TO THOSE FLYING AT REGULAR IMAC COMPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:03 PM
IanB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TO THOSE FLYING AT REGULAR IMAC COMPS

Hi there,

Having been to only a few IMAC comps I have noticed there does seem to be an alarming number of mid airs?

If fact, the the last 3 comps i have been at there has been a midair at each one.

Is this a common occurence?

I have asked some friends who have been to a few comps also and have also seen midairs

I know the caller is responsible for telling you to go around.

Do unlimited pilots get to fly by themselves?

Do you guys who go to comps feel there has been an increase in midairs since the schedules were changed to achieve a smaller noise footprint?

Can you post your thoughts, kindest regard IanB
Old 03-22-2006, 01:13 PM
jlkonn

Default RE: TO THOSE FLYING AT REGULAR IMAC COMPS

I just got back in to RC after nearly 20 years.
I used to fly the old AMA pattern.
I can tell you I was always looking out the corner of my eye if the other plane got flying opposite and we would converge at mid field.
I did see a few mid-airs...a lot fewer than I would have ever guessed.
You bring up a good point about the "foot print" now being smaller.
JLK
Old 03-22-2006, 11:59 PM
tobytorkn

ian, i have seen a couple of midairs at an imac. it seems to be more of the schedules being similar in design. it seems when you watch advanced/unlimited sometimes it looks like they are doing formation flying. i don't think a smaller footprint has anything to do with it. look at the 1 to 1.5mile wide rollers people are currently doing. that's definitely not small by any means. i think that sometimes it is best to mix the classes up (i.e. put advanced/unlimited on one line and the other 3 on another) and this seems to relieve some of the "same airspace" jitters. it is also imperative to have a GOOD caller that is not only watching the sequence on the paper but has his/her head up watching the sky. i think as long as you have the plane and field "both" in focus it can help reduce midairs as well. and there is nothing wrong with calling avoidance and breaking from the sequence to save your plane. unfortunately alot of guys will do a fly through and hope for the best instead of pealing off to the right like you do in full scale. hope this helps. toby.... www.silhavyaerosports.net
Old 03-23-2006, 01:49 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

As a pilot you need to be aware. The caller is not responsible for calling breaks. He is reading your figures off of a sheet. He can help, but he can't expected to see everything.

I have see 2 horrible midairs, the worst was last year at our contest. A brand new Comp Arf Superextra on a downline and Andy540T with his new fiberclassics giles on a 45 upline. Spinner to canopy. The two composite wings were splintered together.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Jecarte
My Feedback: (8)

I was at the contest in Midland NC this weekend I saw a horrific midair involving a 25% scale 300 and a 40% JTEC / Radiocraft. Luckily no one was hurt except for some pilots’ pride. It is a dangerous situation, but just being a spectator can be hazardous. Running 2 flight lines is almost necessary with the amount of pilots that attend.

Maybe in the future someone will introduce an insurance system for the big planes; I would pay 20 or 30 dollars a year for coverage for this type of situation where if you loose a plane in a midair, you call them up, pay a small deductible, and you get replacement cost for the items destroyed in the crash.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Have Planes Will Travel

I was also in Midland this week end. I was calling for my son, who was flying the 1/4 scale extra. I knew there was another aircraft in the air, yet I never saw it until they hit. My son's extra lost the vertical fin and the right sab. He stayed with the aircraft and brought it down away from the flight line. I have been flying competion for years, AMA and IMAC. I have only seen 3 mid-airs. No-ones fault, it happens. Try as you may, yet if there are more that 1 aircraft in the air at a time, there is a chance of a mid-air, at the practice field or competition.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:43 PM
rcblimppro

In the 7 years I have been flying IMAC I have seen only one midair. The odds are greater of having a midair practicing while others are sport flying. At my local field while practicing I fly pretty far back in the box and yet seem to be asking " What the hell is he doing way out here " refering to a .40 sport model that has gotten in my way 200 yards out.

Shawn
Old 04-16-2006, 06:08 PM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

I've been flying IMAC for a few years, off and on... Never once seen a mid air.

