Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Almost Absolutely Perfect!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:26 AM
redman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost Absolutely Perfect!

Hey everybody,what's up.Last night I had my volcano
out and was fine tuning the carb for the weather change
and It happened.I must have had every jet In that carb
tuned perfect,because this truck ran like it's never ran
before.It has always been a very fast truck,but last night
it was a super truck,this truck was so fast that I couldn't
help myself from smiling,it ROCKED off the line,through
the mid range and was very impressive on the top end.
I can't beleive the speed of a perfect tuned vehicle,if your
truck is fast,but not a bullet,then you are not 100% in tune!
Now here's the funny or not so funny part of this story.I'm
flying around and I get a glitch from my remote,I don't worry
I just keep on rippin.I'm mad about a tree that has been cut
down right where I like to do my best donuts on soft dirt,so I'm
running around that area,I hit the gas the truck flies away and
I notice I can't stop it,no throttle control.The same tree I was mad
about saved my truck from its ultimate death.The truck ran into
the tree branchs at wide open speed and sat there and dug ruts
into the gound 3 inches deep,amazingly no DAMAGE.I take it inside
and notice that inside my control box my throttle servo connection
has come out,that's why I had no throttle control,wild huh.If that
tree had not been there my volcano is toast.I wanted to share this
story so you guy's could check on things like this,so it doesn't ruin
your truck.These trucks are amazing when their running right,so
have fun and keep on ROCKIN THE REDCAT'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:32 AM
cartronicshn

Default RE: Almost Absolutely Perfect!

awesome story man, i agree 100% if you have your car tuned right and everything checked before running it, this cars are a blast to drive, specially against people who think only $500 cars are the fastest or dont break ever.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:11 AM
DiTi

same here, I tuned my volcano and it is a beast! not that I have seen many others :P but it really IS impresive!
however, I cannot manage to keep it in idle for a long time... I think it has to do with the new glow plug I installed. it is medium to cold and from what I have read in an other thread, it really helps if the glow plug is hot... Do you guys agree? or is there something else that I can do?
thx
Old 04-28-2006, 10:32 AM
bspate

Good story man!!

This has inspired me to fine tune my car even though it runs good enough at the moment. It's fast as it is now, but I may as well see its full potential!!

- bspate -
Old 04-28-2006, 10:38 AM
bspate

ORIGINAL: DiTi
....I think it has to do with the new glow plug I installed. it is medium to cold and from what I have read in an other thread, it really helps if the glow plug is hot... Do you guys agree? or is there something else that I can do?
thx
I have read that our specific cars need more of a hot plug than a cold plug. I bet if you go with a hotter plug then you wont have those issues..... [&:]

- bspate -
Old 04-28-2006, 10:45 AM
jackkpl

ORIGINAL: DiTi

same here, I tuned my volcano and it is a beast! not that I have seen many others :P but it really IS impresive!
however, I cannot manage to keep it in idle for a long time... I think it has to do with the new glow plug I installed. it is medium to cold and from what I have read in an other thread, it really helps if the glow plug is hot... Do you guys agree? or is there something else that I can do?
thx
If it stalls at idle and occasionally stalls at mid rpm with lots of smoke from exhaust then it is wrong plug. I was chasing to tune my engine for 4 days with no result,after getting OS A3 it really started to work perfect. Now it doesnt even stall after serious crash and landing with wheels facing the sky . Go with a hot plug and see it will make ur day
Old 04-28-2006, 10:54 AM
DiTi

thanx guys,
I think it was your post Jack that I read and I ordered the same plugs...
.....meanwhile though I striped the main gear the first one that strips after a little more than half a gallon...
I ordered those too just now...
chubs put me back in the game bro!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:01 AM
jackkpl

Do you have holes in chassis that u see gears / flywheel ? If so try to cover them (i cut some thin plastic and made 4 holes so it is held by tranny screws). Now i occasionally have to clear gears from small rocks (occasionally means once every burned fuel tank ). BUt i drive it a lot on sand and gravel. Also if u hear some knocking that wasnt there a while ago stop the car and look at all teeth in spur and clutch bell , small sh.. gets there and doesnt allow gears to "dig" into each other properly and thats why they stip
http://mieszkancy.ds.pg.gda.pl/~jimi...na_zebatka.jpg <- an example
Old 04-28-2006, 05:14 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nitro engines are not made to idle long, dont tune to idle, tune to performance. I use 20% fuel with a cold plug and mine runs fine. There is a saying that there is no race or first place for how long your nitro idles.

Second, if you cover the gears on the bottom any rock you have in the chassis will be caught there and not be able to escape and grind up your gears, thats why ALL nitro cars have a cut out on the chassis below the gears, its meant to throw the debris out.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:12 PM
DiTi

hey ehroof, I was hoping you would jump into this conversation... my engine wont idle for longer than 30 seconts without the ignitor on and sometimes it will stall if I stop the car. it's random, an other time it stalled when I tried to go full throtle. but all this is random, it doesn't always happen... I belive the car is well tuned in so I kinda blamed the whole thing to something else... that is why I am asking. could it be something in the fuel line? in the filter? or do you think I need to reset the tuning and start over? I have some time to think and do my homework untill the dif. gear comes in...
Old 04-28-2006, 08:12 PM
ehroof

