Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:31 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Hey George, remember me? I used to live in Maryland but now reside in South Carolina. My wife and I bought a house and I finally got a workshop again! In fact, I went to Joe Nall this morning around 9:00, stayed until 2:00, worked on my Platt Bucker Jungmeister until 5:00, ate dinner, went back to the shop and knocked off for the day about a half-hour ago. THIS is the life!

Now I no longer have a GS Corsair, thanks to you, George, but I do have a suggestion for those of you following this post. You want to get together? How about Warbirds over Delaware next year? It simply does not get any better than that! It'll give you all plenty of time to finish the work and get chummy with your Corsairs. How cool would it be to see a gaggle of Corsairs in the air at one time? Way too cool! Anyway, just a thought.

Take care, guys, and enjoy!

Al
Old 05-20-2006, 07:28 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay Wulfman

I have had my feet in this thread sence page one trying to learn alittle on corsairs, and about a zillion pic's of my second build, I admit I am a amatuer at scale birds, when I build my next corsair it will have a lot more of the scale mods built in, depending on kit or plans that I use, turnes out the building was old hat but duing the scale mode was a real hoot for me, well so much for this wind is down so I thing its time to go flying

Cheers guys Bob T
Old 05-20-2006, 07:48 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

For Sure Bob--you're a lifer in the thread! We may have even had some "dropouts" on the way here. I got in comparitively late in the game--and then have only done stuff on my bird from an airframe state, so I'm way more of a watcher here maybe.

One thing's for sure, these things take a while to build and finish. I think the Ziroli planes I've done this past year went together faster than the Corsair build---shoot just that the word planes is in fact planes vs. plane might indicate that too.

Also Bob, you and I are at least somewhat close, so maybe I'll get to fly with you this summer??? I know George has got Scotty C in his area now for a wingman. Maybe you'll find your way to Wisconsin for a fly in?? If I can stumble back into my plane, it's maybe a month and a half from being done with focused attention. I could at least bring it and another plane to a fly-in though.

M.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:21 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

RRUDYTOO,
HI Al, Of course I remember you, If if wasn't for you selling me the GSCorsair I wouldn't be involved in this thread, and I know for sure I would have never met any of these "FINE PEOPLE" in this thread. So Al let me say once again THANK YOU.

RT3232,
Bob, Let me say, that when I started building this Corsair I never had any intentions of taking it to the level of Scale(if you will) to the point its going to be now. AS CLOSE TO SCALE AS ONE CAN GET OR REASONABLY SOMEWHERE IN THAT CATEGORY, WITHOUT OFFENDING ANY OF THE SCALE GUYS WHO READ THESE POST. always remembering of course its only a Top flite
George
Old 05-20-2006, 09:26 PM
rt3232

Hi George and wulf190

Yes it's only a T/F, But shure has been fun, still haveing a problem with the idle on my 62,[>:] carb was full of cotten or thats what it looked like, may get to field tomarow, weather man is predicting rain so will just have to see, darn thing has been sitting in the shop for 6 weeks

Cheers Bob T
Old 05-20-2006, 11:12 PM
ctflyboy

RT3232
You sure are right about having been FUN, plus all the knowledge I gained while being here. Hope you get the problems all worked out before it goes up.
George
Old 05-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Dave_ORCC

Well, I've been a "lurker" on this thread for quite some time and have definatly "taken" more expertise and experience from the regulars than offered any advice. Thanks to all who've answered along the way.

Bob, Yes, no, and no!! I do plan on putting a dummy radial in it, just don't have it yet. No, I haven't balanced it yet, and no, I haven't weighed it either. I figure weighing it will probably scare the crap outta me [X(] Gonna wait until after paint and final assembly to weigh it, will probably balance as I re-install all the gear in case I can move anything fore/aft if necessary or possible.

Should be in the paint booth by tomorrow afternoon

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Geeez Dave thats my thing being lurkey with my ole thread : "covering a T.F. G.S. P-47 W/ Flite Metal step by step. I finished the panels eons ago but got lost so as to speak in the details.

Well congrats on "finally"being ready to spray the finish coat
Old 05-24-2006, 04:27 PM
rt3232

Hi guys Ctflyboy, Dave_orcc, and Ramcfarland.

George I am still fighting the idle and weather so no maiden as yet.. Will post pic's when I get the maiden with a full report.

Dave sounds like you have every thing under control, I would like to offer somthing I found that works neet for me to get the battery as far fwd ( 2700what ever 5 cell AAsize) as possible build a box for it, to fit the batt's rap with fiber packaging tape leave a tail, put bat/box agenst the upper surface and fire wall of the fuse and using the white foam in a can foam it in place, make a neet job if you are carefull with the foam.

Ramcfarland I have read the thread on the P-47 and you do realy neet work, for me it is great fun to read all of the execlent scale builders threads, so I can use some of there idea's. My build is one of the corsairs in this thread, its my second effert in scale sence about 1956 and it has been great fun..I intend to try more detail on what ever I end up with for a winter build.

