Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

two speed or one?

Old 04-25-2006, 05:41 PM
nicacus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two speed or one?

I am new to Nitro RC.. I am coming from the (not so) wonderful world of Xmods.. thats another story..

anyways..

I ordered a syclone.. and after I ordered I noticed it is only a single speed? ( I havent gotten it in the mail yet, not til 5/2) it isnt the "pro model"
can you order a two speed tranny for it? would it be worth it? what parts would you need to do it??

Thanks...
I have been reading in the forums for some time now.. and was convinced to buy one of these
Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: two speed or one?

You can do it, but if your just having a good time playing , it might not be worth it. Should have the part numbers in the owners manual.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Xeller8

After reading all the negative about the 2-speeds being all but impossible to set so they shift correctly I wouldn't waste the money...put the money towards better radio gear instead.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:40 PM
bspate

I have the single-speed Syclone and I love it!! I definitely don't need another gear!! The thing is fast enough already and is tough to control at its top speed...

Don't worry, you'll be happy with the single-speed!!

- bspate -
Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 AM
nicacus

what kind of radio would be best??
do all the gears break easily or is mostly the two speed ones??
Old 04-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Popper252

Unfortunately all the gears are made of the same plastic material so yeah, odds are you'll probably strip a gear eventually. With the 42 gear that comes on the single speed there are some parts from HPi that'll replace it and I think those may be of better quality. But I'm glad you decided to try these guys out. They're really a lot of fun once everything gets working the right way
Old 04-26-2006, 12:21 PM
nicacus

I have a bunch of molding stuff... I wonder if I could cast some gears with a better material..

I was really skeptical about getting a redcat.. but then I came across this forum and decided to give them a try, after reading about them.. I did read alot of bad things but they all seem fairly minor..

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 PM
AJsToyz

Most of the bad things are minor but can be a head ache. If you like to tinker and tweak things , this thing would be right up your alley!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:11 PM
blackdogafd

ORIGINAL: bspate

I have the single-speed Syclone and I love it!! I definitely don't need another gear!! The thing is fast enough already and is tough to control at its top speed...

Don't worry, you'll be happy with the single-speed!!

- bspate -
i also have the single speed syclone and it does just fine!! its fast and its sweet as you know what on the track!!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 AM
nicacus

awesome I am stoked..

so there is no huge benifit of a two speed? I would assume it has more bottom end and more top end..
Old 04-27-2006, 02:22 PM
shamelessbill

Just more top end, 1 st gear is the same as single
Old 04-27-2006, 05:01 PM
jackkpl

One good gear is more than enough. I own an atomic warhead with damaged 1st gear. I loosened 2nd gear lock and car goeas on 2nd gear all the time, see how it goes...

http://mieszkancy.ds.pg.gda.pl/~jimi...ead_jazda4.avi
http://mieszkancy.ds.pg.gda.pl/~jimi...ead_jazda5.avi
Old 04-27-2006, 05:24 PM
nicacus

I couldnt get the second video to work (work computer is a piece) but wow... if that is in second gear.. I am excited to see what it will do with the single speed!
I dont want to wait I want to have it now [&o]
Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 AM
nicacus

I finally got it!
I haven't run it yet but I started the !QUOT!break in!QUOT! process, is it normal for it to spit fuel out of the exhaust during break in? I didn't mess with any of the idle/mixture screws at all (yet)
seems like it is running way to rich if that is happening..
Old 05-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Golddragoner

Mine is spitting out fuel too...make sure that your fuel tank is completely sealed though. mine was leaking and causing air bubbles in the line. Replaced the O-Ring and put some gasket maker on top of the plastic piece. Haven't tried it yet but I think it works better (also that stupid plastic gear lost the metal bar holding it from spinning on the shaft so I made myself a new one with a coat hanger
Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 AM
nicacus

hmm mine tank isnt leaking at all that I have seen... the door comes down like a mouse trap, and seems like it is sealed very nicely..

