Community
Search
Notices
Digital Video (DV) & Video Editing Software Discuss the use of digital video which we use to show our rc stuff off on the web. Talk about products, editing software, tips, ratings, rendering to the web, etc

D.Video vs D. still..??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:30 PM
wilga12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D.Video vs D. still..??

Hey guys, and gals, if there are any out there.

I've got a question to lay out, to you all, I feel that there is a lot of experience here,in this forum, to lean on. The question: If a person has only enough money to do this situation one way OR the other, what might be the pro's and con's. The situation: Is it advanteagous to take still shots with the Dig. video rigs of today or to take little short videos (say 5 minutes or less) with the still cameras,that can also do sound..?? Like a lot of you have said, I feel that my subject matter, will be comprised mostly of R/C situations, split something like 80% still (on the ground), to 20% in flight, or underway, on the water. Although, as time goes on that 20% may creep up to 35 or 40% .....At this point,I'm kinda'leaning toward a Canon Optura 600. A Dig. video camera with a 10X optical zoom and 4.3 megapixels of res. on the still photo's

Thanks to all who my "chip" in here,..............Dave
Old 04-06-2006, 07:41 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: D.Video vs D. still..??

If I had to choose only one way to do it, I would get a video camera with a good Still image capability
Old 04-06-2006, 08:22 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BVideo camera for video still cameras for stills. Which do you want to look better?

I have a $3000 3 CCD camera that takes O.K. stills. I have a $800 Sony Cybershot that takes O.K. video.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:26 PM
wilga12

Thanks, to you both. .................I'm still listening everyone, for more views/suggestions

Minnflyer......Your suggestion is the way I happen to be leaning,at the present. Do you or anyone else happen to know of a Dig. video cam. that will give me more than 4.3 megapixels of resolution per still picture..?? Another improvement I'd like to see for the Canon Optura 600, would be to bounce the max. zoom up to about 15X or 18X from the standard 10X Optical zoom.

Thanks,All...........................Dave
Old 04-11-2006, 03:08 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use ePinions.com for reviews and pricing.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:40 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

the Optura is a nice camera, but out of stock EVERYWHERE...

I came down to the Optura 600, the Panasonic PV-GS500 and the JVC GR-X5

I ended up with the JVC... mainly because I could get it as the others were out of stock everywhere.
but I don't feel I settled at all...
it has very nice video and excellent photos.. I have only had it a couple days, but it seems good so far.....

I ordered mine from B&H photo...no problems for me
Old 04-11-2006, 04:17 PM
wilga12

Exeter...

I didn't know this about the Optura 600,It's been a couple months since I was talking with my local camera shop "Shutterbug" but the manager lady didn't mention anything about the short supply.

With what you know or have learned about the camera,or the situation what do you suspect might be the problem..?? Did you hear anything about delayed supply, do to flaws or problems with the camera..?? Oh,and could you translate the line under your screen name please..??

Thanks...............................wilga12
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
tvguy

Hey there. I noticed your question, and I felt like putting in my two cents. The answer lies in what you want to do with the footage or stills. I always feel that a still camera is best for stills, and a video camera is best for video. But having said that, Check out this site [link]http://www.raidentech.com/24ghzmiwicoc.html[/link]. It is a 2.4 mhz wireless cmos video camera. It is designed for RC and is fairly inexpensive. There are several other camera systems like this as well. i find that you can create great still in most video software and with a deinterlace filter, it can look quite nice. The basic kit comes with the camera, tranmitter, mic, and receiver. All you then need to do is plug into a video recorder. Most video cameras will allow you to do this. I have been trying to get into ariel photography for a while now (with no luck(no money right now)), and this is how I would probably start out.

Tvguy
Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 AM
ko4ligas

For $1000 check the HD camcorders that SONY has out.I take 6.1 megapix fotos with exeland optical zoom and the video is better than SD