About the only time you get to fly alone is if there is a lull in the sequences. I'll be flying Unlimited again this year. Can't go up any further, but surely not dropping back a class. I'm definately not CHICKEN!!!! I love a challenge! 06 Unl sequence looks like it will be fun!!!

Chris~
Old 05-04-2006, 12:50 AM
Bobby likes 3D

Your caller should be actively involved in helping you avoid a collision. You can call a break without a penalty to avoid a collision. You will be able to complete any incomplete maneuvers from the point at which you called the break.

Bobby
Old 05-07-2006, 10:30 AM
FlyguyXII
My Feedback: (2)

actually you will recieve a penalty if you call a break but if you call an avoidence you will not get a penalty
Old 05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Matt Merciez
My Feedback: (34)

ORIGINAL: FlyguyXII

actually you will recieve a penalty if you call a break but if you call an avoidence you will not get a penalty
In the F&JG-14 under the paragraph for Break in sequence:

A break in the sequence related to safety, weather, for collision avoidance or by request from the judges or the Contest Director should not be penalized.
Is there another section in the F&JG which relates to avoidance?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Bobby likes 3D

YOU SHOULDA GOT OUT YOUR LIL BLACK BINDER ROB...
Old 05-25-2006, 07:33 AM
exeter_acres

it actually could be a good point....

say a judge misses the near miss (they/ we are all human) and the pilot calls "break" instead of "avoidance"

and the judge didn't see it... the two words are two very different things.

Hmmmm... something to think about
Old 05-25-2006, 10:41 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

LOL..

Most of my flying is IMAC.
Generally, its at a competition with another plane in the air. Never an issue.

Last weekend, (Not at a competition) my 42% dalton 260 was destroyed in a mid-air. It can happen anywhere anytime.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:55 AM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ouch!! Sorry to hear about your 260....

I fly pattern and in the last 3 contests we've had a midair at each. You practice flying 150-175 meters from the flightline then put 2 planes in the air at the same time and it an eventuality sad to say.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:07 PM
as722

I've never seen a mid-air at a contest but I have been in three mid-airs since I got in the hobby. They happen when you least expect them.

Albert
Old 05-25-2006, 04:56 PM
texasporty
My Feedback: (7)

I attended all the 2005 SC contest last year but two and I honestly don't remember any midairs. I really don't think there were any in the South Central division during 2005, but can't say that for sure. I know the year before I had one in Waco, Tx, but it was after the contest and was during open flying. There is always that chance when more than one aircraft is flying. You fly these things long enough and its going to happen.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:25 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I am new to IMAC and practicing 2006 sportsman sequence.

This discussion is interesting because looks like I need to pay close attention to avoid mid-air during a contest . Here are some of my questions.

1. In normal contest with 2 airplanes in air, is it true that one should fly close to judges, and one should fly far away? If that is the case, how much spacing should the two pilots maintain? Any guideline?

2. When the pilot announces "break", can he fly the plane in anyway he prefers? Does he have to utter something to resume the sequence?

3. How can I know I am flying in the box? Any practical way to know about it?

Thanks --qc
Old 05-26-2006, 07:02 AM
exeter_acres

1. don't worry too much about it... they run different classes and it is rare that they converge..... and your caller should help too... but don't stress over it...

2... AFAIK, go any way that you want... call avoidance (just make sure the judges know that you took a break for safety... they already should but I learned quickly that you just need to communicate with the judges (they are other flyers from the contest and understand exactly what is going on) and then come around and start the last manuever....

3. There is no such thing as a "box" any more... but according to the rules there is a flying zone...check the rule book (flying and judging guide) section 4.1 and it has all the info needed.

it will all be pretty clear when you go to your first contest... I was scared and stressed and worried.... all for naught ... everyone to a person is willing to help and good to work with...
just go and have fun...

also, it may be too late this year, but next spring, see if you can attend a Flying and Judging seminar... I learned AMAZING amounts of information at ours up here in the NC region... REALLY helped me get my head around what I was practicing......

Cheers and have fun