Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Carf Yak 3.3M Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carf Yak 3.3M Build

Hi 3D

While I use the 5014 receiver with my DP Edge and several other Glow Models I am not convinced it is good with Gas.

The system is extremely sensitive to noise mostly due to 2048 resolution.

With this much Carbon Fiber in the Fuselage I just feel better sticking with the 1024 / 149 Receivers.

BTW I have started it a total of 4 times now. It's has loads of power but to be honest it's to much for me to hold back when she clears out and want to really rip. I hope to have the Smoke system finished by this weekend and the Electrical system all installed.

Ian
Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 PM
3-D Flyer
My Feedback: (150)

Is your DP Gas or glow powered? Just curious as to if you "personally" have had any interference issues with that reciever yet... Also did you send in the reciever for the "snip" LOL!
I have a 40% Carden 260 being profesionally built and was intending to install that reciever in there.... but i also am paranoid! Does not make much sence for a $2200 radio does it!
Anyway back to the subject at hand.... Did you get back from the Jets yet? Just wondering if you are going to commit to finishing this bird now.... I know you have been busy getting ready for that jet meet. Cant hardly wait to see some vid of your maiden! That thing is going to look awesome in the air!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Flyjets

Here is the hardest part of the build.

The Canopy is a handful to glue on.

The Photo of the Exhaust shows a PVC 1 inch rubber Grommet that fit the Pipe perfectly. On the Full Power run I had some movement in the Cannister muffler. The photo doesn't show it but there is now Carbon Fiber between the rubber.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77067.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	426279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60970.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	426280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12219.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	426281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84182.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	426282  
Old 03-15-2006, 10:17 AM
3-D Flyer

FJ.... you gonna return those clamps after the glue dries??? LOL

Looks Neat, very clean installation.... when is she going up?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Flyjets

Hi Guy's

Like all good stories my buddies told me I better publish the Final Outcome on the Yak's Maiden Flight.

1st time out at the Field after being run numerous times at the house the Yak failed the Range checks. I could not walk more then 26 feet without a Glitch. Problem is the Weave inside the Carbon Fuselage.

Tried running the Antennas straight up in plastic tubes like Bug ears. Better Range now up to 65 feet but still not good enough.

In the Interim since the Yak was built I did some Taxi test and found the Tail Wheel cables weren't tight enough. I never tested them with the weight of the wings on the fuselage cause the wheel to compress and slacken the cables.

More testing between my day job found that Deans antennas actually mounted on the bottom of the Fuselage produced the best range checks.
I was now up to 200 feet at the house.

2nd time at the field now. Winds gusting to 19mph within 30degrees of the runway. Very hard to build the Yak at the field alone with the winds like they were. My buddies showed up and we Ranged check the Yak Motor running 200 feet just like at home.

No more excuses as one of my annoying friends told me. Taxied onto the runway with the winds now at 14mph and slowly advanced the power on the ZDZ B210AK. The Yak was Airborne in just 15 feet. She climbed out steady I turned Downwind and was at 1/2 throttle immediately noticed I wasn't trimming any control surface. Flew a normal pattern at 1/2 throttle and this setup with the 32* 12 is very quiet. Speed was descent for this size Airplane.

Vertical Performance now was played with and it appears the Thrust angle is correct. The Verticals while not fast still showed me were unlimited in performance. Funny thing about the Yak is the Up-line and down Lines appeared to me to be almost the same speed.

Getting Grief from U know who again I decided to put the Yak on her back and Fly the pattern inverted to check the CG location. Usually I prefer a slight forward stick to maintain level. The Yak was totally neutral no forward stick and she flew inverted perfect.

After several more maneuvers I decided to land her my nerves were shot.
The Approach in Gusty winds was rock solid and she floated in like a Kite ' Effortless '

The Yak rolled out a total of 250 feet and I turned her around taxied to the start line and shut her off.
The Yak's Maiden was better then I could have hoped for.

I will Posts the Photos tonight.

One last thing my Buddy that is always on my case to Fly better with Acrobatic planes is Gene Payson the owner of Troy Built Models. He is one of the very best RC or as I call it TOY Model Pilots I have had the privilege of meeting.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86854.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	450881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26426.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	450882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19944.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	450883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29412.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	450884  
Old 04-25-2006, 02:15 PM
3-D Flyer

FJ, sounds like the end to an awesome thread with great results! Glad to see it went well, Enjoy that beast!! LOL.....
Old 04-25-2006, 03:05 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good, you flew the beast! I love mine... FWIW, I have two RX's with full antenna's running down the fuse, one on each side, and I get good range, running JR 649 RX's..

Youll love this bird.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Leardriver
My Feedback: (12)

Hey congrats on the maiden flight! For what it is worth...I have two Futaba 149DP's with the antenna running down the sides of the inside of the fuse and get 200ft every time on the range check. The only plane I have heard complaints about regarding antenna placement is the Super Xtra....the Yak has been relatively trouble free regarding interference.

Anyway...good luck with the plane. It is a real fun plane to fly!

Leardriver
Old 04-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Adrian Lewer

have you thought of running whips like on the jets ?.. might look funny having a set of bunny ears but you might pick up another couple of feet range...
Old 04-26-2006, 02:13 AM
Adrian Lewer

ian... can you please post some information on running two recievers ie how to wire them up... i have not done this before and would like to know how it is done.... might even do it in my turbine models..... pics as well as a detailed wright up would be nice....

why run 2 rx's.. if one fails does the other take over or somthing..... ? all info greatly appreciated...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:04 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ferret, try doing a search in the giant scale forum, this has been gone over a bunch of times and you can get the info now.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Flyjets

Ferret

I am not sure what Turbines ur running but dual receivers aren't needed in them. There is no Vibration and receivers seldom fail.

The simplest way to explain dual receivers is split the Airplane in half and run each half on a separate receiver. My personal preference is to cross Link the Elevators so the Right side controls the left Elevator and Vice a Versa.

Read threw the Thread and as my Buddy John told U do a search.

Ian
Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 AM
Flyjets

Finally Made a Video of the Beast in Action.

I got a few of the Club Guys to shoot it and help setup the Yak.

http://media.putfile.com/Yak-33m-CARF

U gotta like the Aileron Squeal.....................

http://media.putfile.com/Yak-33m-86

Enjoy
Ian
Old 09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
pfact
My Feedback: (92)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a 3.3M C-ARF Yak. Can someone answer a few simple questions that will help me pre-order parts?

1) What size SWB arms did you use on the ailerons and elevators?

2) What size and type wheels did you use?

3) What cans did you use and where did you get the mounts for them?

Did you have any trouble getting your ZDZ210 running?

Does anyone have an assembly manual they can email me?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Phil