Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Anyone Care to Help a Newbie?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Anyone Care to Help a Newbie?

Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Beebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Care to Help a Newbie?

Hey everyone,

I am a beginner RC Airplaner, and I have not yet purchased an airplane, but I am looking forward to the experience! What do you guys recommend as a first plane for beginners?

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-16-2006, 12:17 AM
hellyeh

Default RE: Anyone Care to Help a Newbie?

Are you looking at Electric , or Glow power ?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:30 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first thing to think about is joining the AMA for insurance and to find local clubs. the insurance the AMA provides is well worth the cost in case of a accident you have coverage ,I live in S.F and in the bay area there are several great clubs mine is PCC.org peninsula channel commanders, but there are a few that are closer to Los Altos the AMA club locater would be useful to find one. go to a meeting and check things out you will find alot of great people who will help you along the way finding a plane that suits your needs and desires . as well as RCU which is a super resorce for information on radio control everything pour through the treads there is so much info . then to your first plane mine was a NEXTAR glow powered trainer worked well for me. check on line at TOWERHOBBIES.com they have alot of deals going and great prices . for a go to store check J& M hobbies they are local and very nice to deal with they are in san carlos
Old 06-16-2006, 04:26 AM
jetmech05

Assuming you know what big tim said is true and assuming you want glow then i'd go with an LT-40 from SIG. I'm also assuming you plan getting an instructor or you won't have your plane long
Old 06-16-2006, 06:43 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Welcome to RCU!
The AMA club locator is at: http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx . This is a good place to start your search for clubs, although it sounds like bigtim knows some local information too. As he said, it's a good idea to visit some of the clubs and see what they are using. In addition to being your source for learning, they will be able to answer questions while you are assembling the plane.

Once you know if you want to go electric or glow, you'll be able to choose a trainer. For glow, the trainers are all very similar. There are many threads on this question. I usually recommend buying an ARF instead of RTF trainer. Buying the ARF and selecting the components (radio, engine, etc) gives you more choices. You also get some experience installing the engine, setting up the radio, etc.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Beebs

Thanks for all your help!

So what is the exact difference between electric and glow (other than the obvious)? If there is a guide to all this stuff, please point me in that direction and it would save a lot of people some time!

Thanks so much.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:12 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi and wecome!
Electric planes are powered by small electric motors. They also require an Electronic speed controller (ESC) and batteries to power the motor. The latest technology in electrics is Lithium Polymer batteries although there are still some folks that use NiCad or Nickel Metal Hydride batteries,,, but they are fading fast. Usually the electrics are a little more expensive, especially if you go with a brushless motor (better, stronger, lasts longer a LOT longer) and Lithium batteries.

Glow planes are internal combustion engine driven planes. Using a glow engine is the traditional way of powering a modestly sized plane. You have a few choices such as 2 stroke or 4 stroke engines. Both run off of basically the same fuel but 2/4 stroke engines differ in almost the exact same ways as a 2/4 stroke lawnmower engine. The 2 strokes are cheaper and simpler and generally do a nice job. Millions of great planes have flown for years on 2 stroke engines. 4 strokes are generally about 1 1/2 times the price of an equal sized 2 stroke but the 4 strokes generate more torque and swing a little larger prop and are just generally better performing engines pound for pound. Thats my opinion based on experience with both 2 and 4 stroke engines.

Both types of drive systems will require a separate battery power supply for the servo's and receiver. Both will generally have the same electronics setup for a given plane.

Either way you should expect to spend 400-800 bucks if you go with a basic 40 sized trainer plane like the Nexstar, LT40 or similar trainer planes.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:45 AM
Beebs

Thanks for the help, MikeEast.

So which electric trainer would anyone recommend? The NexStar and the LT40 are both glow powered...

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2006, 03:52 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well theorectically the LT 40 could be fitted for electric pretty easily. Its a kick butt trainer, arguably the best and most versatile trainer ever made.

My unsolicited advice would be to go glow. If you really want to fix an LT 40 for electric. I would suggest going to the electic fly forums and ask some of te guru's over there what the best setup would be. They would probably be your most efficient source of info.. There might be someone here with solid electric experience but I really have not seen anyone in the beginners forum that knows anymore than I do. When it comes to electrics, that is just enough to be dangerous. [8D]
Old 06-17-2006, 02:29 PM
drewfer

check out hobbyzone.com They have a bunch of really nice ready-to-fly electric planes that range from beginner to moderate skill levels. I am currently flying the aerobird challenger.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:38 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

BigTim has some good advice, and I'll expand on it with my $.02 worth. Find a local club, go hang out and express your interest to different members, but without becoming overbearing about it. If the club is a good one, they'll welcome you, and before you know it, somebody will have you on a buddy box letting you see just what it's all about. If the people ignore you, or treat you like a dummy, look somewhere else. Find out when their meetings are, and attend one, meet more of the membership, and show an interest in joining AMA.