Keep posting pic's you guys

Cheers Bob T
Old 05-24-2006, 10:00 PM
cliff600

Hey guys I am back again. I will post some pics tomorrow. Still have a ways to go but a lot closer than I was. Will this fly funny with with no gear doors, because of the holes in the bottom of the wings for the wheels?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:13 PM
rt3232

Hi cliff

Glad to see you back, On my first g/s corsair all I did was make the wheel wells 1/16 bigger all around and pnl'd off, it flew fine, I don't know about leaving it open, the skins may vib/ a little and pull free..

Hope this helps Cheers Bob T
Old 05-25-2006, 08:49 PM
cliff600

should I panel the inside of the wells? I had not planned on it but it looks like a lot of open space inside there.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 PM
wulf190

Cliff, you don't have to if you don't want. It'll fly fine without doing anything to it. Seems open I know, but it works somehow.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:32 PM
wulf190

Seems like this step makes a lot of progress....really it's just adding a whole bunch more work sanding it all off now[]....the journey begins..

Bob, how's the maiden coming?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29222.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	468970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48932.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	468971  
Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
rt3232

Hi guys

Still no maiden as the weather and my time off from work just can't seem to match, will get the idle thing fixed tomarrow so if all goes well and less wid and rain maybe this week end. Did finaly get my frist flight of the season in to day with my 1/4 clipped wing cub though, wind was real choppy 5-15.

Wulf190 looks like you are comming right along,it seems like it will take forever, keep up the good work..

Cheers Bob T
Old 05-30-2006, 07:24 PM
wulf190

Not looking forward to all that sanding. Going to be messy. There's not many low spots, but that doesn't mean there's lots of mess in front of me here. Still not sure where to put the switches and air valves, but figured I would move on and keep thinkin on it. Seems like underneath in front of the wing behind the muffler exits is inconspicuous enough. We'll see when I get some more stuff in there.

Mike
Old 05-31-2006, 07:53 PM
rt3232

Mike

I am sure you know, don't put the switches and charge jack ware you might get oil in them it makes for disaster, so plan ahead.

I like to see pic's of work in progres

Cheers Bob T

Old 06-04-2006, 08:59 PM
ctflyboy

Hello Gentleman,
RT 3232, When you made up your muffler you did it out of Aluminum correct?

Seeing that alot of weight has to be added, Are you Ready

WHY CAN'T THE MUFFLER BE MADE OF COPPER?

just a thought.

have you had that 1st flight yet.
George
Old 06-07-2006, 07:56 PM
rt3232

Hi every one

ctflyboy it probly could be made of copper but it still would have to be at least .025 thick and brased or hi/temp silver soldered as exhaust temp at exect is about 900 deg's + 0r -about 200 deg's and with the G62 up front I still had to add weight to get a proper balance. One thing if I had to do it over I would be a little more careful in locating to ports, when I made my mock up I did not have any dwg's of a real bird so they were just (swaged) a guess its an old engineers accronim

Still fighting with my 62 but I will win, just not sure when..

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-07-2006, 09:38 PM
ctflyboy

RT3232

Could you be a little more specific on locating the 'PORTS" cause I'm seriously considering makin it up out of copper.

Thanks,
George
Old 06-08-2006, 09:21 AM
wulf190

Yesterday, such a nice day, but a bit breezy to fly, figured it was a good chance to get this bird outside and do some sanding on it. The whole afternoon and a nice red burn on the skin later (I know....use the sunblock)) this ugly duckling emerges pretty much ready for real priming and panel lines now. Came out really smooth, though it doesn't look like much. Whoever built the fuse did a nice job on it (wasn't me). Antsy to get color on it. Probably will shoot some primer on the wing later and see how that part goes. Probably easier to sand than the big cigar here....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40658.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	474268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39515.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	474269  
Old 06-09-2006, 05:43 PM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

Hello all, have a question for everybody, on set 6 of join the wings, it says to place the dihedral jig block under the center section and place the weights on the wing tips, If I do this it places the wing tips way off the building board! Is this correct?
Old 06-09-2006, 06:03 PM
D Bronk

Flip the wing over
Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 PM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

I seen what I did, and also went to the top flite web site, just a case of getting to excited about it and not thinking very much. I stopped working on it for the day to get my head back on right! So far every thing is going great with the build. Does any body have a video of the bird in the air?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:01 PM
D Bronk

Glad that was all the problem wasLOL..We`re all waiting for Bob`s (RT3232)to maiden, he`s going to show us some vid..I think he has an Idle problem..BOB,I`m wondering if it could be a fuel pump Diaghram fault..Bob try pressurizeing the tank ,just give it a Squeeze and see if that cures things..If she seems to idle better you need to rebuild that pump..Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.