Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 06:57 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

YS63+25% Cool Power Heli+APC14x6=

Basin ... might the above equation be correct? Dang ... I am still to lazy to get mine out from the box!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Pashka_22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,
It seems to me that cowl on mine plane would not fit straight over fuselage – it is just a tag too small.
Did anyone experience this problem?
What did you do with your cowl?
Pashka
Old 06-20-2006, 11:24 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

yea i had the same problem too, You gotta really squish it and eventually it starts fitting lol. Try fitting in on one side then pushing in the other side. Is it me or this plane is pretty tail heavy and alot of weight needs to be added in the front? I have a saito 100 up front and the servo's are where they suppose to be.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Pashka_22

Thanks,

Well, It is on now . It is squishing bottom section of the fuselage. hm.... I will leave it overnight - will see.
I have Saito 100 and I am going to put elevator servos on the tail. If yours is tail heavy with servos on their standard positions that makes me think - how am I going to set proper C.G.
Probably will put battery on the motor mount like someone already did (I think STG)
BTW in instructions recommended battery location inside motor box, so it is probably tail heavy by design!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:34 AM
NJAIRSTRIKE

yea, I was thinking about how tail heavy it would have been with the 2 servo's for the elevator on the back. I have a 600 battery all the way behind the engine firewall. I still need to add a few ounces of weight just to make it balance right. Keep playing with the cowl and you will get it.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Pashka_22

Does anybody know at what temperature covering on this plane will shrink?
Can I use my hair dryer to do that?
Thank you.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Vette2fast

I have my servos in the tail with a saito 100 and I was slightly nose heavy with the battery on the motor box... I am still shifting the CG back, battery is now ontop of the gear mount.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
RenoSportFlyer

Pashka, it is not just you. I have the two servos in the tail and it was tail heavy with a Saito91 until I put the battery in the nose. The tank is on the CG with a Perry oscillating pump. Also, THE COWL IS TOO FRIGGIN SMALL. I ended up dremeling down F1 former across the top to make it a little easier to get it in position. Steve
Old 06-21-2006, 11:42 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I am thinking this Edge or the Extra,for extreme lightweight a YS 63 with 14x4W,maybe lithium batteries and some other ways to shed some weight for some down low and floating 3D
Old 06-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Xtrem3dJer

What size prop are you guys using? ON the Saito FA-100? For extreme 3D

What kind of throughs do the surfaces have? Degrees?

Thanks, Jeremy
Old 06-22-2006, 12:50 AM
sknx
My Feedback: (4)

Xtrem3djer,

15X6 APC and 15X6 Skorepa. I have just 2 flights on Skorepa , the spool is better but I'll hold any comments for the moment. I fooled around with different props on FA 100 ( Zinger, MasterAir, Grauphner ) on a previous plane and at that time the APC 15X6 was the winner. Second place as static thrust, surprisingly was the Grauphner ( can't rememeber axactly the pitch but it was a 14X? 7 or 8 ). Did not like the feel on APC 16X4 but It's only my opinion. Have to find the data table.

Boby
Old 06-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Vette2fast

I have also tried the 16x4w on the 100 with this plane and have to agree about the feal. I too decided on the apc 15x6.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Xtrem3dJer

The guys at Chief Aircraft recommended the APC 15x4w, so I ordered two. Thanks for the info....
How much throw do you get on the surfaces? How much is really needed.

Some day I will get this into the air, I've had it for more than three weeks. But I'm trying to build the best set up...or close to. I am waiting for the Berg 7! I just put the FMA VRL12 Regulator and a 1200mah Lipo, which will run at 6 volts. But for now I will test with a Berg 5 and hopefully fly next weekend.

Thanks, jeremy
Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 AM
sknx

I put 2day 7 flights with my Edge and I love it. Elevator___ Low rates 15 degrees UP, 18 down - Medium rates 27 Up , 30 Down High Rates 40 Up 43 Down
Aileron ______15, 25 , 33 , Rudder _________ I can't remember. It locks beautifull in harrier, I 'm confident to browse the whole field 1-2 ft from the ground and it looks nice.
You have to keep a little throttle in knife edge and walls, it snaped on me once. My setup is on nose heavy side , on my 14 oz tank I burned half of it in 13 minutes. I might go with a smaller one.
Boby
Old 06-23-2006, 01:01 AM
NJAIRSTRIKE

hey sknx,

Thats funny because with my extra it was a lil nose heavy and it harriers GREAT but with the Edge 540 it keeps snapping because its on the tail heavy side.. I noticed that slight nose heavy the fliton planes fly alot better. just my 2cents. I added 3 Ounce to the front. we'll see how that works.

Forgot to add i also have a 15X4W.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:08 AM
sknx

NJAIRSTRIKE,

I noticed that on my extra as well. Forgot to take off the glow igniter 2 times and I was amazed what big difference it made. I was torqrolling when I saw the 4 oz thing hangig.
I did it by mistake last day with the edge but it did not improve. Lost a wheel on that flight as well and I didn't want it to harrier land it . It was just nose heavy.

