Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

tornado xp gear help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:48 PM
paxtonsharp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tornado xp gear help

I CUT A SMALL SHIM TO COVER THE SPUR GEARS. HAD THE SAME PROBLEM STRIPING SPURS AN REALIZED DIRT AND TRASH WAS GETTING IN FROM THE HOLE IN THE FRAME FROM THE BOTTEM. THESE BUGGYS SET REAL LOW AND IT DOESNT TAKE MUCH TO STRIP YOUR SPURS. ONE WEEK OF HAAARD RUNNING AND MY SPURS LOOK BRAND NEW!! ALSO 2.2 TRAXXAS RIMS WITH THE INSIDE FINS TRIMED DOWN WILL FIT AND GIVE YOU ABOUT A HALF INCH MORE GROUND CLEARNCE.I USED TEAM LOOSE PIN NOBBIES THAT ARE SHORTER THAN STOCK TRAXXAS STAMPEED TIRES BUT ABOUT A HALF INCH TALLER AND 1 INCH WIDER THAN THE TORNADO TIRES IT STILL LEAVES SPINNING BUT DOSENT JUST DISENTAGRATE THE TIRES. ILL POST PICTS LATTER,AND PARTS THAT I MAKE. IM A MACHINEST SO I LIKE TO MAKE BETTER PARTS. IM WORKING ON FRONT STEARING HUBS NOW. WILL UPDATE LATTER.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Popper252

Default RE: tornado xp gear help

Awesome, Looking forward to see what you've got.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:30 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine stripped and i was on road, paved street, no debris, i think the clutch bell's teeth are no good and are causing the problem.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:49 PM
paxtonsharp

IM STILL ON MY SECOND SET AFTER THE I MADE THE SPUR COVER. I DID REPLACE BOTH SPURS AND THE CLUTCH BELL, IT TOOK ME ABOUT 35 MIN. TO ADUST THE MOTOR JUST RIGHT, EVERY TIME YOU TIGHTEN THE SCREWS IT COULD MOVE. IF ITS NOT JUST RIGHT THEY WONT LAST!!! OH BY THE WAY I WAS ON PAVEMENT WHEN MINE BROKE ALSO, BUT I FOUND A FEW SMALL SMALL ROCKS WHEN I TOOK IT APART. WITH 2 SPURS THAT CLOSE TOGTHER A VERY SMALL AMOUNT IS ALL IT TAKES, AND ONCE YOUR SPURS START TO LOOK KINDA RUFF THELL GO QUICK. THATS A LOTA POWER ON PLASTICK. I PUT MY TORNADO ON THE RADAR GUN 3 TIMES AND IT RAN 36 MPH IN FIRST GEAR!!!! MY CLUTCH FOR SECOND IS BAD SO FIRST IS ALL I HAVE RIGHT NOW.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:52 PM
ehroof

i have a radar gun and clocked it at 41mph at several passes. I think the problem with these is the clutch bell, if you look at your teeth you will see they are kinda frayed, my tornado xp and volcano both look kinda the same. my other clutch bell teeth from my other non redcat cars look nicely cut. I will try to file the teeth a little to deburr them and see what happens.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:18 PM
paxtonsharp

WAS THAT IN 1ST GEAR ONLY OR DID IT SHIFT? BY THE WAY YOU CAN CLICK MY PHTO GALLY AND SEE SOME PICTS, MABY NOT THE BEST TOOK THEM IN A HURRY. WILL TAKE BETTER ONES LATTER.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:31 PM
ehroof

that was in 2nd gear, i really didnt have it dialed in 100% but the gears blew out, changed them and they blew out again, ordered another set, will change and see if i have time to radar again.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:36 PM
ehroof

by the way sometimes that spur saver is not good because if a small rock or debris get stuck there, there is no way for it to get out so it kinda traps it in there. your better off leaving it open so any rocks that can get kicked up inside the body have a way out. I know it seems like a good idea but thats why they are designed with the opening, so nothing can get stuck between the gear and your spur saver, it will strip the spur 123.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:51 PM
paxtonsharp

IM THINKING ABOUT MACHINING A CASE FROM BILLIT SO NO SPURS ARE SHOWING.OR AT LEAST A WRAP AROUND COVER. I LIVE IN THE WOODS SO FOR NOW ITS BETTER THAN AN OPEN HOLE. THE HUB WORKS REAL GOOD. DONT KNOW YET HOW MUCH I WOULD CHARGE TO BUILD FOR SOMEONE,SMALL PARTS TAKE ALOT OF TIME TO MACHINE. BUT SLOWLY I WILL BUILD THE ENTIRE FT. END OUT OF BILLIT.