Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 07:53 PM
wave waker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

Urban, hope u have fun..

I called horizon my engine is on shipping, expecting on monday.....so bored so i did some mods..changed the steering linkage with 4-40, put ball link in the throttle linkage, replaced batt with 5 cell 6V 1100nimh, put access hole in the radio box....i just can't wait longer...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp45007.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	449121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54291.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	449122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82950.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	449123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51254.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	449124  
Old 04-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

How is that radio box lid? I never cared for screw-down lids as they take a lot of time to seal up. It looks like there should be a lot of gaps between the screws.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 PM
wave waker

Ron, the lid is quality kind of, bout 2.5mm thickness, the bolts and nuts are pretty sturdy and no worries when thightening it, the only thing is the gasket in between i would say is thin that wil not last long.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If it goes, you might be able to use wing saddle foam tape in its place.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:58 AM
paulleonard

Cool pics...I have one question though...what is the access hole for in the radio box top?...also..beware of the broken shaft syndrome that plauged the shockwave...i've encountered the same problem..Thaankfully I was prepared and already had purchased a new shaft from prather.. i had to cut about 1/4 inch off for length...but runns great...also i'm not so sure ii like the idea of the shaft nut so close to the boat hull..I dont know if your set up has the same issue, but i will prob. epoxy a strip of brass to the hull to atleast keep the shaft nut from grinding a nice hole in the hull...[]...Anyway keep the posts coming!..I also modded my thundercat 31 i will post some pics later...but so far i'm extremly happy with its performance and stability so far....
Old 04-22-2006, 02:15 PM
NJ NETS FAN
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys, anyone have the specs on how fast the boat is? I want to know what the real speed is as I have a shockwave 36 that has been gpsed at 34 mph. If I were to get this boat, I would just buy the hull and transfer everything from my sw36 to the thundercat as it's basically the same boat with just a different hull.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:50 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Yeah I would be interested in hearing some more about this boat. I might order one soon. I have a friend who has a SW 36 & running an octura x447 on it and that thing is a rocket compared to my Miss LLumar running an OS.18 CVRM & octura x640 with a modified bushing to run the larger prop on the stock shaft. Anyways I’m getting smoked by the SW 36 so I was thinking of getting the Thunder cat 31 and putting the same octura x447 on it and hopefully smoke my friends SW. Unless I can find a nicer used cat that someone is selling.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:34 PM
sima

paulleonard, i need your help. I broke-in my thundercat 31 today and all went well, have 50 minutes of video, at about a quart and a half, the flex shaft broke and i lost the shaft, prop etc... I would realy apreciate if you could post the Prather cable part number as i am not interested in putting in the original replacement. You can e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:44 PM
HRCH

hey all this is urban at work i ran the boat should have checked the settings wayyyyy! off yeah oh well ran three tanks through it ran good reeeealy rich but ran good was stable but it really slow so i dropped the strut down, i beleive that is the term, to put the prop deeper into the water seemed to give it more speed handled a little twitchy so i think i need to adjust it back up. still new to this so i m learning. best part, funny wise is my buddy sank his shockwave in the lake, funny as heck, he bent the trim fins up a 1/4"!! for more speed it looked like an angry 3 legged squirle running across the water then it flipped over. braaaaaaa....blah. dead took some water on turned rite side up again and then sank with about 1 ft sticking out of the water. took us an hour of jerking around then another friend went swimming finaly. all in all a very entertaining nite. oh yeah about an hours running was at night the lake we found has lites awsome well talk later.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:56 PM
FE_Chris

I just got mine the other night. I have been working on it as it is NOT RTR right out of the box. At first glance I can see that the fuel tank has leaks through the cap so I need a plug for that. For the most part it looks good tho.

I am planning on breaking it in tomorrow. I still have to seal the engine and such, but all in good time.

I did have some questions, Maybe someone can help.

1. Do cats use trim tabs or turn fins? I am concerned about the cornering ability of this boat.

2. If I move the strut up, or down, what does that do and in what direction is it done. (up for more speed? down for more speed?)

Also, a buddy of mine has a very small GPS unit that I am gonna throw into the boat after I get about a gallon of fuel through the engine. Should be fun to see how fast she really is. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:38 PM
wave waker

Paul, the access hole is for batt charging no need to unscrew the lid just pull the wire and charge, also for ventilation when got moisture inside..

since sw36 and cat31 using same engine the only thing i think cat31 advantage is the catamaran hull which is also considered tunnel hull creates less drag due to less hull surface incontact with water and the air trap between the water and the bottom of the hull creates lift, the V hull creates more drag, it uses tab for lift but it also creates drag...

i agree sw36 runs bout 34mph coz i myself clock a club member his stock sw36 with same speed..not to bias but i'm expecting cat31 will run bout 40'sh.

