Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Anyone Own a Savage X?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Industry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Own a Savage X?

Got an estimate in MPH my friend says his brothers goes 50 or more with it in his truck[X(]
Old 06-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Sparco

Ha...and i'm getting an Axial .32...and I have a 3-speed
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 PM
mountain_of_cheese

Question for the pros. I've got my engine out to replace the one-way bearing, if I were to shim behind the fly wheel, would I have to remove the clutch shoes to do it? Is it easy for a noob to do?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Sparco

yeah it should be fairly easy to do and the shoes can stay but you will need a piston locker and flywheel wrench...or large mouth grips and a 10mm socket wrench
Old 06-09-2006, 12:10 AM
mountain_of_cheese

i've got the large mouth grips and a 10mm socket wrench, are the grips just to hold the flywheel and the wrench is for?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:51 AM
mountain_of_cheese

I found my answer I think.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=619
Old 06-09-2006, 09:29 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Actually no. you'd have to remove the clutch nut, the shoes, and the flywheel if you were to put shims behind the flywheel.

Might as well replace your clutch shoes though when you do it
Old 06-09-2006, 09:42 AM
dISCOdAN

ORIGINAL: jeeperscreapers

I think the X comes with HD dogbones..... but i use the chromed out ones that came with the truckzilla conv. kit
Nope, the X comes with standard dogbones / outdrives. I have the full set of HD stuff on mine and they are holding up alot better than the stockers. I cant see any visible wear anywhere yet... the stock outdrives barely lasted a gallon with my Surefire 32 before they had massive grooves worn into them from the dogbones.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:47 AM
dISCOdAN

ORIGINAL: Industry

How fast would a 25 with stock gearing go with a Axial .28 in it?
If your talking about top speed, it wouldn't go any faster at all and would likely have a lower top speed because a 28 will typically have a lower max rpm than a 25 (but not in all cases) You'll have a whack of extra power with the Axial.... Ive seen them run, and they are very powerful, so you can utilize that by gearing up a bit, and stil have more acceleration than the 25
Old 06-09-2006, 09:50 AM
dISCOdAN

I'll be running the Twin Savvy on the weekend... I'll try and get some good video of the insanity [X(]
Old 06-09-2006, 10:30 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: dISCOdAN

If your talking about top speed, it wouldn't go any faster at all and would likely have a lower top speed because a 28 will typically have a lower max rpm than a 25 (but not in all cases) You'll have a whack of extra power with the Axial.... Ive seen them run, and they are very powerful, so you can utilize that by gearing up a bit, and stil have more acceleration than the 25
lol it'd be impossible to keep the front wheels on the ground...have to set the EPA on the throttle to 10%
Old 06-09-2006, 10:36 AM
mountain_of_cheese

I plan to replace the clutch shoes soon also, but since the engine is unmounted, I thought I'd do something before losing a spur gear. But considering all the things that need to be removed, maybe I'll wait till the new clutch shoes arrive.

Thanks ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Actually no. you'd have to remove the clutch nut, the shoes, and the flywheel if you were to put shims behind the flywheel.

Might as well replace your clutch shoes though when you do it
Old 06-09-2006, 12:29 PM
mountain_of_cheese

It was actually easier than I thought. Shimmed with washer between the collet and the bearing, had to remove the brass collar and replace it with 2 semi-thin washers because the collar locks the clutch when the screw is tightened. Also going to take someone's advice and get a allen head screw. Clutch shoe springs were kind of tricky at first, but overall it took about 40 minutes to complete. The mesh is right on now. Thanks everyone for the advice as always.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:05 PM
jeeperscreapers

anyone had experience with the tsais cvd's..... whats the big advantage of cvds over dogbones
Old 06-10-2006, 08:12 PM
jeeperscreapers

well i know theyre supposed to put power to the ground more effectiently... BUT is it a noticable differance???? I also seen some on ebay that had a double swing shaft... but i'm looking at the tsais ones
Old 06-10-2006, 09:39 PM
jeeperscreapers

welp I just bought the tsais cvd's front and rear.... hot bodies center front cvd.... hd drive cups all the way around.... sticking with the hd dogbone for the rear center since its extended(for now)

I was gonna buy the fastlane extended lcg chassis..... but I guess it'l have to wait!!!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 10:57 PM
bigair78

Jesus Nick you are buying stuff like crazy!!!! To bad we'll just break the crap the next week!!

