Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Sean Tucker Mayday

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:11 PM
de camara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sean Tucker Mayday

[]

ANN Is Posting Breaking Stories, In REALTIME... Stay Tuned!

Top News

Sean Tucker Bails Out Of 'Oracle Challenger'
Tue, 04 Apr '06

ANN REALTIME Update: 04.04.06, 1532 EDT: It appears that the control malfunction that downed Sean Tucker's beloved biplane was a broken control stick. According to a number of reports, Sean's control stick broke shortly after takeoff from the Red River Regional Airport and required some fancy flying to keep it in the air, and to nurse it to a safe altitude and area while he attempted to diagnose the problem and the chances for a safe landing.

Upon determining that a safe landing was not possible (and let's face it, if anyone could have, Sean is the guy), Sean maneuvered over unpopulated territory and exited the aircraft., Despite getting hung up temporarily on the tail, Sean freed himself and managed a controlled deployment and safe landing using a Para-Phernalia emergency parachute.

Initial Report, 04.04.06, 1251 EDT: Details are somewhat sketchy for the moment, but ANN has confirmed that Aerobatic Pilot Sean D. Tucker had to bail out of his 'Oracle Challenger' biplane today.

The aircraft was being used in a practice session when a control malfunction occurred requiring some 15 minutes of trouble-shooting before Sean was forced to leave the aircraft at a reported 8000 feet.

The aircraft went down over Coushatta, some 40 nm South of Shreveport, Louisiana and impacted in an open field after Sean deliberately chose an area likely to produce no hazards to anyone. The accident occurred at 1045 local time, the aircraft is pretty much destroyed, and most important of all -- Sean landed with no injuries.

While Sean was scheduled to perform in Lakeland this weekend, there is no word on the future status of his airshow schedule.

ANN will have more info when it becomes available.

FMI: www.poweraerobatics.com
Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sean Tucker Mayday

THe good thing is it sounds like he is ok. I have been watching Sean Tucker ever since he made the big airshow circut (I live 45 min's from EAA Air Adventure). I remember his black Rayban Pitts, the 1-800-COLLECT Challanger, and last but not least the Oracle Challanger. He has been my favorite Air Show pilot for years and I hope he gets back in the seat by Air Adventure 2006 in July.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:40 PM
ShoestringRacer

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/25748...?video=YHI&t=a
Old 04-06-2006, 09:15 PM
de camara

Cool link.
But I couldn't get the video to play no matter what I tried.

???
Old 04-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

worked fine for me....
Old 04-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Taildragger726

NTSB Identification: DFW06LA094
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, April 04, 2006 in Coushatta, LA
Aircraft: Aviation Specialties Unlimited Challenger II, registration: N260HP
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On April 4, 2006, approximately 1030 central daylight time, a single-engine Aviation Specialties Unlimited, Challenger II experimental airplane, N260HP, was destroyed when it impacted terrain during an uncontrolled descent after the pilot parachuted from the airplane near Coushatta, Louisiana. The airplane was registered to Pitts S2B, LLC and was operated by a private individual. The commercial pilot, sole occupant of the airplane, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal aerobatic flight. The local flight originated from the Red River Airport, near Coushatta, Louisiana.

A member of the pilot's ground crew stated during an initial telephone report that the pilot departed the airport and proceeded to a local aerobatic practice area. While performing aerobatic maneuvers, the airplane experienced a failure of the elevator control system. The pilot was able re-establish pitch control with the aid of the elevator control trim and managed to maneuver the airplane to a safe altitude over an inhabited area. Once over a safe area, the pilot elected to exit the airplane and deploy his parachute. There were no reported ground injuries.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
erikpmort
My Feedback: (52)

oh man that is the prettiest piece of machine that went down..... hurts me to watch
Old 04-11-2006, 12:16 AM
erikpmort
My Feedback: (52)

ah I still can't believe it..... ever watched the movies the way he yanks on the stick? I wonder which part of the stick broke..... That would be so hard to jump out of that thing and leave it..... should've had a parachute installed like the cirrus planes!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Taildragger726

Sean was flying a routine at S-N-F in a Columbia 400. Part of their upset recovery program. A far cry from his normal flying. It was still interesting to see a GA airplane doing loops and rolls at low level.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:34 PM
AU cary
My Feedback: (1)

man i hope someone got the 400 on tape, i would love to see that!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Dirtnaper
My Feedback: (11)

There use to be an old guy by the name of "Hoover" that would do outrageous things in regular GA planes too[:-]
Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 PM
theradioflyer

Anyone who hasn't seen Bob in action has never seen a pilot in complete control. That sucks Sean smashed the Challenger. I knew a mechanic for Duncan aviaition that told me a story about how one of Sean's mechanics was ferrying his Pitts to another event and smashed into a mountain killing him and one of the first of Seans Challengers, back when he flew the 1-800-COLLECT Pitts. Thank God he's alvive and well. I had a chance to see him practice the ribbon cut at Battle Creek and he scraped his right wing tip on the runway, it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen! I read in a pilot magazine that Bob Hoover said to Sean that he'd better back it off alittle or he was afraid he be at his funeral, this was at least 5 yrs back. Long Live Sean
Old 05-31-2006, 09:49 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Bob's motto was "always leave a way out". That is being in perfect control.
Sean is an awesome pilot, this is number three though. First his broken vertabre in the neck, the ferry pilot, and now this.
Wayne Handley new after his mis-hap in the Turbo Raven the time had come to give it up, I wonder how this will affect Sean.