expressing your opinion and are not overly concerned with facts, the discussions here can be fun.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:48 AM
DR.B.S.

Well Horace I see what you mean. I have been keeping up with AMA to a small degree and I just can't understand some thing's.
How can a organization that is losing member's survive?
I don't want to turn this into a hostile forum so let's try to get along even if we don't agree with other's opinion.
I don't see AMA doing anything any different than they have been doing for the last 20 years. A simple re-hash of all that has been done will not allow a depleting organization to survive, unless it is the Federal Government.
For the life of me, I can't understand all the club's that have posted how well there club's are doing and all the new people they are teaching to fly. If this is not a out and out lie why isn't membership growing? According to their forum posting's, not mine, all is well. If all is well why is membership going south, like I should,lol.
Maybe the park flyer market is so good that people actually are getting away from club and AMA politic's. It is hard enough to try to survive in this economy let alone get caught up in more BS that is going on.
I know for a fact that some people have told me they will never join a club or AMA because some of their friends bought RTF airplanes and never learned to fly them even when they joined the club's to learn to fly. These people sold all of their equipment for pennies on the dollar to these so called instructor's and the instructor blamed them for not learning. They feel totally ripped of by the club's and AMA and that is a hard image to overcome.
I know from being a former teacher that it is not the student's fault but it is the ability of the teacher to teach that play's a strong roll in the student's ability to learn. Anyone that blame's the student is usually the lame party.
I think teaching people to fly successfully is the answer, their is strength in number's. Don't worry about filling the flying field's, chances are with new member's come's new flying field's. A lot of people have their own property to fly on and if the club does it right, they just might get a new field.
While I was flying last year someone came up and started complaining about the usual, oh it's to noisy, it's dangerous, yada, yada, you have all heard it before. I put the radio in his hand's and had him flying in about 10 to 15 minute's. Well that ended that, he is the newest member of our club and the loudest avocet for this hobby,lol.
As far as being a puppet for the AMA is concerned,

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it..."

Joseph Goebbels
Old 03-14-2006, 01:18 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I see it. Total AMA membership is declining because of there are more clubs that do not really want more people in the club they have. This type of club is run by old _arts. If it was not for the clubs that really want to have more members...the decline would be a lot faster in total AMA membership. Another important reason is the COST of everthing...not as mutch $$$ to go around. The cost you have... ...verses the cost of the fun you had/have.....determines if you keep doing things like RC clubs ect. Thanks Capt,n