how is the compression?? sounds like your running too lean, richen high and low end an 1/8th. Nitro engines dont idle for too long since they will load up on fuel and stall(flood). Do you need to raise your idle a little bit? Maybe your low end needle is set wrong. it should be set so that when you pinch the fuel line it should idle for a couple of seconds then raise a little and die. if it runs for a while then dies out your low end is rich, if idle raises quickly and dies your low end is too lean. hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:57 PM
DiTi

from what you are saying I am probably running rich on the LSN cause it runs more that 2secs befor it starts to rise and then stall... I'll try that tomorrow.
thanx man you are realy helpful
it's a bummer that I have to whait for the gear and its a bigger bummer that it stripped on a friday [:@]
p.s., I have already ordered a hot plug, I will see how that works too. what is the theory behind glow plugs? do they stay lit through the whole function of the engine? I thought they are lit only when you apply the ignitor and the fuel exploded due to high preasure.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
ehroof

they only light when the ignitor is on them, the heat range of the plug has the do with the length of the plug, longer plug is hotter shorter is cooler. Hot plug will make engine run hotter. Always good to try to use different plugs. i like cooler plugs, and richer engines unless i am racing someone.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:55 AM
shamelessbill

Don't the long plugs mess with your radio receiver?

[X(]
Old 05-01-2006, 09:34 AM
jackkpl

ORIGINAL: ehroof

nitro engines are not made to idle long, dont tune to idle, tune to performance. I use 20% fuel with a cold plug and mine runs fine. There is a saying that there is no race or first place for how long your nitro idles.

Second, if you cover the gears on the bottom any rock you have in the chassis will be caught there and not be able to escape and grind up your gears, thats why ALL nitro cars have a cut out on the chassis below the gears, its meant to throw the debris out.
I agree, that there must be some escape for debris, but if u are running your car on small rocks and gears are 2cm above ground it will suck all debris in. I stripped gear after running 2-3 minutes on sandy football pitch , not i can run od sand with no danger of debris getting throug these holes into gears. These buggies are not made to run on rough terrain,rather really thin sand and some mud/grass. Monster trucks have all gears covered and there is no chance for any rocks to get into gears and grinding them
Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 AM
J5IVE

This covering the gear hole has peeked my interest (especially since I just stripped the gear)...what are other peoples thoughts on this...to me it makes sense...it would probably make sense to fashion some sort of cover in teh front that would stop pebbles/gravel/whatever from making it way to the gear area...thoughts, experience???
Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
DiTi

chubs that was fast man!!! thanx a bunch
I only wish I was more careful when orderning [&:]
I ordered the wrong parts
how many mistakes needs one to do until one learns...
in Greece they say: who has no brains to think, has legs to walk....[&o]
Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

No problem. That was the wife. She ran it while I was away. She did ok... I would use duck tape if anything. This way the small stuff that tries to get out will stick to it and not get tossed around in the gears. Then everyday rip it off and put new piece on.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:13 PM
nitrosteve22

What a day! Got about 1/2 a quart of this Traxxas %20 through earlier and I think I like it better than the Trinity Horsepower %20. The little Vx.18 seems to run cooler with the same amount of power and takes to tune easier. So heres my question for other Tornado XP owners who have a temp measuring device (I use a venom smart temp failsafe). What is your average "putting" temps and what is your average hard run temps? Mine seems to teder between 240-260F (and its high 70's/low 80's today,a nice warm day) just cruisin around and still shoots up to 270-290F if I get alot of high speed passes in (I run in a paved parking lot surrounded by dirt&gravel areas). She's got some gusto,takes off quick and raps out with force and spits plenty of blue smoke on the throttle while only spitting a slight amount of unburnt goo while idling. I pinch the fuel line about 2" from the carb and it takes 5-6 seconds to die and the RPM's only increase a minor amount before it dies so In my mind,I think I have a pretty decent tune on it... Wouldnt you say? It still runs a bit hotter (no way your keeping this thing under 250F unless its idling which sits right at 218-220F in the sun with the body on). Maybe it just likes to run a bit hotter I guess... Its fast! Hella fast! And when you run it out of go juice and let it cool down to... Oh say 140-150F it'll fire right back up with the glow ignitor on for only 5-6 seconds and wont stall out.

Does it sound like its tuned 'ok'? Should I try running a cooler plug (currently running Duratrax Carbon speed) to help lower temps? Any idea's or suggestions? This thing is &100 leak proof to,the engines been sealed,lines and filter replaced&checked,gas tank sealed and exhaust de-baffled+gasketed and no leaks in/on or around the manifold.... Sound ok? Advice?....

These things are just way to much fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74474.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	456031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82703.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	456032  
Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 PM
chubbysuncle

ORIGINAL: chubbysdad

No problem. That was the wife. She ran it while I was away. She did ok... I would use duck tape if anything. This way the small stuff that tries to get out will stick to it and not get tossed around in the gears. Then everyday rip it off and put new piece on.
The Duct tape was my idea. When I get the buggy fixed up I'm gonna do some tests. Real sticky tape from the bottom to cover the gear holes, run the pee out of it and see what gets stuck to the inside of the tape. You all can thank Chubbysdad for hooking his nephews up with a Redcat and getting me hooked!!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Why dont you post a pic of your redneck fix for the a-arm. They might get a kick out of it
Old 05-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Popper252

Haha wow the whole family is getting in on the action.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:30 PM
ehroof

next there will be a chubbysmom and cubbysaunt