Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

scale warbird question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

scale warbird question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:01 PM
andrew66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scale warbird question

hey, i am currently looking for a hawker tempest model. so far i have found 2 kits and am not really sure which one to get. both are laser cut kits and have detailed instruction manuals, but i was wondering which one i should get. the first one is a .25 sized kit that is designed for glow or electric and landing gear is optional ( i will be using landing gear and the glow setup) it is apparently available at rwdrc.com, but i cant seem to get to the webpage (i just get a message saying that the page is unavailable. the other model is a .45 size and is available from skyshark models. both look like great kits, but i was wondering if the .25 or the .45 would be better. i dont have the biggest shop in the world, but i knda like the smaller model. i also was wondering how i could get to the rwdrc website to see more details.
any input would be greatly appreciated
thx
Old 01-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: scale warbird question

Can't comment on the 25 size plane.

The SkyShark Tempest is a nice kit, BUT, it is more of an advanced kit then your typical Top Flight kit. If you go with the Skyshark kit (or any tempest for that matter ), be prepared to add lead to the nose because of the short nose/long tail. The instructions from Skyshark are quite detailed and complete - you should not have any problems as long as you follow them.

If you go for retracts or plan on glassing the plane, definitely plan on using a 61 or 75 (or equivilant 4 stroke) in the bird. Again, make sure the retracts fit the cutouts in the ply mounting block BEFORE installing the mounts.

The other thing I suggest with the Skyshark kit (even though the instructions do not say anything about this ) is adding backing blocks to the hinge locations on all your control surfaces.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Go to the scale electric forum at www.rcgroups.com and do a search for the RWDRC Tempest and Sea Fury. There have been multiple builds of both of these birds on the rc groups forum. Ron Daniels, owner of RWDRC, is a regular contributor at the site. I'm not sure Ron is offering kits at this time which may explain why the web site is not working.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:49 AM
andrew66

thanx for the input., but would it be easier to fly a smaller model or is bigger better? i am kinda on a budget here, so i have about a $600 limit to complete the plane. i will be using my jr quatro 4ch, so this plane wont be equiped with retracts or any other cool add ons. in the future i do plan on getting a 7 ch radio and selling my quatro, or i might keep it so i can teach others when im experienced enough.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Bigger flies better but I'm not sure there is enough size difference between the Skyshark and the RWCRC kits to make much difference. Whichever you choose, build it light and straight and it will fly fine.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:34 AM
andrew66

i guess the 40 migh be better b/c i could also use it in wider variety of planes in case the worst happens
thx for the input
Old 04-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Ron Daniels

Hi Andrew,

Chad is correct. I am not currently offering any kits. I am out of everything except 1 Super Chipmunk, and a few V1's. I have returned to University, and I don't have the time flexibility that I need to properly look after my customers.

As for the Tempest, here is a picture of mine landing at the Canadian Nat's last year. Very, very windy day, but all landings were greasers on the mains.

This one is powered by an FX.25, but I usually fly them with 10 cell electric set-ups. With an AXI 2820-10 and an 3100 LiPo pack, the weight is about the same as a .25 with a full 6 ounce tank, and duration is about 2-3 times as long for the electric. Accelleration is also a bit better, due to the much larger prop used for the electric set-up.

It is 45.1" span, and 367 sq in. With air retracts, working bomb drops, and a fiberglass finish, this one weighs about 3 1/4 lbs, with a full tank of glow fuel. Handling is excellent. It is so stable, that I had it flat out at 1 1/2 feet on its test flight.

On the Hawker Tempest Page, there is a thorough review of this kit, my V1, and several other Tempest kits.

Ron Daniels