I have already learned the hard way not to bump the servo off with your hand while you are starting the car... oh man I have never been so scared in my life... good thing the tank was next to empty, and there were no cars... [X(]
Old 05-03-2006, 10:37 AM
jackkpl

ORIGINAL: nicacus

I finally got it!
I haven't run it yet but I started the !QUOT!break in!QUOT! process, is it normal for it to spit fuel out of the exhaust during break in? I didn't mess with any of the idle/mixture screws at all (yet)
seems like it is running way to rich if that is happening..
it doesnt spit fuel, it is rather oil , which is not burned and lubricates the whole engine. Mine burnt more than 1 litre of fuel and is spitting. It is normal for every 2 stroke engine, since oil that lubricates is added to fuel. If your engine did spit fuel it would mean it runs way too rich and it would stall every 5 seconds .
Old 05-03-2006, 10:47 AM
nicacus

ok awesome... that makes sense... I was worried i screwed something up..
I am new to two cycle motors the most contact I have had with them is riding a dirtbike around the block a couple times...
Old 05-03-2006, 10:57 AM
blackdogafd

hey if your wondering about getting a new radio system for it, I bought the Futaba 2PH 2-channel radio system and its a lot better than the factory one. havent had any problems with the radio since the change.

Its one of the best upgrades you can get the syclone, here's a picture after i got it installed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90555.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	455339  
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 AM
TopSpeedToys

ummmmmmmmmmmm I love WHOPPERS!!!![:-]
Old 05-03-2006, 11:08 AM
nicacus

ya I have thought about upgrading the radio already, the remote feels all cheap and brittle.. it seems like it will do fine once I actually take the car out and run it..

but it will probably be the first thing to go when I decide to start changing things...

is it just me or does the pull start get in the way of the throttle linkage? is that going to screw with it at all?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
nitrosteve22

Whoppers rock hard dude! [8D] ,Wendy's chicken nuggets are pretty tasty as well!

Hey blackdog,did your Futaba radio come with the two 3003 standard servos? For steering do they got more grunt? Seems like a good radio. Now that I've figured out its not exactly the engines fault as to why it was running the way it was I might drop a few bones in to it this payday(playcheck! ). Need some new tires maybe,radio/servos,fancy purple engine mounts and a reciever pack w/ charger. Speaking of which,Topspeedtoys guy (mark is it?... Sorry I'm bad with names),is that reciever pack you offer a NiMH or a NiCD. What kinda charge times+what kinda charger would you recommend for it? Does it fit easier in the buggy box as opposed to the bulky 4 cell plastic jobby? Fighting all those wires and trying to get that thing to close is agrivating sometimes!

On a side note,has anyone with the two speed taken the transmission apart to find that little shift mechanism was put in backwards from the factory? (Swear to god it wasnt me cause this was the first and only time I've removed it). Now shifting is easy and predictable,just gotta fiddle with the shift times.

Buggy tires seem to be super hard to find so I was thinking about changing my 44t/39t combo to a 47t/42t and slappin a truck body and some pro line dirt hawgs for a full truggy conversion (gotta keep that rear wing for some rice&bling though). Or does anyone think the 44t/39t would do ok with bigger tires (I guess the DH's are around 4" tall or so).
Old 05-03-2006, 12:06 PM
TopSpeedToys

nitrosteve22,

I'll have to get back to you on your questions as I'm not in my office right now.
Currently inquiring with China on the chargers.

Mark
Old 05-03-2006, 09:48 PM
TopSpeedToys

nitrosteve22,

Just getting back to you on your question about the hump pack battery pack.

It's Ni-Mh

Mark

Old 05-04-2006, 12:28 AM
blackdogafd

hey nitrosteve, yes the futaba radio i bought came with the two s3003 servos and receiver as well plus a new batt holder, and a bunch of different servo arms for different setups.

and about the steering, it turns on a dime and has very quick response out of it. just an awesome radio!!!!!!

and it was only 47.99 through hobbyhut's ebay store

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.