Boby
Old 06-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Vette2fast

I guess its just me, but I like this plane a little tail heavy. It realy helps to flatten out the spins and it makes hovering easier for me. The only problem that I had with this plane snapping out was because I had the horizantal stab ouy of line do to my own screw up. I have since fixed this and it does not snap. This is one of my best planes. I just hope my new Wildhare Edge flies half as well.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Vette2fast

I have yet to try the 15x4w on this platform, please let me know how it is.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE

Well guess what, I added the 3ounce in the front next to the firewall and kaboom the thing flies like a dream. The funny part is, its still a touch tail heavy when you balance it but overall it flies SO MUCH BETTER just as good as the extra. Amazing! With the 15X4W it hangs alot better. Mine was snapping out because it was tail heavy but I do agree that when it was tail heavy it would hover MUCH better but it flew like crap.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:19 AM
NJAIRSTRIKE

If you guys have problems landing sometime's or feel that you may have a hard landing those carbon fiber landing gears will brake so here's a tip that has been working for me real well. My carbon fiber landing gear cracked a bit and it was in time when it will completly brake even from nice landings so here's a tip that will fix this problem.

What I did was drill a small hole in each side of the landing gear, I put through the pull pull wire in each hold and made sure it was real tight and used the crimp to hold it together. Now when I land no pressure is on the landing gear but on the wire thats holding it REAL WELL. I have attached a picture so you can see.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36889.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	481990  
Old 06-26-2006, 02:20 PM
RenoSportFlyer

Maiden flight for the Fliton Edge 540 Freestyle over the weekend.

Setup:
Saito91s FS with Perry Oscillating pump mounted on the motor box
Motor box reinforced with triangle stock, firewall and F1 former pinned with carbon fiber
OS "F" glow plug
Master Airscrew 15x6 K series prop (about 9500 RPM at WOT)
10 oz Dubro tank on the wing spar
30% Cool Power Heli Fuel
4 x JR DS811 digital sport servos with large Dubro arms
1 x Hitec HS81 on throttle
JR 700 slimline reciever
1600 mA Expert NiMH pack velcro'd to F1 former
Dubro wheels, Sullivan steerable tailwheel (after the stock one fell off)
Elevator halves joined with a steel wire joiner
Throws all maxed to the bevels on high rates with ~70% expo all around
CG on the wing spar (about 4 inches back)
AUW without fuel 5lbs, 14 oz

Flight report:
Flying at 4500 feet above sea level here. Handles like a trainer on the ground. Take off-no issues. 2 clicks of aileron trim. Precise, level flight on low rates. Very responsive to rudder and aileron inputs on high rates. Flys very "light". Tracks well in loops with some expected pull to the left on the uplines. Vertical is "unlimited". Inverted is hands off. Slows down very well on downlines-probably due to large prop and fully built up stabs. Upright flatspins are FLAT and fast with some throttle on. Blenders are beautiful with FLAT inverted spin. Plenty of aileron authority. Knife edge flight is the best I've ever enjoyed with a plane of this size. High angle of attack knife edge straight down the runway with rudder authority and power to spare. I am sure it will knife edge loop. Hovering and Torque rolls were done up high as I get used to the plane, but it will perform these manuevers with plenty of pull out power. Not quite enough elevator authority in the hover attitude as I would like, but workable. Upright harrier can be performed all day long with this airframe. Barely noticeable wing rock (just like the Fliton mini Extra). Just put in some elevator and power and steer it around the field with the rudder. It will not snap even at idle and with full up elevator at idle it just does an elevator right straight on down. Landing can be done from a harrier or with a little speed on. Tended to want to "keep on flying" while landing. Worked best to just set the angle of attack and then use the throttle to control airspeed and land without much flare.

Overall, I give it an A+++ in flying characteristics for a plane this size.

Still gets a C- for the build and the included hardware and manual.

Steve
Old 06-28-2006, 08:53 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE

Alright, Do you guys know where I can get landing gears? Do you think the funtana will fit if I cut it in half? any advice please, thank you.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:50 AM
Vette2fast

Glad to see you finaly got it in the air Reno.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:08 AM
Xtrem3dJer

Reno,

Sounds great, I am running similar gear, but with the Saito 100. Mine CG'd at about 4" also, luckily i did not have to add any weight. Still waiting for the Berg 7, they say July! Tomorrow I will start her up,.........My first 4 stroke. Normally I fly tiny fun fly gas planes and electric, and the largest a 46 size extra 300 with a 52cc on it.

Glad to here this plane can do most all, if not all, manuevers. Really excited to see blenders and flat spins. Of course harriers are always fun.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:00 PM
.:RClunatic:.
My Feedback: (21)

this plane is awesome, just picked one up. I am going to use a 4stroke OS.91... can someone tell me how far out I have to mount it and the location of the motor holes? Much appreciated, thank you....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.