Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

anyone had any experience with

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

anyone had any experience with

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:33 PM
CoyoteFlyer
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone had any experience with

HYDRO EXTREME by LASERKUTZ, distributed by HORIZON HOBBYS
Has anyone built one of these? I built one and cannot get it to balance without mounting the battery outside of the radio compartment....or adding weight to the tail....not what you want to do with a weight critical model.
I thought of mounting the battery underneath but was advised not to do this because it could get wet when flying off water.
I built this kit per the instruction book and used the suggested equipment. I am very disapointed in this kit.
Any insite would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Knighthawk2100

Default RE: anyone had any experience with

I also bought this kit, I finished beuilding it yesterday I haven't tryed the balance it, will do that Tue. I will tell you how It worked for me. This kit was AWFUL. I have never been so pissed in my life building this kit. I am not new to the hobby or to foamys and it's construction was awful the manual was awful. I felt so ripped off. I think both of us got rippped off. I didn't know horizon distrubuted it. I just posted in another post about how good horizon was. I may have to go take that back.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Knighthawk2100

Well, finished it up today it is so nose heavy it isn't even funny. This was the worst engineering I have ever seen. I will never buy another model when there is stuff spelt wrong on the box. That should have been the first clue. Did some research on www.laserkutz.com They seem to be just a garage company (not that that makes the product bad). I can't believe horizon would sell it though, since they are always preaching quality control. I am gonna start making a coroplast/balsa hybrid of this tonight.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Matt14x

Knighthawk

Please,Please, Please build a balsa hydro. Make it big enough to take a 91 fs.
Also, Please read Hydro-foam by Michael Connely before you start your balsa build. It really helped me with my fff hydro build.

Matt
Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 PM
CoyoteFlyer

The HYDRO EXTREME was the first depron foam kit I ever built. I have been building models from kits or from scratch since the late 70's (yea, I'm an old f***) so I know how to build.
I called the company and spoke to "Mike" one of the owners. He asked me to send a couple of pics which I did last night. I haven't heard anything yet.
I'm going to try to put the motor on the backside of the motor mount and see if that helps.
In the meantime, call Horizon and complain.
Mike
Old 04-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Knighthawk2100

Well added about 3 oz to the rear. Yes 3 OZ!!!!!!!!!! and it balanced. Took it outside throttled up and POW boat nosed over and prop hit the ground. Added a few washers to the motor mount to give more up thrust and tried again. Drove around the yard which was OK. I am charging up the battery now, and will take it to the park. Already found and read a lot from Michael Connelly. Also found some good posts at spadworld. I was gonna make an electric coroplast/balsa Version, but am worried about weight. I am thinking of making an all coro gas version since I don't have any float planes and want to float fly this year. Maybe a 25 or 32 or maybe a 46. But a 91FS your sick really really sick[>:]. I'll think about it though. Also coyoteflyer did you motor fit the mount? I could only get two holes to line up diagonal from one another. This is probably the worst thing I bought the only good news is I traced all the parts as I went along so I have templates to work from. Gonna start putting them in solid works tonight. I want to make coro ones since these will be a blast to combat with. The one problem with this hobby is sorting out the good from the junk.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:26 PM
CoyoteFlyer

UGH! I hate it when I have to add useless weight to a model!
I used the E-Flight 370 outrunner motor in mine. The plastic mounting plate supplied with the motor worked OK. I won't need it if I change to backside mounting.
If I can't mount the motor on the backside of the motormount, I think I will cut the CF tube and shorten it.
Good point about up-thrust, I will have to keep that in mind.
I am down here in Florida right now and will be leaving for NY in a couple of days. The Hydro will have to stay here. I was going to buy another kit to take north but now I think I'll look for someone elses verson to fly in NY, maybe FMA's or the one HOBBY LOBBY sells.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Knighthawk2100

Well just got back from test flying. Well I woudent call it test flying. I made it about 30 feet without being able to get off the ground. The prop hit the ground a little and ripped the nose piece right off. I give up I am gonna just call this a loss. I hate being ripped off it is really sad we have to deal with this. I am gonna order one of the miss hangar one. I have seen the plans and it appears to be a better design. A MUCH BETTER motor mount setup. Who ever designed this one was a real moron. What I think happened is they had to change the design alitte so they would't be making an exact copy of Miss Hangar one. And well they changed all the wrong things.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Matt14x

You'll like Connelly's mho. I'll always have one.I haven't tried mine on water yet,but they are a blast on snow.. You'll be suprised how easy they are to fly. Just remember to keep the tail as lite as possible.While you're waiting for yours,you should buil a balsa one for at least a .25 nitro. Then I can build one learning from your mistakes.
The hard part of flying a mho is geting use to a boat in the air.

