Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Wattage Viking

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 03:33 PM
travelmaven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wattage Viking

Yesterday I maidened (and crashed) my new WATTAGE VIKING twin. For only $39 (Hobby People) it flew GREAT. Did I mention that I added EDF64's and Himax 2015-5400's. This was my first Jet with gear and IT FLEW. I will say that anyone building this model SHOULD change from the supplied hardware for aileron linkage as mine did come loose and resulted in a pretty nice crash. This is a great little jet (with wheels for ground take offs) and I already ordered a new one.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Zip tie

Default RE: Wattage Viking

I just got one my self and i must say that the hardware is very cheap. The instructions are great which helps[&:].
Are you going to try it stock set-up if so let me know.
My set-up will be a 3 cell 2600 lipo stock motors and a 24 amp speedo.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:15 AM
travelmaven

My setup is 2-himax himax 2015-5400 with 2 esc's. Worked very well until the hardware failure. I will tell you that I initially tried a 2100 Lipo on the stock motors. They burned out when I was just "playing around" in the driveway. I don't think they would have had enough power gor ground take off. Just got the new box in the mail and am looking towards new hardware for some good flying. This is a great little jet but go for brushless setup and DON'T USE included pushrod connectors.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Zip tie

How would you hook up the two bl speedos?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:53 AM
travelmaven

I used 2 castle creations ecs with a y connector. just make sure they are programmed the same for soft cutoff and such. i made a y connector for the power supply so i didnt need any special wiring for batts.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 PM
pileofsplinters

hey guys, I just bought two of these. they are my first electrics and i'm not sure what the best way to go for batteries is. I think im going to try the stock set up, wattage battery and all. Is it worth it to upgrade to brushless motors? what do i gain? also what lipo battery is best for the money and how much? is there a good lipo batt for the stock motors? what batt is the 2600 and how much? also do i need a different speed controler for lipo and the other kind? alot of questions i know, i just don't want to fry it .
Old 05-04-2006, 08:46 AM
travelmaven

i did not try the stock motors with a suitable battery. i did try the stock motors with the 2100mah lipo battery and fried them really fast (aka just taxi). this setup didnt seems to have much thrust at all. my bro in law uses stock motors and a 2 cell lipo for his gws dc3 and c130 with stock and seems to do ok. this might be the way to go at first and you only need 1 brushed esc. i went to 2 brushless and use the 2100mah lipo and love the setup. problem is cost as you need 2 brushless motors and 2 brushless esc's.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:37 PM
speleopower

The Wattage Viking flies quite well on the stock brushed motors using a 3 cell 1320mah Thunder Power pack, Great Planes 50amp controller (only brushed controller I had left). The stock brushed motors will work for quite some time on a 3s lipo.

I found the stock hardware easy to setup and reliable when installed carefully.

I found with this model be gentle on the elevator (use the recommended control throws) as it has a tendancy to snap stall pretty harshly and very abruptly if slowed down. I also kept a little power on while landing.

Good luck-Scott