Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:52 PM
N3W2R/C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Redcat Racing TRUCK thread

ok
thats awsome thank you

Logan
Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 PM
jcam54

I've been useing a Dynamite Sport Plug for .12-.15 for my Volcano for @ 3/4 a gallon of 20% nitro....and that is really hard running too!
The package says it is a med. heat range plug...my lhs recomended it after frying other plugs from various manufacturers.

Part # DYN2500
Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 PM
jcam54

Whats up guys!!??

Still no word from Xeller8?...I bet he locked himself in that paint shop of his to create another Frankenstein truggy.

Anything new going on?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
blackdogafd

hey whats up there jcam? good to hear about your glo plugs.
i finally went through my first quart of 20% trinity monster. and teh car is running great, gotta always retune it everytime i go out cause of change in temp but it only takes a sec or two.

Just broke the steering arm and bent the left frt dogbone but no biggie
Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 PM
jcam54

Man it sounds like you run that buggy as if you're runin the baja 1000!!

Thats great though about your motor running so good for you!! It's nice to hear when people are enjoying their nitros!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:15 PM
jcam54

I've been beating the heck out of my truck...ie...jumped...crashed...wheel flew off...chased wheel down...tried to find lost nut, hex nut, hex nut pin, new axle adapter/spacer for new wheel...guess what....the grass won and won't give them back----I really don't like this hide and seek crap!!! LMAO!!!

whats your out side temps been like?--mine are mid 80's to low 90's here in S.A
Old 04-11-2006, 10:17 PM
blackdogafd

the temps up here have been ranging from the 50's to lower 70's this past week, not bad but their calling for more rain and thunderstorms coming my way so its gonna stink up here for while

yeah well i was dumb and ran it on brand new asphalt and the car went alittle to far and deciecded to climb a unclimbable sidewalk lol!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 PM
jcam54

Hey wait a minute...were you copying me!!! Those curbs do like to jump out and bite!

Anyways it's not stupidity it's how do you say...self education through calculated error! LOL!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Xeller8

Hey guys...I'm still alive...just lots going on in real life!...the shop has been real busy and the new woman tends to take up a bit of my free time.

Anyways...gonna take DAYS to catch up on the forums...YIKES!

Hey blackdog...not sure if your question about weather and tuning from a few pages ago got answered or not...but in warmer weather you will want to lean down a bit.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
blackdogafd

ORIGINAL: Xeller8

Hey guys...I'm still alive...just lots going on in real life!...the shop has been real busy and the new woman tends to take up a bit of my free time.

Anyways...gonna take DAYS to catch up on the forums...YIKES!

Hey blackdog...not sure if your question about weather and tuning from a few pages ago got answered or not...but in warmer weather you will want to lean down a bit.
hey thanks man! and its good to see you still here!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
cocheese

Hey guys, I just got my Volcano on Monday and it is pretty sweet so far. I took the glow plug out and put some WD40 in it and turned over the engine a few times before I put gas in it and after I gassed it up, it fired right up. It runs great so far, I hit a tree, and flipped it three times and nothing broke. I am very happy so far. I bought a Venom failsafe and a inline fuel filter for it (I can't seem to get the fail safe working though. Oh well, I'll have to take it to the lhs to see what's wrong.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:38 PM
blackdogafd

good to hear ya got it going man!!!! double check your venom's instructions again. something might be in there about your problem
Old 04-12-2006, 08:45 PM
cocheese

I checked the instructions and the venom website. I think it is defective.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:48 PM
blackdogafd

that could be a possiblity try and contact venom directly, and let them know about your problem
Old 04-13-2006, 01:19 AM
pom08

finally got my volcano tuned up nice now and is running great!!! i installed a dubro inline fuel filter the other day as well. now all i need is the real axle parts in aluminum and i still have to order the MT2 parts for the front end and i'll be all set. i've also been working up to jumping my truck.... nothing major yet just little ones. gets a bit squirrly though and makes me a bit nervous. plus i found a dodge ram racing body 400mm on tower hobbies that i'm thinking about ordering. have to convince the wife first though
Old 04-13-2006, 03:30 PM
cocheese

Got my truck on Monday and the First day I drove it ran great (2 tanks of fuel). When I got it out today, I started it up and it doesn't want to stay running. I havn't adjusted anything yet. I don't know if the glow plug is bad or I don't have the engine/throttle adjusted properly. I am gona go to the hobby store tomorrow to see if they can tune it for me. Any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2006, 04:24 PM
stewtheman

OK, Hello everybody! I've been reading this forum like mad for the past week and cannot wait to get my Volcano STX! It's due to arrive this Tuesday (although it's a birthday present and my birthday isn't until Friday, but we'll see what I can do). Anyhow, I feel very fortunate to have so much knowledge and help at my fingertips and want to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. It's really good stuff!

