Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

QQ 102" Yak - Discussion and Build thread

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

QQ 102" Yak - Discussion and Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Bobby Folsom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: QQ 102" Yak - Discussion and Build thread

So much for a very light engine if you have to make up the difference with "dead" weight!!! Sorta defeats the purpose of the light engine.

Bobbh
Old 04-29-2006, 07:20 PM
fasterthanlife
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: IanB

LOOK AT THAT LAST PIC....................YOU HAVE WHAT I AM ASSUMING TO BE THE 2 MAIN RX BATTS CABLES ALMOST TOUCHING THE HT SPARK PLUG CABLE AND THE IGNITION SENSOR PICK UP

HOW MUCH RF INDUCED BY THE IGNITION SPARK IS GOING BACK INTO YOUR RECEIVER......................IT DOESNT MATTER A DAMN ABOUT THE COF G IF THE THING IS GOING TO LAST 5 MINS

SORRY BUDDY IM NOT TRYING TO BE MEAN IM TRYING TO STOP YOU FLYING THIS THING LIKE THAT!!

Oh yea... and that would be his IGNITION battery.......

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74651.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	452695  
Old 04-29-2006, 09:15 PM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

I usually wrap my reciever in aluminum foil and solder it directly to the ignition wire. Then I run the antenna around the cooling fins.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:49 PM
IanB
My Feedback: (1)

OH YEAH HEY FASTERTHANLIFE

MAYBE........oops sorry maybe..........is that better for you?

Maybe you'd like to tell me which one of the 3 batteries is the one you think is the ignition battery???

Is it one of the TWO on the right or the ONE on the left.?????

OR are they ALL ignition batteries?

Maybe thats the new fad Im way behind in all this stuff!!

Looks awfully like there are two packs on the right side and one on the left to me.
Just trying to save the guy losing his pride and joy what are YOU oops sorry you doing???????

Well??

PS Applebutter is not as brown

Old 04-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Just for those newbies that might read this... he was JOKING.

ORIGINAL: budgetdude

I usually wrap my reciever in aluminum foil and solder it directly to the ignition wire. Then I run the antenna around the cooling fins.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:33 AM
fasterthanlife

LMAO^^^

I could imagine some guy w/ his new gasser... wired up like that... ^^^

Old 05-01-2006, 02:03 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: IanB

LOOK AT THAT LAST PIC....................YOU HAVE WHAT I AM ASSUMING TO BE THE 2 MAIN RX BATTS CABLES ALMOST TOUCHING THE HT SPARK PLUG CABLE AND THE IGNITION SENSOR PICK UP

HOW MUCH RF INDUCED BY THE IGNITION SPARK IS GOING BACK INTO YOUR RECEIVER......................IT DOESNT MATTER A DAMN ABOUT THE COF G IF THE THING IS GOING TO LAST 5 MINS

SORRY BUDDY IM NOT TRYING TO BE MEAN IM TRYING TO STOP YOU FLYING THIS THING LIKE THAT!!
Actually, that battery you are looking at up top is the ignition battery, and any and all of those wires up top are part of the ignition system and are nowhere near any of my radio components.
My Rx batteries are hanging off the side and the wires are a good 5" away from any ignition system component. There is nothing wrong with my setup and I have had 3 flights with it setup like this with ABSOLUTELY ZERO glitches and I got well over 100 feet on the range check.
On my EF Yak, I had some 50-75 flights with the battery right on top of the engine (not literally strapped to it, but close enough) and crossing over some of the Smart-fly ignition cutoff wiring and never had a single glitch. Heck, the braided shielding even got damaged and was exposed for probably 6-7 flights and I still had ZERO troubles. Thanks for your concern, but I'm not...
Old 05-01-2006, 02:05 AM
budgetdude

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Just for those newbies that might read this... he was JOKING.

ORIGINAL: budgetdude

Yes I was kidding! The big point here is that its always better to query someone before you you start making assumptions and then telling them whats what. I know the guy personally and that is his ignition battery. He flies at 6000'+ and has to shave off every ounce to get sea level 75cc performance out of a 110.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:07 AM
budgetdude

Dude thats funny we must have been typing at the same time.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:07 AM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

So much for a very light engine if you have to make up the difference with "dead" weight!!! Sorta defeats the purpose of the light engine.

Bobbh
If I added 3 ounces in wood railing, I'd be surprized, and that's the only "dead" weight I see there. No matter how you look at it, my plane could have been no lighter than 27 pounds if I strapped a DA to it, so I am still glad I got the BME.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:11 AM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

I see...

