Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Old 05-20-2006, 12:46 PM
saintlouis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Hey Guys check my 1/8 Bazooka you might get something worth tryinghttp://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryCat.cfm?memberID=252092 .

I haven't read the entire pages of this thread but this is my advice. If you're a kyosho owner, it would be nice to buy a bazooka because most parts are interchangeable. You won't waste your plastic parts on your inferno because u can put them on the Bazooka. and for me it is fun :-) For the first timers the Bazooka or Redcat is a good buy especially you just have enough budget. I'm really hungry to beat those expensive buggies with a much cheaper one. i can imagine what they would feel. Currently my bazooka has the Nov P5 Engine. and the Inferno arms 777's. I just retained the front upper arms of the bazooka because it's robust
Old 05-20-2006, 01:32 PM
saintlouis

BuggygoVroom. you complained that the engine stops when you apply brakes? if that's the problem the thing that you would be messing up with is the Throttle STOP SCREW. It's located on the neck of your carburator. Your valve fully closes when you apply breaks that's why it stops. so you should turn the TSS clockwise to push the screw frther in. make this adjustments until the valve stops closing when you apply breaks. apply the opening setting of the valve by the engine manual.

Check this out : http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...emberID=252092

my bazooka is almost becoming an mp7.5
Old 05-21-2006, 11:38 AM
mozzzy_2000

yep definately the idle screw & its very very sensitive which can make it hard to find a balance.
Any other 777 parts that fit the front of the redcat?
cheers
Old 05-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: saintlouis

BuggygoVroom. you complained that the engine stops when you apply brakes? if that's the problem the thing that you would be messing up with is the Throttle STOP SCREW. It's located on the neck of your carburator. Your valve fully closes when you apply breaks that's why it stops. so you should turn the TSS clockwise to push the screw frther in. make this adjustments until the valve stops closing when you apply breaks. apply the opening setting of the valve by the engine manual.

Check this out : http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...emberID=252092

my bazooka is almost becoming an mp7.5
That was a while ago, but i took that motor apart and the piston was chewed up on one side. That was the stock redcat motor. Ive used a hyper 21 8 port and an OS VG MAX 21 since then and they both worked well. Im going to give the mayhem a shot and see how that car handles compared to my redcat. The redcat isnt exactly a redcat anymore as far as the entire front and rear is from an mp 7.5. The only origional piece left is the chassy and the center dif.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:22 AM
mozzzy_2000

yeah buggy I think your redcat become a hybrid many months ago now? Hey how did you find the Hyper 21 8 port? They're really cheap at the moment & seem to be a lot of bang for ya buck. How did it compare to the original stock engine in the redcat?

Cheers
Old 05-22-2006, 05:02 AM
saintlouis

Your suppose to put oil on all moving parts before use. wear takes place if there are friction accompanied by vibration ( the presence of dirt also excells wear ) :-) other than that i can't explain what happened to those burned parts. Cheers
Old 05-22-2006, 05:36 AM
saintlouis

HHHmmmm..
Old 05-22-2006, 05:37 AM
saintlouis

The Rear and front diff are still intact. i have not replaced them. you don't have to change the rear diffs to put 777 rear arms on it same as the front. in the front. you will have to take off the spring and a little filing to do to place the front 777 arms. i think, for as long as you don't change the rear , center, front diffs, it would always and still be a redcat buggy. i think the name of the car lies on the diffs and not the arms or engine, no offense it's just what i think. just for me it is. anyone could oppose what i said no probs :-) It's nice u got the Hyper 21 for the redcat that engine rocks i haven't use it yet but i've read a lot about it. that engine will be the one i would buy if my redcat stock motor breaks. just wonder how your stock redcat motor piston got chewed on one side, did you use fuel higher than 20%?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Buggygovroom

Well, i tried to learn how to tune for the first time on that stock motor... and i really liked the lean setting
Old 05-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: mozzzy_2000

yeah buggy I think your redcat become a hybrid many months ago now? Hey how did you find the Hyper 21 8 port? They're really cheap at the moment & seem to be a lot of bang for ya buck. How did it compare to the original stock engine in the redcat?

