Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:22 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

i cant wait to get this baby and test it.. I am ordering it tomorrow, i just found it on Cliffs (Atlanta Hobby) site..
http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6105
Old 04-27-2006, 12:30 PM
T Erickson

Default RE: FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Drumbum,
I think I'll sit back a while on this one, and let others find out if Fliton has resolved the design issues that plagued the freesyle 330 build. Admittedly, if it flies anything like the mini edge on a larger scale, it will probably be worth the hassle. I guess I've been spoiled by Extremeflight, but I feel that Fliton charges enough for their arfs to put out a more user friendly product. $0.02 T.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:16 PM
pezandbuster

I would love to have it. What engine are you putting on the edge? I am flying the extra and love the quality. Only complaint was with the hatch, but no complaints about how it flies! Keep us posted when you get it in.

bh
Old 04-27-2006, 01:58 PM
pbunn

The Fliton 330 was the worst airplane build I have ever done. It flies great but I'll never build another Fliton ARF.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:44 PM
drumbum

I never noticed any design issues on the 330,, Im either going Electric or with the YS 63. its a tad smaller than the 330 and a friend has that with a saito 82.. it weighs 5 lb 5 oz so if i can keep it around there with the 63 i dont think i can go wrong.. my flip 3D weighs the same with the 63 and hovers fine.. cliff said he will have it in a few days..
Old 04-28-2006, 06:46 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

For those of you who are scared to think a little on building an arf, then dont. Thats more for us. Personally I think there are a lot of design flaws in todays most popular arfs. I usually end up having to move servo holes, find a new way to attatch the canopy, cut out a place for the fuel tank, etc etc. With the fliton arfs you get to make those decisions and thats what I like about it. On the 330 the hatch in front of the canopy is a no brainer, I got to stick the servos in the tail WHERE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE (most of todays arfs dont have the servo location in the right place for perfect geometry). My only real beef was the area under the wing tube. I had to do a little cutting to get a tank under there. BUT I had to do some cutting to get it to fit under all of my glow arfs YES even the mighty EF Yak. I finally got a new wing tube for my 330 and I cant wait to fly it this weekend. (Ran out of nitro in a hover, it nosed in and all it did was crack the wing tube and cowling.)
Old 04-28-2006, 08:28 AM
pezandbuster

I have a saito 100 on the 330. It's a little overkill. I bet the 82 would be a great match for the edge.

bh
Old 04-28-2006, 08:33 AM
pbunn

I probably have built more kits and ARFs than most people and scared hasn't got anything to do with it. I built my first kit in 1969.

When the tank doesn't fit in the opening, half the hardware doesn't work, the structure falls apart from poor factory gluing, the landing gear is junk, The hatch and cowl mounting in crap, and on and on - the kit is a POS.

This is the third POS from Fliton that I have assembled and the last. It isn't my opinion - the Fliton stuff has built it's own lousy reputation.

I just finished a QQ YAK 50CC and a Hangar 9 Showtime in the last month. Both were a dream to build compared to that junk Fliton 330.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:50 AM
drumbum

HMM tell us how you feel... this will be my forth fliton plane. I like em..
Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 AM
pezandbuster

I am with you drumbum. I like em too.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 AM
pbunn

Maybe I got a bad one (or three) but I was warned by several pretty competive flyers and I didn't listen to them and I got exactly what they warned me about.

The plane flies great, but it is build like it was made for electric only.

I'll never buy another one.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:03 PM
RenoSportFlyer
My Feedback: (2)

Just ordered my Fliton Edge from Chief Aircraft. I am flying my second Fliton Mini Extra 330 and I totally LOVE the way that plane flys. It will do anything I can throw at it. Amazing quality ARF. The build on that plane was admittedly a bear (...and I used the manual for scrap paper!), but I would order another one in an instant if I put it in. It flys SO nice.

Honestly, Fliton should put more time into Beta testing thier models, and writing better instructions. BUT I could not care less about how much effort it takes to get it in the air---if it flys this well when I'm done. I mean, who really wants a plane (like the eflight MiniFuntana for instance) that is durable, snaps together easily, has a really NICE manual, but flys like a brick?

I am hoping my Saito91s with some 30% Heli fuel will pull this bigger Edge around and fly as well as the little Extra does.

Steve
Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 PM
drumbum

HMMMM according to what i read it is a few inches smaller than the extra..
Old 04-28-2006, 11:58 PM
RenoSportFlyer

I have the Fliton MINI Extra.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:40 AM
T Erickson

RSF,
If the Edge comes in lighter than the Extra you will be very happy with a Saito 91. I have one one the extra, and while not ballistic, it's enough to get out of trouble. T.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:40 PM
RenoSportFlyer

ORIGINAL: T Erickson

RSF,
If the Edge comes in lighter than the Extra you will be very happy with a Saito 91. I have one one the extra, and while not ballistic, it's enough to get out of trouble. T.
Excellent. Thanks! Really hope when it gets here that the motor mount is beefy enough for the glow engine. I will post pics as soon as I get a hold of the plane. Chief Aircraft is awesome. I ordered it yesterday and I got a UPS shipping out confirmation about 3hrs later...[8D]
Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 AM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

I'm really anxious to hear more about this plane. Currently I have a Goldberg Matrix and I'm running a YS63 on it. It flies great pattern, but is a little to snap-prone on the high alpha 3D stuff. This Edge looks like a perfect match for my YS. I was excited about getting one until I read the above negative posts about the build process. Is it really that bad?

Mike
Old 05-01-2006, 11:46 AM
BasinBum

The quality on my 330 is outstanding. It flies better than anything is it's size (I don't count profiles) and has held up well. I agree that it was designed to be electric and needed some thinking to make it glow but who cares with the way it flies.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Vette2fast

any thoughts on a power plant for this plane?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 PM
pezandbuster

anybody got one in yet??
Old 05-02-2006, 08:41 PM
drumbum

not yet
Old 05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
RenoSportFlyer

Mine arrived yesterday from Chief Aircraft. Opened the box. All I can say is AWESOME. [8D][8D][8D] The construction quality on this ARF is outstanding! NO WAY could I build a plane this well. I am pumped. The fully built up tail feathers are WAY COOL. Covering is incredible. Fibreglass cowl. Typical Fliton uncut canopy Instructions look to be the typical crummy Fliton sort [:@] Also, comes with all the glow gear, mounts, tank, etc...the usual stuff [8D]. I will post some pics as soon as I get a chance, I have to finish up the plane I was working on first so that I can get to this one! Steve
Old 05-03-2006, 08:54 PM
pezandbuster

Can't wait to get mine ordered. Did you notice if they made an adjustment on the hatch so you can attach it without making your own mounting system?

Also, I noticed chief has a decent priced combo of the edge and saito 100. I have the 100 on the extra and thought it was more than enough. Wouldn't the 82 fit this plane a little better?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:48 AM
Vette2fast

can you put that thing on a scale so we can compare weight to the 330, mine wont be in until next week.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 AM
RenoSportFlyer

Working today. Yes, the old regular job getting in the way! Tonight I will lay it all out, take some pics and weigh the parts. Didn't look carefully at the canopy attachment. Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.