I have been confused about these hubs that everyone has said is the weakest link. What exactly is a hub and what is its part number? I can't find anything with that name and have just assumed it's an axle. Is that totally ridiculous? While I'm waiting for this truck I thought I should order most of the parts that everyone has been reporting as weak and therefore would like to know the part number for these hubs. So, can anyone or several give me a list of the most commonly broken parts so I can have the right back up parts?

I've been flying nitro and electric airplanes for a year and a half now and this is my first ground purchase, although most of my planes mysteriously gravitate to the ground at very high speeds! So, I want to be very careful that I break in the engine properly and spend a good bit of time getting it properly tuned and starting this new arena the right way. And that brings up my next question. What is the best type of fuel for this engine? I have two gallons of WildCat Premium Xtra which is 15% nitro and 18% oil (80/20 synthetic/castor) and I would really like to be able to use that fuel if it'll work. It seems that just about everyone here uses 20% nitro but I've read that this size of engine is good with anything between 10% and 20%. And this oil content subject has had me a little confused at times. I called the LHS to ask about wether or not I could use my fuel and they said no because the oil content needs to be at least 20%, but most of my internet research told me that cars usually need oil in the 8% to 12% range. So, there's a minor contradiction there. And then you have all those warnings about not using airplane fuels in cars (and my WildCat was purchased for my planes), but a few sources said that was more or less an attempt by the car companies to sell their over-priced car fuels because a little extra oil never hurt anything. So, anyone care to impart some further wisdom or maybe give me some good old-fashioned first-hand knowledge from experience?

Well, that's all I have for now. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2006, 04:47 PM
entity
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

well thanks for joining.. bottom line is this.. break it in right.. keep it well maintained.. don't go crazy with it and i say use 20% nitro.. You will be fine.. Be prepared after each run to clean it well.. to add run oil to the motor after each run.. to be very easy on the pullstart. Check all screws and bolts. For looseness.. And just run it for a while without the body on.. Peace.. And welcome.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:54 PM
entity
Banned

cocheese.. pull your plug out. and hook up your glo plug ignitor.. But make sure you ignitor is fully charged.. if it glows nice and bright.. but smokes a tick.. it's wet.. let it do it for just a few seconds.. then reinstall it.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
futabaed

Good point entity,remember with almost any thang you get warm/then cold will create some minor codensation inside.

Welcome "stewtheman" Glad too have ya here!

Any high oil nitro will be good for your engine to break it in but I do use 20% traxxas fuel for mine.(25% when Its running good)

As for X-tra parts here is a list of the most comonly broken or replaced parts:
#02013 rear axle holders
# 02014 steering arms
#02015 door mounts
also get yourself an extra diff gear wheel set part
# 08013

They are all at http://www.redcatracing.com/

*Also remember to go over every screw and make sure there tight when you get your truck.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:45 PM
entity
Banned

amen.. lol.. were here to help.. they are well worth the money.. But if your a newbie to nitro or rc in general, then yes.. be prepared to put some some money into them. And that goes with any rc machine.. And ask a ton of questions. No question is silly and be careful..
Old 04-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Popper252

To continue with what entity was saying, be very careful... things tend to pop up in front of these things a lot. Watch out for those fence posts and various other things like other peoples ankles. Trust me these little guys will leave a nasty bruise, and I know that because of "some good old-fashioned first-hand knowledge from experience." [:@] But once you get all the kinks ironed out man are these guys fun. You should have a great time with yours. Another thing you might want to add to that parts list would be a new pull starter for the engine, either that or an electric start unit. Honestly I prefer the pullstart, i hate carrying around more stuff than I need. If you get it broken in and tuned right it should start on the first couple pulls everytime. But anyways, welcome to the community and we're glad to have ya.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:33 PM
stewtheman

You know, I'd like to think I'm going to be really careful with this truck, but my track record tells a different story. With my planes I am always pushing the envelope of my abilities and that has led to a fairly short lifetime for each of them. But, to me that's the fun, being able to try a new model out and start over. I also sell a lot of airplane related stuff on eBay which allows me to continue this hobby (as the wife certainly does not allow me to spend "OUR" money on my hobbies, or more accurately put, "HER" money). Anyhow, I will be sure to check all those nuts and bolts and give myself a nice large obstacle-free area to learn.

I am still wondering on the part number and possibly the alias for hubs. Thanks for all the advice and welcomes!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Popper252

Lets see, those hubs they're talking about are what redcat likes to call "the steering arms" and the "doortype mount."

These two parts take a lot of abuse and are usually the first things to go when you crash. (and from the sound of things you're gonna be crashing a lot )
If you want a picture of them off of my buggy I could take one and post it later for ya.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:10 PM
DiTi

http://www.redcatracing.com/vehicle_...m?vehicle_id=6

is that a mistake or is it for real? I am not trying to be sarcastic, but it strikes me as odd: each aloy arm costs half the truck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.