hoping by monday i'll get my engine and break-in..i'll post any info i'll get.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:06 PM
lineman1221

i bought a tc 31 and have had ZERO problems with the boat. a buddy at the lake helped me with the strut and after we lowerd the prop about 1/8" the boat still had a bit of cavitation on take off but nothing major. i have an o.s. 32 on the way so soon ill will be able to compare the two mills and post some results. i dont have any idea in what prop to use so if anyone has any suggestions please post them.
i might even try an os 21 rg m just to see if it would work any better. does anyone know of an exhaust set up for an rg or any expereriance with the rg?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:21 PM
lineman1221

hey sima the prather flex cable part number is PRA8020
Old 04-22-2006, 09:30 PM
lineman1221

hey sima the prather flex cable part number is PRA8020
Old 04-22-2006, 10:02 PM
NJ NETS FAN

Wow this thread is a lot more active than the SW36 thread. Usually theres only 1-2 posts a day in that thread, but in the this one there have been 10 posts just today. Keep me updated on the top speed of the boat, as that is the only reason I would upgrade my SW36 to a thundercat hull. And I hope your right that it'll run around 40 mph.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:12 PM
FE_Chris

Keep is updated on the O.S. 32 engine. I know MANY people have been waiting for someone with a SW36 to pop one in and see how bad it smokes our dynamites. The HP numbers don't really sound much better, but it's an OS, So it should turn some more RPM I would think.

So no one wants to anwser my questions above? [&o]
ORIGINAL: lineman1221

i bought a tc 31 and have had ZERO problems with the boat. a buddy at the lake helped me with the strut and after we lowerd the prop about 1/8" the boat still had a bit of cavitation on take off but nothing major. i have an o.s. 32 on the way so soon ill will be able to compare the two mills and post some results. i dont have any idea in what prop to use so if anyone has any suggestions please post them.
i might even try an os 21 rg m just to see if it would work any better. does anyone know of an exhaust set up for an rg or any expereriance with the rg?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Thundercat 31

Questions Please Help. If I put the prop that the shockwave36 brings on the thuindercat31 will it make it faster and not sacrafice stability ? also the little piece that the pipe has that you connect a line that goes to the gas tank came off . what can i do. in my local hobby shock the owner told me i can drill a hole in the pipe where the little piece youse to be and just put the line in?would this work???new here by the way how's everyone doings love catamarans .
Old 04-22-2006, 11:21 PM
FE_Chris

The SW36 prop is a Prather 235. It is to big for the engine that comes with our boats here. Now it does manage to push the SW to 30MPH or better, but I never thaught I got the revs I should have out of that engine. Now I have not drivin my TC31 yet, but I am thinking it should rev quite a bit higher, and maybe ther engine could be leaned out a bit more with that also, not dure yet.

I am sealing up my engine tonight and such, I have my Spektrum RX installed and trimmed out. The steering servo sucks. Really slow and not much power. Most of the screws seem to be a bit loose on the engine, and everywhere else for that matter, so I am taking my time before I even run it, I learned my lesson from the SW36 being a piece of junk for me. I wish ron olson would buck up and get a proboat. Maybe someone like him could fix it up the way it should be out of the box and show us all how to have super duper thunder cat 31's!!!

ORIGINAL: Thundercat 31

Questions Please Help. If I put the prop that the shockwave36 brings on the thuindercat31 will it make it faster and not sacrafice stability ? also the little piece that the pipe has that you connect a line that goes to the gas tank came off . what can i do. in my local hobby shock the owner told me i can drill a hole in the pipe where the little piece youse to be and just put the line in?would this work???new here by the way how's everyone doings love catamarans .
Old 04-22-2006, 11:52 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Might order one sunday. I was thinking of getting a bal & sharp octura x447 to go on it. Like I said that prop makes my friends shockwave scream. Where can I order one (prop) thats in stock?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Thundercat 31

also the little piece that the pipe has that you connect a line that goes to the gas tank came off . what can i do. in my local hobby shock the owner told me i can drill a hole in the pipe where the little piece youse to be and just put the line in?would this work???new here by the way how's everyone doings love catamarans .
Old 04-23-2006, 12:03 AM
FE_Chris

I don't know. Maybe someone else can help you out on that one. I am going to put threadlock on my little exhaust presure line nipple thingy to keep it in place. Like I've said in the past, it pays to go 100% through your RTR RC anything.

also the little piece that the pipe has that you connect a line that goes to the gas tank came off . what can i do. in my local hobby shock the owner told me i can drill a hole in the pipe where the little piece youse to be and just put the line in?would this work???new here by the way how's everyone doings love catamarans .
Old 04-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Thundercat 31

it's cool . i like the thundercat31 but thanks enyways
Old 04-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Thundercat 31

just to make sure should i put the shockwave 36 prop on the thundercat31?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:37 AM
FE_Chris

Sure. Toss it on and see what it does. You are not gonna hurt it.

just to make sure should i put the shockwave 36 prop on the thundercat31?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:15 AM
lineman1221

thundercat, yes drilling a hole will work but you have to make sure that the hole is SMALL enough to hold the the presure line so that it wont come off but yet still big enough to allow the hole in the fuel tubing to be open to presurize the tank. that is the way i run my 1/10 scale trucks. the other option is to j/b weld it on. if you do this make sure to poke a needle through the nipple after you put it on but befor the j/b weld cures this will ensure that the nipple wont be cloged with j/b weld

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.