Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Just Getting Started, STX

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:23 AM
CA_Fun_N_Sun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Getting Started, STX

Well the shipping from www.RUFaster.com was amazing. Like 5 days from when I bought it on ebay. THX

I'm doing my best to be patient AND do the whole thing right. Gonna learn to drive well before going in for any real upgrades n such, though I am excited about getting some of that aluminum gear you've all been so good at posting throughout the forums. thx again.

pre-1st-- lol I'm completely new to the whole RC Nitro scene, but I'm here for the long run. so all info from you experienced guys n gals is appreciated.

1st-- I'm trying to double check everything (screws, fittings, no binding, hoses, etc) and was about to start on my Engine break in (Heat cycle Method). The ribbed cylinder surrounding the glow plug has 4 holes in it. Is this a heat sink?

Is this common? and if so, how do I get em off to get down to the carb. My needle nose pliers won't fit (tho I'll happily get new ones that would fit if thats what I need).

2nd-- Is the back plate the recoil unit for the draw string? It's the only plate on the back of the engine that I can tell.

3rd--From what I've seen, certain parts are compatible with our STX (Like HPI MT2 parts fit as well as HPI SuperNitro RS4 and some others) Does that mean that all the usable parts we find will make the all those parts from those models usable?

I'm thinking I should really break down the whole kit and build it back up so I have a more complete understanding of the car, but w/o the experience of getting to know my car, I'd be worried about misadjusting something before I'm even aware of it.

Thanks in advance, I'm willing to listen to any and all information that you'd think a new guy might want/need to hear. hehe

edit: Oh ya, Can you lubricate the gears with Liquid Graphite? I know I read Castor in some thread, but don't remember what/where it went.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:52 AM
rtk23

Default RE: Just Getting Started, STX

To get the glow plug out get a glow plug remover or use a socket.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:32 AM
CA_Fun_N_Sun

Default RE: Just Getting Started, STX

K got everything I needed and ran 5 tanks thru the heat cycle method of breaking it in. Only to discover something is binding and keeping me from achieving a steady idle. In my, and other racers offering advice, it seems to be the clutch. I'm going to contact my retailer and see if I should bother to take it apart or whether he'll just send me a new one after some more information exchange.

On a more positive note, the track was fun and everyone helpful. I was really suprised how much my Volcano got people's attention and lots of questions and compliments on it. Even not running the track, just breaking in the engine LOL