Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Clutch bell warped teeth

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:51 PM
TopSpeedToys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch bell warped teeth

Guys, I have a customer with a Volcano who had some trouble starting the truck and found the clutch spring went bad causing the clutch to be engaged no matter what RPM on the motor. What I can't figure out is what happened to the clutch bell teeth.

Check it out, let me know what you'all think.

Thanks,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91692.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	450989  
Old 04-25-2006, 02:54 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clutch bell warped teeth

i had to file mine to make it look decent before i put new gears in my volcano and tornado xp. I think it poor grade aluminum and casting.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:56 PM
TopSpeedToys

ehroof,

You're saying yours was like this from the begining and you filed it straight?

I'll double check but the ones we have in stock are straight.

Mark

Old 04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
ehroof

i actually didnt look close at them when i first got the truck, after my 2nd pair on the tornado and then right after the volcano and reading all the strip gear posts i took and good look an mine pretty much looked like those. I filed them and put the gears back in, i have 2 tanks in the volcano and 1 in the tornado, i stopped using them and started using the other ones i have plus i started with the boats now too. I am waiting for the owner of redcat to get back to me after he returns from china, he said he will have some information for me.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:33 PM
cartronicshn

i had a customer with the same problem on an xl buggy, he did confess after me asking him twice about following the break in procedure, that he had ran 3 fuel tanks with the car against the wall, so that it didn't run away, but didn't do it at idle, probably at 1/4- 1/2 throttle and completely grinded the tranny gear and warped the clutchbell, at least he came clean and told me it was his fault, maybe your customers problem?

i did help him, fixing him up with a 2 speed tranny, hasn't had any more problems, i did give him step by step instructions as to how to break in the motor. This time around he told me that he was new at the hobby.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:36 PM
TopSpeedToys

Not sure but this was actually an XL, my mistake.

I've tooched these things when the clutch spring breaks and you don't realize it.

Hot baby!!!!![X(]

Old 04-25-2006, 05:28 PM
chopper22980

I took mine to my lhs.He could not find anything that would match up.They all were not deep enough.Not saying their is not one out there that will match up.He just couldnt find one.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
ehroof

me too, we tried to match it up and couldnt find anything either. I also have a megatech i cant find a bell for either, 2 speed
Old 04-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Xeller8

ORIGINAL: cartronicshn

i had a customer with the same problem on an xl buggy, he did confess after me asking him twice about following the break in procedure, that he had ran 3 fuel tanks with the car against the wall, so that it didn't run away, but didn't do it at idle, probably at 1/4- 1/2 throttle and completely grinded the tranny gear and warped the clutchbell, at least he came clean and told me it was his fault, maybe your customers problem?
W-T-F!!!!!?????

Was the guys name Corky by any chance??...was he wearing a helmet and trying to lick the glass on your windows too??
Old 04-25-2006, 08:28 PM
chopper22980

LMFAO....TOO FUNNY....POOR CORKY,NO MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY YOU PUT IN HIS JAR.
THERE IS JUST NO HELP FOR HIM....
Old 04-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Every one that i have replaced has been like that over time...
Old 04-25-2006, 09:22 PM
AJsToyz

I think it is a bad casting , with to soft of alloy for the job. The teeth on mine are worn the same way and it is either out of round or balance. I do think part of the problem is the way they have the bearings in there , if they were spaced out a little the clutch bell would have better support.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:17 AM
shamelessbill

Chopper,
For the single speed an HPI will match right up. Up put a 19 tooth in mine with no problems.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:54 AM
chopper22980

Hey Bill....thanks for the info.I wonder why the guy at my lhs didnt check that.Maybe he didnt have any HPI ones in stock.Who knows.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:12 AM
cartronicshn

He was a kid alright, he said he DID have experience when he came in to buy the car, i DID offer help the first time, he said he already new how to do the break in procedure. This happens a lot with people who are new in the hobby, they don't think they need any help because it's just a toy, then they break something and they come in complaining, i do take care of my customers, granted we are not tryinng to say these cars have the highest quality parts in them, i myself have broken some parts with normal usage and others that broke because of poor quality, clutch springs and such, but stripped gears have to be bad alignment because if not ALL cars that were sold WOULD have the exact same problem a that is not the case, at least from all the cars i imported and sold down here.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:36 PM
shamelessbill

Chopper,
Most LHS guys dont want to risk being wrong so they wont just "eyeball" a part. No PN and they say goodbye. I usually just start making them pull items off the shelf and look for myself.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:47 PM
chopper22980

Thats what the guy did at my lhs.He took what I had and compared it to all that he had.
So do you have a part number for the one you put on?Or from what HPI it would have fit?