Cheers

I got the hyper 21 from a LHS that was going out of business. He sold it to me for 50 bucks with a roto start which i really didnt have a use for. I liked it better than the stock motor but my favorite motor so far is a Trinity Sirio monster horsepower .27XL. I really like the way that one runs.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:04 PM
redbull08

If you guys have a min i have a couple questions. One is tires, I see you have some street tires on your car buggygovroom. Now do they handle good on the cement? When I just want to mess around in front of my house i just have the cement street or grass to mess around on and of course it flips every other turn. Second question is i was running the other day and when i went to go take the air filter off i could squeeze the fuel out of it. Is that normal? It was running for about 10 min and then it stalled so i thought it was out of gas but later when i pulled the air filter off i noticed i did not run out.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Buggygovroom

I have a set of street tires, and a new set of belted slicks for the street. Running off road tires on the pavement is hell on the treads. Back when i first got the redcat i ran the nubby tires and posted some pics after about 2 hours of running and there was nothing left at all. The street tires have been excellent for street running, along with ofna wheel hub extensions the grip in the turns is like its running on a rail. I used to like the back to slide but it wont do it anymore

Are you squeezing air filter oil out when you squeeze the air filter? or are you sure its nitro fuel? Its never happened to me but id guess a very rich setting if its coughing up a lot of fuel out of the air intake. other than that im not sure.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:32 PM
redbull08

I am sure it is fuel, how should i fix that? Where did you get the slicks and hub extensions from? Thanks buggygovroom
Old 05-23-2006, 03:52 AM
mozzzy_2000

hey guys.
A few questions and answers. Saint louis. I have asked many pros about keeping parts oil etc and ALL said to me NO! That includes the the wheel hubs everything. The reason being is as soon as you put something sticky, like oil, on parts, they instantly attract dust & dirt. That ends up being fatal to a lots of parts. You'll get sand clogged into your wheel hubs is one thing that will happen. Best to keep those parts free or oil & grease and after every run, use a compressed air blower or something similar to dust out the sand. I certainly would never oil or grease parts before use. Thats apparantly is the best way according to the pros. Not sure what this has to do with your diffs though but if you've been putting oil or grease everywhere before use, its quite plausable that all the sand has stuck to that perhaps? Thats one theory I suppose. Also in regards to diffs, they are the very same ones out of the kyosho 7.5. Don;t beleive me? go to a hobby shop & compare the kyosho diff. Exactly the same on my buggy in anycase.

Buggy is on a world record for how many engines & buggys one person can blowup in a calendar year! well someone's gotta test 'em hey! Buggy how long did the stock motor last before it died? I have had 1.5 gallons though mine without any loss of compression. Thats on 15% too which may be the reason for its longevity.
But I was asking about the hyper 21 in reference to other 21's. I'm not supprised that Sirio 27 beats the crap out of it. That engine is like 3 times the cost for one! But yeah for 21's I was wondering if you had compared to other racing 21's thats all.
Hey if you are looking for an awesome cooling head for your sirio I can point you in the right direction. The head I put on my infinty 27 is actually the head for the sirio 27 monster block. My 27 would run inexcess of 270F++ but with this new head it now runs consistently at about 180F would you beleive? It now never ever cuts out due to being hot, it runs smoother & you can run tank after tank quite literally. Also looks totally awesome as it is soooo much larger than the stock its staggering. Sounds exactly like what you need buggy! Might make your engine last a lot lot longer & that expensive sirio is definately worth looking after hey! The head is not as expensive as much more fancy brands like werks or fioroni which makes it very affordable & a bit of insurance against premature aging of your expensive engine.

Redbull. Yeah get some good on road tyres, like the proline road rage or similar. You'll eat through expensive pin spiked tyres in hours otherwise. In regards to your airfilter. To be honest its something I have never encountered let alone heard of. Sorry this may seem a dumb question but are you sure you are not squeezing excess filter oil out? Stupid question but I gotta ask it hey. Also what colour is the suspected fuel thats seeping into the airfilter?

As mentioned though it is possible that your engine is running so rich that fuel is not burning properly & going back up the air inlet. Thats all I can think of. But having said that I, on a rich setting that has never happened to me. There's usually lots of fuel and oil coming out of the pipe. Is that occuring too? Ifso its quite plausable that it is rich. If there is no excess oil or fuel coming out of the pipe then I doubt it has anything to do with it being too rich.

Can I ask which engine you are running & nitro % please?