Make a list of questions to ask, including the ones you've asked here. When someone can give you hands-on, and show you stuff, it will make your choices easier. Don't buy anything yet. If you find that right club, someone might have a deal on a used trainer and radio, save you some money. You'll get a "pre-dented" plane, but whatever you buy is gonna get beat up during the learning curve.

Fuel or electric, there is support equipment specific to each, and taking one path over the other is a decision to be made after you look at each one. You can fly small park flyers without a huge investment, and still go the fuel route as well, but the larger electrics can get just as pricey as glow or gas. Consider a 2400mAh LiPoly battery can go $80+ and the better motors can get as expensive as glow engines. Lots to think about, and just by hanging out with a club at the field you can start figuring out what you will want to do. Part of (a BIG part) the fun in this hobby is the cameraderie that goes along with the stick-and-rudder stuff.

FWIW, I fly glow and gas, don't have much interest in electric. I want my planes to make real airplane noise. As for a good trainer, my 3 choices would be, in no particular order:
1-Sig Kadet Sr. (ARF, has ailerons)
2- Sig Kadet LT-40
3-Telemaster Sr.

All fairly large planes, easy to fly, but planes that offer more than just being a trainer. Go 4 channel from the start.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well sounds like you want electric. As you see everyone likes the Sig Kadet line. Well Sig makes an electric. The Sig EP 42 Kadet ARF sells for about $150 and comes with the motor and ESC. Give it a look.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:42 AM
hellyeh

Beebs , don't overlook the Aerobird Challenger , it is a good little plane to teach you the basics of flying AND landing . I started flying with one of those and worked my way through the learning curve with a few different Hobbyzone and Parkzone planes , until i finally stepped up to a glow trainer . I honestly believe my skills as a pilot were very sharply honed with the lighter park flyers , as they teach you to react to sudden flight changes instinctually , as they are lighter and get tossed around more by sudden wind changes . I maidened my nitro plane on a fairly windy day without incident , which i believe was a result of developing the reactions with the Park Flyers . I have seen several new flyers start with larger glow planes and wreck a few of them while trying to learn , which can get costly , and do NOTHING for their confidence . The great thing about the park flyers , is that they are CHEAP , and EASY to repair after crashes , which you WILL have while learning . With a few mods found on this site , you can make these planes quite durable and more responsive as you progress to keep you interested . Do heed the advice of others as well about finding a club near you and joining and becoming active in their activities , it will help you alot as well . I spent alot of time at the field just watching others fly , before i purchased my first plane , and learned a GREAT DEAL . A few guys in my club used to poke fun at me for "playing with kids toys" , until they saw how well i can handle my glow plane . The ribbing has stopped and the comments are now positive . Just my .02 cents worth .
Old 06-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Mitty

For my trainer i built spad called debonair. Total cost of building material was about 16$ plus weekend of time in a shop.Plus radio gear and engine and fuel.
If interested i would recommend to go www.spadtothebone.com and look up under free plans.Then choose "trainers" and choose "debonair"

You'll have no fear crashing -it means you'll think of flying rather think of how not to dent your model.Thats how i learned.

Mitty
Old 06-19-2006, 09:13 AM
jetboy11914

Well, I guess I'll also give my two cents worth also,
Basically I started with a Hangar 9 Xtra Easy glow trainer about 3 yrs ago, but I couldn't find the time to drive to the club and fly and everything. So I purchased an SFM Soarstar (electric) from horizonhobby. Wow, I'm definitely enjoying it and I'm thinking about advancing up the Xtra Easy back again. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:10 PM
monmankey91

if your looking to go with an electric i would go with the aerobird challenger. Handles nice and has two modes. The best part is that its cheap and durable
Old 07-22-2006, 04:10 PM
N46203

Carl Goldberg Eagle 2, it builds well and flies awesome. It's easy to grease landings in and is quite aerobatic, throw a little rudder in with aileron and the thing will roll like crazy. Split Ess and Immelmans take a little training but are possible, and you can sustain inverted flight quite easily. She will also slip OK and loops are a breeze and if you want simple barrel rolls you can do those too. Handles faster flight pretty well too.