Matt
Old 04-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Knighthawk2100

Well, I have started an electric version out of 2mm coroplast. Doesn't seem like it will be that much heaver. Once I figure out the AUW when I am done I Have some ideas on how to lighten it up if it is too heavy. If turns out to be too heavy and the weight unfix able I will get a slightly larger Electric motor. I really want one of these to race around at the park. I am thinking combat will be a blast too. Chasing each other on the ground then jumping into the air. I also have a skate park near my house we are gonna get some video of me hitting the ramps and just taking off. Can't wait to see peoples faces. Me and my brother were talking about it today, we are going to start on a .32 size or possibly a .40. I am gonna start float flying this year So one of these in a .40 size will be awesome. I would like to get it scaled up about twice the size. Once I have the weight of it in 2mm coro. I will convert that to 3mm and see how much one twice the size will weigh. This 2mm I am building should be durable as hell. I will start taking pictures tomorrow as I glue it together so you guys can check it out. I love foamies, but lately I have been converting all my electric to coro. I love watching the plane hit the ground bounce and continue to fly.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Matt14x

Hawk

I have to ask a dumb question. What is Coropast and where can I buy it ??

Am looking foreward on your nitro build. willl that be out of corcplast also.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Knighthawk2100

Coroplast is corrugated plastic. It is like a plastic cardboard. It is used to make signs. Many of the cigarette signs at convenience stores are made of this material it comes in different thicknesses most used is 2mm and 3mm. I buy it from harborsales http://www.harborsales.net/fullsheet...astic%20Sheets Also check out www.spadtothebone.com it is a site with all plans made out of coro. My electric is almost done, but it is coming in at about 10 oz just the plane. This isn't too bad, but the e-flight 370 I have will probably not get it off the ground. hopefully I can find the money to get a bigger motor. This thing will be awsome and indestructable.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Matt14x

Thanks Knighawk

I think I saw coroplast at a ststionary store. i have a hot .25 OS That just might work in a hydro if I keep it under 30 oz. I'll have fon fold foam sponsons, coroplast deck, (24"x36"), And a built up balsa profile fuse.. I don,t expect it to fly as good as Connelleys' hydro, but I can try. Once I get started on this build ,Ill finish it. The trouble is getting started. I know Ill have to keep it on the design table for a while because I hate doing it twice.

Matt

PS Would you know what a 24"x36" piece of coroplast weighs?/ 2mm or 3mm or what ever.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Matt14x

Correction

If I can keep it under 3 lbs.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:06 PM
CoyoteFlyer

OK guys here's the poop.
I spoke to the manufacturer/designer today. I had sent him picturers of my hydro and he said everything looked fine. Then we had a long discussion about CG. Turns out there is a typo in the instructions. The CG should be 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" (not 2-1/2 to 2-3/4") from the "leading edge". The balance point is right at the step on the sponsons.
This should make things easier.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Knighthawk2100

See If I made my balance point forward more than the thing noses over with throttle. Well I already ripped mine to pieces when the prop hit the ground. I finished the one out of coro it came to an all out weight of 14oz with battery the e-flight 370 was not enough to move it across the ground. Tried some hand launches, but the fuse is a little warped and it would just roll hard. I built it way to fast only took me a few hours. I am gonna start on a 46 size about twice the size of the electric. I am going to use 3mm for the fuse bottom, but am thinking of cutting the sponsors out of solid foam. That should make it very durable. Will probably start another electric version this weekend taking it slow. I will need to save money for a new motor thinking one of the e-flight 400's I HATE building things twice, but really want one of these. The gas version should be a blast to fly.