You know, for the right price I won't tell Maggie about the stuff you bought!!!!!

welp I just bought the tsais cvd's front and rear.... hot bodies center front cvd.... hd drive cups all the way around.... sticking with the hd dogbone for the rear center since its extended(for now)

I was gonna buy the fastlane extended lcg chassis..... but I guess it'l have to wait!!!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 01:06 AM
LivingLegend

ok, i am having a problem with something slipping in the drive train. i have a savage x with about a gallon and a half through it. i am running ofna alum clutch shoes with the softer of the two sets of spring is comes with all put in the 18t cb that comes with the savage x. my spur is a standard 49t with the slipper spring removed and a spacer being used in place of it, the whole slipper setup is tightened down pretty hard, i cant imagine that the slipper is slipping but i may be overlooking factors. the inside of my transmission looks perfect (no nicks or scratches and it all feels solid) and the flywheel has been tightened down very snug on the engine output shaft.

whats happening to me is that sometimes when i punch it off the line the engine revs and nothing happens. then when i ease on the throttle the car moves just fine and i can punch it from there. if i take apart everything and clean it, i can drive it hard for a tank of gas or two and then it starts slipping again. the more i drive it after it has started slipping the more it slips. i have been driving it on a dirty and dusty area where there is thin gravel and dust over pavement (the truck slides sideways really nice, tons of fun)

when i refer to cleaning the truck i am talking about taking the engine out and cleaning the clutch shoes of burrs and examining and then re-tightening the slipper, along with general truck maintenance like air filter and sometimes a full hose down.

in total i have run into the slipping on three different outings. between each the clutch shoes and slipper where examined and the slipping keeps coming back.

if anybody has any ideas as to what my problem could be or what i could do to fix it i would greatly appreciate it. i know that some people have switched the x style slipper to the old style slipper, is that because they were having problems like mine? is there a way that my trans could be getting stuck between gears for a second? anything? anyone?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:28 AM
dISCOdAN

Yeah it sure sounds like your slipper isn't grabbing well enough. I had that issue and thats EXACTLY why I switched to the old school slipper hub. I couldnt ever get it tight enough to hold on WOT from a stand-still. The only thing I see you didn't mention was what engine your running... so I'll assume its the stocker. If you take the slipper off and look at the pads you should see how much wear they have. Maybe I'm wrong... but slipper pads are about as cheap a fix as youll find lol... throw a new set on and see if it helps
ORIGINAL: LivingLegend

ok, i am having a problem with something slipping in the drive train. i have a savage x with about a gallon and a half through it. i am running ofna alum clutch shoes with the softer of the two sets of spring is comes with all put in the 18t cb that comes with the savage x. my spur is a standard 49t with the slipper spring removed and a spacer being used in place of it, the whole slipper setup is tightened down pretty hard, i cant imagine that the slipper is slipping but i may be overlooking factors. the inside of my transmission looks perfect (no nicks or scratches and it all feels solid) and the flywheel has been tightened down very snug on the engine output shaft.

whats happening to me is that sometimes when i punch it off the line the engine revs and nothing happens. then when i ease on the throttle the car moves just fine and i can punch it from there. if i take apart everything and clean it, i can drive it hard for a tank of gas or two and then it starts slipping again. the more i drive it after it has started slipping the more it slips. i have been driving it on a dirty and dusty area where there is thin gravel and dust over pavement (the truck slides sideways really nice, tons of fun)

when i refer to cleaning the truck i am talking about taking the engine out and cleaning the clutch shoes of burrs and examining and then re-tightening the slipper, along with general truck maintenance like air filter and sometimes a full hose down.

in total i have run into the slipping on three different outings. between each the clutch shoes and slipper where examined and the slipping keeps coming back.

if anybody has any ideas as to what my problem could be or what i could do to fix it i would greatly appreciate it. i know that some people have switched the x style slipper to the old style slipper, is that because they were having problems like mine? is there a way that my trans could be getting stuck between gears for a second? anything? anyone?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:45 AM
LivingLegend

i dont see any wear on my slipper pads. my slipper pads look like new except they have deep indents in them from my tightening them down so much.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:26 AM
dISCOdAN

hmmm, im at a loss then
Old 06-11-2006, 10:32 AM
jeeperscreapers

Yea I tried calling you yesterday.....Did you get our new video up yet???? I'm ready for the ramp today!!!! I wanna do something crazy.....
ORIGINAL: bigair78

Jesus Nick you are buying stuff like crazy!!!! To bad we'll just break the crap the next week!!

You know, for the right price I won't tell Maggie about the stuff you bought!!!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 12:20 PM
ashburg

I snapped one of mine jeepers..I've gone back to stock dogbones

anyone had experience with the tsais cvd's..... whats the big advantage of cvds over dogbones
Old 06-11-2006, 12:42 PM
veedub

hello all , i ran about 6 tanks through my x today and got it running very nicely , but i have 2 questions
first is it normal to have to give it throttle with the remote to get it started because it wont start without doing this first even when its hot.
and second no matter how low i get it to ide it always seems to move the wheels a little not alot but just very slowly spinning . should i try backing the nut off on the slipper like 1/4 of a turn and see what happens?

thankyou for any replies in advance
Old 06-11-2006, 02:55 PM
jeeperscreapers

its normal to spin a little.... dont go messing with the nuts.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.