Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Gear Box

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 09:25 PM
daved5775

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Box

I have a Tornado XL I think the differential big gear(part#02029) is bad because the front right side wheel turns intermittently. Does the part# 02051 gear box have any parts inside or is it just a shell? I would like to replace it as one unit if possible.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Popper252

Default RE: Gear Box

02051 is just the plastic housing. It doesn't come with any gears.
Are you sure that gear is what you need? I'd def. recommend takeing it apart and looking at it before you start ordering some parts.
If it's just your right tire that's spinning intermittantly it may be your planetary gears getting jammed up or something like that. It may just be something as simple as regreasing and adding gear oil.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Popper252

To replace the entire thing you'd need the following parts:

I think that comes with the planetary gears.... I'm not sure. If not you'll also have to buy those.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 PM
daved5775

What kind of oil goes in the gear box?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Popper252

To be honest with ya I just picked up some car gear oil from advanced auto parts for about 3 bucks. I don't know if the r/c cars use something different but my gears are in great shape so the stuff is working well. I also noticed when I changed out the oil that the little plantery box was missing a lot. It was only about a quarter full so I made sure to top it off.
You'll also need some grease for the inside of the differential box where the big steel gear and the pinion mesh. Again, advanced auto parts to the rescue. Picked up a little tub of grease and slathered it all over the gears.
The picture is of what I used.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76513.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	480522  
Old 06-20-2006, 10:13 PM
mjwest19

hey guys when i put my gear boxes together i used fishing reel grease and oil from wal mart fishing reels have kinda the same type of gears so i thought it might work better om gonna get some of this brand though it is supposed to be the best made check out these links[link]http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44519&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=4&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse[/link][link]http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44520&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=4&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse[/link]
Old 06-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Team Knowitall

ORIGINAL: daved5775

What kind of oil goes in the gear box?
Don't put any in it. Don't grease anything. This is what I've learned over the years from bevel-geared cars...if you grease it, the grease will attract dirt, and wear your gears faster. just make sure they're meshed well and you should be fine.

Also, that diff set is an assembled differential. it's the whole thing