Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Help ID this engine please ?

Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Lancair-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ID this engine please ?

Hiya all,
I know very little about spark ignition engines and need some help with this one.

I picked it up from a friend for next to nothing. He bought it from a retired old gent who was giving up RC flying due to failing health. According to the original owner the engine is a Ryobi, US made version and converted in the USA for RC use.
The only identifying marks are "phelon" stamped in the flywheel and "Walbro" on the carby. A quick search turned up Phelon as makers of flywheels and ignition systems.
If someone can help out it would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59129.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	443619  
Old 04-11-2006, 07:47 PM
flyjoe540

Default RE: Help ID this engine please ?

howdy
yes it is a ryobi weed wacker engine probably a 31cc
Old 04-11-2006, 08:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of them had phelon ignitions and Walbro carbs. Some had Zama carbs.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Lancair-RCU

Excellant. Thanks for the replies.

Now can someone tell me or point me in the right direction to learn more about the engine. In particular the carby and ignition system ? or in other words, " how the heck do I make it go now"

Thanks
Old 04-11-2006, 09:13 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you have spark. Mix up some fresh 2 cycle gas with lube in fuel...just like for a chain saw. Make sure all fuel lines ect are in good condition. Clean or buy new spark plug. You will need a electric starter to turn it fast enough to start. Put a shot of fuel in carb helps. Now give all that a try. Let us know what happens. Also the engine should have compression. Good Luck Capt,n
Old 04-11-2006, 10:17 PM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it has been sitting for a while it may need a new pump in the carb
Old 04-12-2006, 03:30 AM
Lancair-RCU

OK, I needed to be more clear in my request.
The engine does not have any wiring other than the lead from ? magneto ? the spark plug. This lead is sheathed in a wire mesh sleave. The last 2 inches of the plug lead has a type of aluminum foil wrapped around it. There is a wire that is tech screwed into a cooling fin adjacent to the plug, that runs to and winds around the plug lead. If you look closely at the above picture you can see all that is there.

With the plug out of the engine and held against the fins, I get NO spark what so ever and Ive worn my arm out trying to spin the prop faster. I should get spark when I do this ? ? Yes

On the ? magneto ? (I dont know what its called for sure) there are two blade type connectors but nothing connected. What if anything goes here ?

Cheers for your help guys.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 AM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the plug out of the engine and held against the fins, I get NO spark what so ever and Ive worn my arm out trying to spin the prop faster. I should get spark when I do this ? ? Yes

No , spin it with a starter , with the plug grounged to the engine.

On the ? magneto ? (I dont know what its called for sure) there are two blade type connectors but nothing connected. What if anything goes here ?

this is where you hook a wire going to a switch and on the other side of the switch hook a wire and run it back to the engine and hook it somewhere on the engine,IE , mounting bolt,cylinder bolt , something that will ground the wire.

OK, I needed to be more clear in my request.
The engine does not have any wiring other than the lead from ? magneto ? the spark plug. This lead is sheathed in a wire mesh sleave. The last 2 inches of the plug lead has a type of aluminum foil wrapped around it. There is a wire that is tech screwed into a cooling fin adjacent to the plug, that runs to and winds around the plug lead. If you look closely at the above picture you can see all that is there.

the lead on the plug indicates to me the previos user must have had an interference problem. Make sure you have a resister plug before trying to fly with this engine, 2nd the coil may be bad, you probably can not spin it fast enough to see a spark by hand, once you have it all in top shape and carb set and working proper then it should hand start. The wire tech screwed to the fin should be for a ground to the coil , that should be ok , it is needed to kill the engine with a switch

Hope this helps I normally do not do this much typing at one time, lots of poking lol
Old 04-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Lancair-RCU

Ive been busy with other models etc etc, thanks for the reply.

Ive spun the motor with a starter with the plug grounded against the engine and got what Id call a weak spark. Next step is connect up a switch and fuel tank and see if itll run.

Lancair