Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Wow, thats tastes Delicious!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Wow, thats tastes Delicious!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 07:41 AM
rjm1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow, thats tastes Delicious!

Ok...so somtimes I am a complete idiot...this morning was one of those times...

I for some reason felt the need to start the plane up ... but it wouldnt start (i was going to tune the motor, as it was off this weekend and i never messed with it at the field)

It wouldnt prime...so i was going to "help" it a little (had to do it in the past) by just barely blowing into the fill line to push a little up the lines just to where i could see it...

Well...since im such a genius...i forgot to actually turn the plane on...so the carb was were i last left it, full closed...so add a little pressure to the full fuel tank, what happens when you stop giving pressure?

You get a mouthfull of glow fuel...which really isnt as tasty as one might think with its pretty green color....

so yeah, that killed breakfast, a few hours later and I still taste it...yum...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:56 AM
gunfighterII

Default RE: Wow, thats tastes Delicious!

Hi Newbster,
Try switching to the pink stuff, it has castor oil which is a great old time remedy for various ailments!
Same thing would have happened if the carb was open, try the old finger over the carb trick, no aftertaste!
Old 04-04-2006, 07:57 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you must pressurize the tank to get fuel to flow then in most cases there is a problem.

But, to do this just remove the pressure line and use your fuel pump. I do this to pressurize a tank after I have assembled it to check for leaks. I will plug the supply line, hook the pump (no fuel) to the vent line, and pump the tank full of pressure. Pinch off the vent line and remove the pump nad place the whole thing in water and look for bubbles
Old 04-04-2006, 08:11 AM
rjm1982

Its not a constant problem, it usually primes right up (and would have if i wasnt retarded and left the carb closed)

Only once before have i had to really give it some pressure to prime, and that was after it had set for a while and some oil (i think oil, was flaky pink stuff) was clogged in the high speed needle part....I was just tired and not really thinking this morning....i got the engine spot on now though....
Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah yes, the taste of Nitro in the morning! [:'(]
Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 AM
elenasgrumpy
My Feedback: (4)

We all know the pink stuff tastes much better than anything green!!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:46 AM
tuwood

I went to the field once & my trusty electric pump wouldn't work. I was so determined to fly that I hooked the fill line up to the clunk line & started sucking on the vent line. It took me around 5 minutes but I got her filled up & a nice little taste of nitro to boot.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:55 PM
KW_Counter

The Breakfast of Champions!
KW_Counter
Old 04-05-2006, 02:02 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tuwood

I went to the field once & my trusty electric pump wouldn't work. I was so determined to fly that I hooked the fill line up to the clunk line & started sucking on the vent line. It took me around 5 minutes but I got her filled up & a nice little taste of nitro to boot.
[X(][X(][X(][:'(][&:]
Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
campbec

Hi Tony,

I hope you were running synthetic oil rather than castor. The after effects may have been "interesting".[X(]

I hope you have better luck with the new Ultimate.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: campbec

Hi Tony,

I hope you were running synthetic oil rather than castor. The after effects may have been "interesting".[X(]

I hope you have better luck with the new Ultimate.

Cheers,

Colin
it was 80/20. Hopefully that doesn't count as flying under the influence. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Ultiimate 2 will be stronger, faster, & lighter. I'll be starting on it as soon as I can get my hands on a new kit.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Mchwind Chimes
My Feedback: (1)

i use the green cool power because supposidly it burns cleaner cause of the synthetic oil
Old 04-07-2006, 08:52 AM
coolbean

Yeah I've gotten a tase o the pink stuff myself by doing exactly what you describe. Now I prime the engine by covering the exhaust and flipping the prop a few times (without the glow driver attached of course). That is if I am starting by hand. The electric starter flips it fast enough to bring up back pressure and push the fuel up.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:57 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

I would prefer to get glow fuel than to get it in my eyes. I know this from personal experience. I could not see a thing for about 5 mins.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:53 AM
JimInCA

