Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

engine compression

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:41 PM
martinanderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine compression

I recently broke my cluch spring and so i took the engine out of the buggy, i noticed the thing turns over very easy. like it dont have very much compression or something, i have ran about 12 or so tanks through it and it has been ran very rich, temp was 253 to 258 after tuning, i checked with two guages. it also has a nice stream of blue smoke out the exhaust. is this normal or is my engine already shot. i took off head and everything looks great. i dont have a compression guage to take a reading but still my plane engines turn over alot more harder but they are also .46 and bigger engines maybe that is the difference, also what is compression on these things new supose to be? thanks for lookin

martin
Old 04-11-2006, 08:47 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine compression

hi martin,

there is much more compression on a .46 or .60 nitro plance engine than in a .18 nitro engine. I was actually at my lhs talking to the guy about an hpi nitro star.15 and was saying it has like no compression when you pull on it but yet it runs the truck like a raped ape. he said that as long as it runs good, runs steady and has power then dont worry.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 PM
martinanderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine compression

thanks i figured that it runs pretty hard but seems to want to cut out full throttle and it dies if i lean it out and dies if i richen it up, so i figured i will live with it until the engine is shot since it is the one needle wonder which you already know that we chated about it before, it is fine at about idle to 3/4 throttle (it runs good enought to break, rear a-arm, shock tower and bend shock, front door mount and make the engine gear wear very good just waiting for the trans gears to strip[>:]I wish they would make em better) but anyways thanks i'm not going to worry about it then.

martin