Cheers!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:47 AM
saintlouis

Frankly speaking, i'm not a pro but i'm just applying a little science from i learned from elementary to my hobby, i listen to pros but not to all. I am aware that oils attract dust specially grease. the oils that i apply isn't very dense like the motor etc. it's the oil that you use for sewing machines , it's almost like baby oil. the spur gears on you center diffs rotates at a very high speed, centrifugal force throws dust or dirt. so they don't get to stick on them. they just get dirty on the sides. right after i ran 2-3 tanks. i don't just use aircompressors to blow dirts away, i wash them first with pressurized water, i take off the wheels, brush away thicker dirst, aircompressor, then the hair dryer, then back to aircompressor etc. until i see them like new. that's the way i clean my buggies (then i put oil again) because after i clean i put them back to my glass showcase. i never get lazy if i do it again anfd again. As for the PROS i don't think they have much time to do what i'm doing. So they don't have to put oil on moving parts. When bearings run at high temperature with no oil, they get hot they expand so the bearing housing has the tendency to expand, as for the bearing they easily wear, that why you find it soon enough that you 'll be replacing the bearing s on your clutchbell specially the inner one. All this i learn from my hyper 7. so let's see who gets to replace bearings first. me or the pros :-) cheers. we have our on way of maintaning our buggies. this is mine. that's why i spend much buying the water pressure motor and ( oh once you wash it with water you have to dry it immediately with hairdryer so rust won't build up. ordinary metals like the axels of the redcats easily oxidize with water. so they have to keep dry. i like it when i hear from you because you research i lot more than i do so i learn from you too :-) keep it going.

PS i'm not stopping you or anyone from keeping oil on their buggies. like what what i said i'm not a pro i'm just speaking from experience :-) yeah cheers!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:58 AM
mozzzy_2000

hey louis by all means do what you like dude. I wasn;t saying you're doing it all wrong. I'm fairly new to this myself but when you ask pros in the shops & on the race track they say the same thing. Thats all I was saying. I aint no pro so I can;t dispute what they say. i agree though you can;t take everyone's word for it but when you talk to veterans racers way older than yourself (I'm talking 40+ here) that have been doing it for almost as long as I have been alive, then well you'd be pretty game not to take their advice don;t you think? Anyways like you said, everyone has their own way.
Not sure about cleaning ones buggy with water either. I'd certainly be spraying it with a water disperser like WD40. Not as a lub but as rust prevention. But then again you are displaying them so thats a bit different I suppose. But if you are regularly using it in the dirt I wouldn't be so keen to oil the wheel hubs. Thats one thing EVERYONE tells me, young & old. Not saying don;t lub the vehicle just don;t go overboard.
In regards to the pro racers, you reckon your maintenance is over the top? Talk to a racer & you soon find out thats nothing as they ususaly will rebuild the shocks, diffs & engine every couple week or so. Now thats heavy going me thinks!
In regards to sewing oil, thats what after run oil is dude. Goes in the engine of course. Never ever heard of anyone using it as lubricant on other parts of the car. No offense but I find that interesting.
Anyway dude keep up the good work! And if ya got time, wanna pop over to my place & give my buggy a detail?? haha
cheers
Matt
Hey another thing
Old 05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Buggygovroom

I got my rims and tires from http://nitrohouse.com/tires_and%20Wheels.htm

I have the GTP belted slick on a kyosho slotted dish rim, and the treaded road tires which i forget their exact name. Theres only 2 different sets of street tires on that page excluding the slicks i believe.

As for engines, I didnt blow up my OS I just swapped it for another BUT i did blow out the stock motor in 2 or 3 days since i didnt know how to tune very well. I learned some more on the hyper 21 which ran very well then tried an OS 21 then a rossi gold 21 which was pretty decent and finally a sirio 27. I have the mayhem coming in a day or two and im thinking on trying an RB C5 or C6BB 21 in it after im done toying with the sportswerks 26. I clean my buggys similar to how stlouis does except there is no glass show case for me its more of a "Last Chance Garage" untill i pick up a new buggy, but i still clean em out very thoroughly.

I also think i run more than the average person most weeks. There are some days or weekends i'll go through a gallon of fuel and a pack or two of batteries in one day and then go out to get more fuel and run a bit the next day. I think its time for a rechargable receiver pack

Ive also been using automatic transmission fluid as an after run oil if im going to let the buggy sit for a day or two. One question i do have is i keep breaking shocks and im not to sure why but it always seems like the small C clip along the shaft pops out regularly and all the fluid spills out. It happened to my stock redcat shocks and i figured it was common... but I replaced them with an upgraded set of shocks and the same thing happened the first day I had it out. It wasn't a hard bashing day either just some minorly bumpy trail running. Im thinking its just a fluke but I know nothing when it comes to maintaining the shocks... any info?