Well guys, Reza has been insistant that I change my opinion of QQ aircraft!!! He will stop at nothing!!! He went above and beyond anything I expected to take care of me. Disregard my statement about never buying from QQ aircraft again...thanks Reza!

So let me get this straight.....Now that they kissed your BUTT. you have a whole different outlook on this plane.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:39 PM
bodywerks

Not so much the plane, but QQ"s company.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:12 PM
DENNIS C

Not so much the plane, but QQ"s company.

I thought the problem was with the plane NOT the company. What made you change your opinion ?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:15 PM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Stiring the ol pot again I see....
Old 05-01-2006, 04:18 PM
gbrod

Last Saturday at Top Gun!
What a treat, the man himself (Quique) during the noon show with his Turbo-Prop 102" plane was unbelievable.
The plane is set up stock (I know, I have one) except for the turbo-prop engine.
Happy flying
George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24027.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	453853  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:32 PM
DENNIS C

ORIGINAL: John Murdoch

Stiring the ol pot again I see....
No..just trying to get a straight answer that's all
Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 PM
bodywerks

I was not happy, at all, about the poor beveling on the stabs and the fact that the wings' incidence was off by 3 degrees. I got a new set of stabs and a new set of wings as a result.
Sure, there are other minor problems with this plane, but like they said, once you fly this plane you tend to forget a lot of it. So far, this is the best flying GS plane I have ever owned or flown - heck, it is the best flying plane I have ever flown, period. I am more confident in this plane so far than I am with even foamies and park flyers!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

It just doesn't get any plainer than that... tickled you got to the end and were able to experience that...

I was not happy, at all, about the poor beveling on the stabs and the fact that the wings' incidence was off by 3 degrees. I got a new set of stabs and a new set of wings as a result.
Sure, there are other minor problems with this plane, but like they said, once you fly this plane you tend to forget a lot of it. So far, this is the best flying GS plane I have ever owned or flown - heck, it is the best flying plane I have ever flown, period. I am more confident in this plane so far than I am with even foamies and park flyers!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
DENNIS C

That's great..that's really great customer service, i wish some other's would do the same.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:13 PM
underdw

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought he was flying for DA now!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:23 PM
ronfurious

Hi Guys,

I need help with my QQ 102, DA100 / MTW system / header / canister installation.

I ordered the exhaust system from Desert Aircraft. It came with "forward" exhaust canisters and I am trying to install this system as shown in picture AM35. However the rear part of the header is too far back. It almost enters the fuse tunnel area, overlapping the canister inlet by about three inches.

The folks at DA say. Don't cut the header. It should be about 10.5 inches.

What should I do?

1) Cut open the bottom of the fuse, between the stringers, forward of the landing gear, to let the canister exhaust exit.

2) Exchange these forward exhausting canisters for rear exhausting canisters.

3) Sell the plane. Just kidding QQ!

Hurry, I need an answer soon. I can't wait to get this plane in the air!

Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 09:04 PM
underdw

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I almost used this system. I was going to knock out a couple of the stringers ahead of the landing gear plate. I think I would have replaced them with some new ones, offset to the side to maintain the strength. Make sure you have air flow over them.
(I changed my mind and went with a pair of tuned pipes - much more modifications required, but sweet in the air!)
Old 05-02-2006, 10:38 PM
xtra 330
My Feedback: (19)

yes, do knock out I believe 4 stringers in front of the landing gear area. I ran the exact set up, and that is what must be done, those stringers are cosmetic anyway...gives the round shape the plane needs.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:31 AM
Kato

Hi,

Those of you who have flown the 102' YAK;

What is the correct setup for aileron travel for normal flight ? Manual says 3-3/8 each way for normal flight. This seems to be alot, espescially with respect to the small difference to high rate which is set to 3-13/16.

3-3/8 total travel (up+down) looks more like it to me. I am about to do test flight this weekend.

What do you use ?

best regards
Kato
Old 05-04-2006, 10:14 AM
bdunsire

It really depends on what you expect Kato (just to save others the time of saying that ) - but I'm like you, I thought that sounded like a lot - and in fact my first roll to inverted was a 540 degree roll (!)..

I was fine tuning my Yak's aileron's yesterday - in my case I want a roll rate I am used to, and I wanted fine control for the roller in Advanced IMAC this year - so my ailerons, in IMAC flight mode, are 2 and 3/16th up and down - with about 40% expo (JR) - I have about 70 (yikes) flights on my Yak now, and I have been playing with the aileron travel for a lot of these - finally I have settled on this.

Now - rudder is another challenge for me too - 70 flights and I'm still working on it as wel..

Cheers,
Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.