Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

hauling your BIG gassers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:19 PM
jraabolle
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hauling your BIG gassers?

Could someone post pics on good ideas of holding large scale planes in place in a trailer while being hauled? The problem I have is the trailer I have bounces with a lite load and need a way to tie down my planes. They do have wheel pants and I would rather not take them off every time I fly, X-1.
Justin
Old 03-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: hauling your BIG gassers?

Can you drill a hole in the LG and use a bungee to strap them down to the trailer?

Or, drill a hole in the LG and install a small eye-bolt. Hook the bungee to the eye bolt and then secure it to the trailer.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:31 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

Cut a piece of PVC pipe to length and run it through the hole in the fuselage where the wing tube normaly goes, run an eyebolt into the floor of your trailer directly below the PVC, run a bungee from the eyebolt over the PVC and hook both ends of the bungee to the eyebolt. Chock the wheels and you are ready to go. Works for me.

Regards,
doubledee
Old 03-26-2006, 08:21 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

This is how I hold my planes down in the trailer.

HTH
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85320.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	433289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77491.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	433290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90917.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	433291  
Old 03-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Industrial Velco, the kind that sticks to itself. Been using it for years and it doesnt give. Easy to move around also.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Much like the pictures that Stomper posted, I use wood wheel chocks and small bungees wrapped around the LG. Only difference is I use two screw eyes (fore and aft of the LG) on each side rather than hooking to one eye. Just feels more secure to me. I bought miniature bungees at Northern Equipment and always double them up in case one would break. On the tail I just use a larger bungee over the tail just in front of the fin. For protection, I use a two inch thick piece of foam rubber between the bungee and the fuselage. Under the fuselage I use a thick wood block, again with a piece of foam on it, to support the tail. The main thing is to completely tie down everything in a trailer, using whatever method you choose. If you ever have anything come loose, you will know why this is so important. I have never had a problem but I have seen other guys open their trailer doors just to see their pride and joy, flipped upside down and smashed on another plane, etc. It can get ugly in there!

Even the best of our trailers are very lightly loaded and will bounce quite a bit.

Roger S.