Thanks

Old 05-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Buggygovroom

This is what my car looked like after 6 or so hours of running on bike trail type roads.

and the tires had nubs on them when i started
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76097.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	465718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96598.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	465719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63335.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	465720  
Old 05-24-2006, 03:03 AM
mozzzy_2000

hey buggy I thought I used mine a lot!! But a gallon a day? wow is all I can say. No wonder you're going throough motors like dirty tissues! I take mine out every couple of days, maybe half a dozen tanks. I thought that was quite a lot in one session but I now think not.

With your shocks, what ones are they. The blue ones look like the ones from a mp7.5 sports? Apparantly the kyosho ones aren;t very strong but yours look like upgrades? Never had the same problem hey BUT I don;t use my buggy nearly as much as you do hey so I'm wondering if its just because the wear is greatly increased due to their high usage perhaps? Interesting though cuz I'm always pulling my shocks apart & nothings happen yet. Touch wood......

Hey with the on road tyres, what surfaces do you run slicks on & the treaded. I thought on road meant exactly that: On the road. Naturally I would have thought slicks in the wet but then you're not meant to run in the wet anyway, so whats the dif between the 2?
Does all that alloy, make your buggy quite heavy? Mine has not as much on it and it weighs a tonne compared to my mp7.5.
And yeah i can see why you clean your buggys well. Mine never gets that dirty hey & looks positively new compared to those pics!
Anyway guys I'll catcha later?
Matt
Old 05-24-2006, 03:41 AM
mozzzy_2000

Whats the difference between belted & non belted on road tyres? Obviously the belts but whats the difference in handling?
Cheers
Old 05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Buggygovroom

Belted tires dont swell at fast rotation like non belted tires do. I run the slicks on asphault but i got those after the regular road tires just to try a different set of road tires and they are pretty sticky
Old 05-25-2006, 01:32 AM
mozzzy_2000

argh I see. Yeah I was wondering whether the slicks offer more traction on the road. Are the tyres you bought good quality ones? I don;t think it mentions the brand on the website. As good as prolines?
cool, cheers for that!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:22 AM
Alex73

hey,
i want to get a hurricane xp and was trying to read all the stuff about it but dont have time,
i was wondering:
what the car is like over all?
what problems are there with it?
is it quick to accelerate from stop?
does it handle well?
whats it like at jumps?
whats it like on rough ground?
and whats good about it?
thanks in advanced for help
Old 05-25-2006, 07:42 AM
mozzzy_2000

Long answer is take the time to read some of our posts. Otherwise I'd be just just be repeating myself but the short answer is good news. I have the .27 version and I have been extremely happy with it thus far. Engine is a little tricky to tune but once dialed in it really performs well. A few glitches with the basic radio system. I have yet to jump it much but the stock shocks seem to be quite robust for RTR shocks. I also have an inferno 7.5 and they compare very well. Basically the redcat is modeled off the inferno. Subtles differences mainly being the front suspension. Problems thus far have been parts availability. If you intend to race that would cause problems possibly but they make a perfect backyard basher. For the price they are hard to beat when they compare enqually with the low end inferno & hyper 7.

Overall a great first buggy or with the right hopups you could turn it into a competent racer but again I'd certainly recommend them.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:30 AM
saintlouis

Hey dude, I only use WD40 for cleaning left over dirts or losening bolts , i'm not that rich to wash buggies entirely with wd40. The nice things about the pros they have the money to keep buying spareparts. i rarely buy spareparts coz I rarely break my parts

though i fly my buggy only 5 to 8 ft high using a good jump & landing area. i don't fly my buggies on jumps with a flat landing area :-) if you do the impact will overcome the pressure that the oil seal inside the shocks can normaly withstand specially the stock onces resulting to oil spill or leakage. It's really different if you just race or bash locally and race like the pro. i certainly would have change my style of handling if i race with the pros. at the moment i like it this way I spend less. this hobby is getting interesting.

Fellas, check this out : https://www.5spoke.com/offerz/?c=rcp...=index&r=rcpro

i'm finished watching this movie and i would like to share this. anybody interested?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.