Just as a warning. Please be very careful with glow fuel. A friend of mine in my RC club got an eye full of glow fuel and he almost lost the eye. So please handle the stuff with great care.
JimInCA...
Old 04-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard some of those southern states have a multi purpose fuel. You can use it to run your plane, clean it up after a flight, after run lubricant and if you add some ice, drink it for lunch.[X(]

Old 04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
xcead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the taste of fuel sucks!![:@]
but i prefer having it on my mouth than in my eyes!! one morning the engine was flooded, i didnt notice that and when i turned the prop to start the engine the S... of a B... split right over in my eye
me too couldnt see for over 5 minutes
[:'(]
Old 04-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Another lesson learned the hard way: I had a glow engine flooded - simple fix, just pull the glow plug and spin the engine over. The first mistake was spinning it over with an electric starter instead of by hand. The second mistake was having my head over the engine when I did it. I got glow fuel in my eyes and mouth. Neither was pleasant, but getting it in the eyes is the worst.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:26 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, I just did this the other day... Stupid thing was I wiped my hands on the bottom of my T Shirt. Then I was sweating a little and I wiped my face with my shirt.. My lips started burning and it tasted horrible, then I though YUK and I wiped my mouth on the sleeve of my shirt to try to get the taste off of my tongue. Everytime I would get hot and sweat a little I would forget and wipe my face on my shirt shoulder and I would get that taste all over again. [:'(] I was so glad to get home brush my teeth and change shirts..

Funny but I cant think of another time that I tasted fuel unless I did like the rest of you boneheads and try to prime, or blow a check valve or something else like that with my mouth.. Cant have happened more than 1-2 or 100 times...
Old 04-07-2006, 09:59 PM
rjm1982

Well, the post that started this (mine) isnt really my worst fuel stupidity....

I fell while carrying an open bottle of fuel...soaked my shirt (was at home) dad hollared at me "come here and give me a hand" ... as i walk in...he was sharpening the mower blades on the grinder... Can we imagine what happened to my partially soaked tee-shirt that I was still wearing when i walked right though the trail of sparks...

Luckily it didnt hold, just a real quick flame (im thinking it was the alchohol in it) and nothing else...nice scare though...
Old 04-08-2006, 01:43 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: tuwood

My flight instructor's son has a dilapidated Hangar 9 Xtra Easy 2 w/ a Easy Fly 40 wing. The engine is a O.S. .40 FP with about 20,000 gallons through it, and it still pulls that Xtra Easy along. He soloed last November after 8 years of on and off flight training, and now the Xtra Easy 2 w/ Easy Fly 40 wing hangs from their garage as a trophy. Also, all the field gear he used is still working, sometimes better than mine! His starter which he named Trusty Rusty cranks the engine faster than mine, even if we use the same battery.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:57 AM
VeeAte

Ever heard stories of the old Moonshiners who used to go blind from drinking there own stilled alcohol?........... Thats because they didnt remove the first lot of alcohol that came out of the still which is in fact methanol. Methanol will make you blind from drinking it so I hate to think what a healthy dose in the eyes could do to you. Very lucky no-one was permanently injured. [X(][]
Old 04-20-2006, 02:42 AM
Superchipmunk91

I know you are talking about the taste of glow fuel but i gotta go off subject for a sec, i bought two planes off a friends, one has an O.S. FS-91 Four Stroke, one has a ASP 120 two stroke, she says that the fuel i use with work in both engines, is this true??? its Byron 10 %
Old 04-20-2006, 11:46 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

After getting a healthy dose of glow fuel into my eyes (or should that be unhealthy) I now wear eye protection when fueling my planes. This to some may seem way over the top but when we are born most people are given the gift of sight, I want to protect that as I think it would be hard to fly a plane being guided by a dog and a white stick. my eyes are precious to me, without them I would not be able to look at hot women, but on the bright side I also would not be able to see what my wifes cooking looks like [:'(]