Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

durability of the Revo

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:31 PM
drummerboy68028

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default durability of the Revo

Well, I just got a volcano stx from redcatracing a few months ago and I'm very disapointed. Now me and my dad are back on the market looking for a new truck. I've seen videos of Revos on this site and they seem very durable, however, my dad is very suspicious of these nitro rc cars. The reasoning for this is that we spent 250$ on the volcano stx by itself, 50$ for the starter kit or so, and probably another 400$ in parts. Now he is questioning whether we should get one, but now he is starting to consider buying another one after seeing these videos. So if you're still reading this and not bored to death, could you answer one question?

Driving the Revo casually and maybe doing a little ramping, do you like break a part every other time you run it or is it quite durable like what i see on the videos, thank you for any posts....

GOD BLESS.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Default RE: durability of the Revo

they all have issues of one sort or another. i dont own a Revo but i have 3 Tmaxx' from traxxas....they are pretty decent but even those have issues. this is an excellent hobby but the down side is it can be expensive.. tell you dad, ok no revo or savage or CEN Genisis, tell him you want to go nitro rc helicopter, but its 3 times as much to get into and fix until you get good at flying it....lol the revos appear very solid.. with a few mods like RPM a arms and a few upgraded chassis braces ect.... they are pretty dependable.., traxxas motors have a bit of legacy with being a pita to tune. personnally if you put on a different carb, you ll be ahead of the game imho...the 3.3s appear to be better with tuning, biggest thing in tuning is 90% of the time a little goes a long way..

other to consider as well as the Revo is a Savage, CenRacing Genisis or the other smaller MT they have, the model escaped me.., Team Lost MTL2.. im sure theres a few others will post up on.

imho its worth it but expect issues, and repairs.. my neighbors max went almost 2 months with only minor issues of a bent shock shaft, lost allens in cvds ect. then he had nothing but problems for a week strait... the odds caught up to him all at once..
hth
Timmahh
Old 05-28-2006, 01:07 AM
willalbert

I own a revo 3.3 and I live near a strip mine which I use regularly for heavy-duty bashing. I jump off 5 to 20 foot jumps everytime I run. I have landed on all parts of the truck including nose, tail, side, top, HARD on 1 wheel, etc... and I have not broken a single thing. If you fget a revo, you will not be dissapointed. for reference sake if a savage is a 10/10 on the durability scale, I'd give the revo a 9-9.5/10, but it has soooo much more fun factor than the savage. ne-ways, good luck in your decision.

Will
Old 05-28-2006, 04:11 AM
dirtsquirt

I own a Revo and a Savage 4.6 SS. and I can tell you that they are both VERY durable trucks. However I must recomend the Revo hands down over the Savage or any other truck for that matter. The Revo is just an engineering marvel, easy to work on, ready to race and endless aftermarket hopups. It handles much better than my Salvage and my Savage is a nightmare to work on. Like anything else you get what you pay for. I dont do much jumping over my house or stuff like that but my most expensive issues was when I was just learning to drive and I hit a telephone pole full bore, that will break stuff. Now I wish I had gotten another revo instead of my Salvage but hey...we all gotta learn somehow.
BTW I live in not far from you and there is good sanctioned racing in Omaha and lincoln if you are interested.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:16 AM
screamin chicken

Revo all day long, mine has been through it all and it still runs, and out performes better then others like, OS 18 in a tmaxx, climbing 40 foot dirt mounds and jumping off the other end.....its tuff......
Old 05-28-2006, 09:24 AM
RiseAgainst017

i have an e-maxx and im costomly converting it to an e-revo.then later i may convert that to a nitro revo. so i am turning an emaxx into a revo. revos are awsome. if i get one i am turning it to a racer.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:37 AM
infernalstone

Yea, I hate to say it, but if that Volcano is the same truck I think it is, ya'll picked a pretty generic POS of a vehicle. In this hobby, always go with name brands.

But above, the CEN vehicle that wasn't named is the Magnum NX. Also, look into the TNX.

As far as durability, I race my Revo, and the only thing I had to replace were the front suspension arms, which I replaced the RPM brand stuff. But that's what happens when you go wide open into the barrier time and time again.

Also, a hint. Since you're not racing or anything (and even if you were) if you break something, see if RPM makes the part. It'll be a little more expensive than stock, but it'll be SO much stronger, and the part has a "almost no questions asked" lifetime warranty. You can't beat that.

This is a great hobby, trust us. However, a bad first pick can really sour the first impressions. Also, see what your Local Hobby Shop has, supports and promotes. Yea, it costs a little more than to order on line, but nothing is more valuable than having an established customer relationship with the LHS when something goes wrong.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:57 AM
drummerboy68028

Thanks every1, this really helps me and my dads descision. THANKS AGAIN!!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
oz_hole

I too had one of those POS's (read the official truck thread, pg 8-9, etc.) I couldn't run mine or my buddies for more than 5 minutes without something breaking. After three 5 minute runs I coulda bought a Revo for the parts and shipping I needed
Since, we've both gotten Revo's and bash the crap outta them; sure things will break, but most of the time you don't notice it broke until you're cleaning it.
And we can get spares for them all over town... good luck.