Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Field Equipment

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Field Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Marcham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field Equipment

Could you guys take a look at my wish List and tell me anything i forgot or something i should get insted of.
Thanks

For searching:

My State: New York

My Country: United States

For Last name put: Marcham89

Here's the link:

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTW0200p[/link]

P.S.- Also when they say 9v Battery do they mean a regular everyday 9v Battery?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Missileman

Default RE: Field Equipment

I don't see a list but I can tell you what I bring.
Field box with power panel and gel cell battery, to power:
Electric starter
fuel pump
glow driver (I also bring a clip on self contained driver)
I also bring:
plenty of rubber bands
small tool box with:
allen wrenches
screw drivers
needle nose pliers
hemostats
adjustable wrench
glow plug wrench
tape (electrical, masking and clear packing tape)
Also bring:
couple of extra glow plugs
extra prop or two
garbage bag
lanyard (piece of rope about 5' long with a small loop in each end ) to tie off my airplane when starting my engine.
Copy of my AMA card, laminated and attached to a clothes pin, to put on the frequency board at the field.
Oh and of course glow fuel.
Can't think of anything else off hand, perhaps others can add to the list.
Edit: I also bring a small box of baby wipes to wipe oil off my airplane (some people bring a roll of paper towels and a bottle of Windex)
Old 05-03-2006, 04:14 PM
nickj

Good list. IMO, the field charger is a nice-to-have, but not essential. OTOH, I prefer a self-contained glo-plug driver rather than the plug-in kind.

Fill your field box from Missleman's list.

Just noticed (from Missleman's list) -- I didn't see a battery on your wish list. You need one. Drop the field charger and get a good 12V gel cell.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:05 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I have a trailer, so I tend to bring the entire shop so to speak, but I can fly with much less.

On my "Must Have" list I'd include test equipment, starting equipment, common spare parts, and basic tools. This will vary from plane to plane.

Test Equipment - Most important, do not leave out, a RX battery checker. This is a must have item in my book.

Starting equipment - Glow driver, starter, battery, some way to pump fuel.

Common spare parts - common stuff on your plane that can be easily field repaired. Props, plugs, any screws, maybe a spare clevis and clevis keepers, maybe a roll of clear packing tape to fix minor covering issues, a small bottle of CA and accelerator, etc. Nothing sucks more than finding out at the filed you can't fly because your plane needs a 2 cent item replaced, like a screw, or you have a small tear in covering, ect.

Basic tools - will depend upon plane. Should include a tool for every hardware item on the plane, i.e. any wrench, ball driver, screw driver you might need to service all hardware.

From there, the sky's the limit, chargers, tach, heat gun, power inverter, more glues, full tool set, full parts complement, etc.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
lalaland

Don't forget your camera in case of a mishap for the "Crash pictures and Discussion" thread.

We don't wanna miss out on anything.

Good luck at the flying field.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:44 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've run the gamut of first taking everything in the world I needed to now only taking what I need to fly and a few tools for minor repairs. To be totally honest you can get by with a fuel, a way to get the fuel into the plane, a stick for starting the motor, and a battery to heat up the glow plug. If you have those basics you can fly. I've seen beginners go crazy and drop a couple hundred bucks buying "field equipment stuff", and IMHO about 75% they really don't need. For a starting stick you can hack of a bit of a broom handle and wrap electrical tape around it. This is what I did 10 years ago and I still use it every day, when the tape starts getting cut up I just wrap some more around it. Spend the money and buy a rechargeable glow starter, should be about $12 or so. As for refueling. You can get by with your basic fuel bulb, but you can buy a simple hand crank fuel pump. IMHO buy the hand crank pump. They are cheaper because you don't need a battery, and in my experience they last longer (electrics only seem to last about one season, but my hand crank is still running good after 4 years). We have a guy at our field that uses the bulb off of a blood pressure cuff to fuel his plane. He hooks his plane to his fuel can and then hooks the bulb to that. He pumps up the bulb to put positive pressure inside of the fuel can and that does the rest, the pressure forces the fuel into the plane. He says that the $8 bulb has lasted him 12 years now.

As for tools that you need at the field. Don't worry about too much right now. Start going to the field and see what you need. After a while you'll figure out what you need and then you can buy it. Don't worry about being left out without a tool, borrow at the field if you need something. Most seasoned flyers expect the new guys to need to borrow things.... trust me, we don't mind!!!

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-04-2006, 06:16 AM
B.L.E.

I have always resisted the hobby industry's attempt to make me believe that I need every gadget in the hobby shop, thus my field box consists of fuel and a manual pump to fuel the plane and a couple of glow plug lighters and a small wooden dowel to start the engine with. Also a few screw drivers, glow plug wrenches, extra glow plugs, allen wrenches, spare props, and a bunch of junk that just accumulated over the years. AMA stickers dating back to 1991 or so help give my field box charactor.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Marcham

Thank you. I probly wont get the plane till around winter. By the way can the RC Planes fly in winter?
P.S.- Im getting a Tower Trainer
Old 05-04-2006, 05:19 PM
carrellh

People put snow skis on some planes for winter flying. You'll need to talk to the flyers in your area about winter flying. I'm sure it varies from place to place. We don't get much winter here so if it's dry and not too windy we can easily fly year round.

That said, it seems like we had gale force winds every weekend for several months.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:29 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Forget the power panel and plug-in glow starter. Power panels and gel-cells are some of the snake oil of RC. Get a battery glow starter. Put you money into a good starter. The Sullivan Dynatron with the Sullivan battery pack and a bunch of 3000 mha NiCads will start anything up to 4.8 cu twin gasser. You will never regret it.

Rich

-------------------------------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 PM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

Tools and field equipment are only secondary in importance. The first priority should be lunch.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:43 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Misselman :: You forgot your plane and radio !!!! Enjoy !!! RED
Old 05-05-2006, 02:59 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: red head

Misselman :: You forgot your plane and radio !!!! Enjoy !!! RED
Plane??? Plane!!!!! You mean I have to have a plane to be in here????

Ken
Old 05-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Missileman

LOL, I actually did forget my radio the first time I went for a lesson (I guess I learned a lesson [:-] )
My instructor told me not to feel bad, he forgot his wing once