Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

tornado xp disaster

Old 06-28-2006, 06:44 PM
jdmitrb18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tornado xp disaster

tornado xp...220$ nitro,glowplug igniter,glowplug...39$ starting your car for the first time and having it go crazy on you and hit a wall at full throttle breaking your rod and putting shrapnel in your brand new engine...priceless

anyway thats what happened to me, An rc car horror story. When i go to start my brand ass new tornado xp the throttle was all the way open. so immediately my car takes off as fast as it can go and races around for 15-20 seconds until its stopped by a brick wall and i am able to grab it. i go to start it up again and break in whats left of by motor when my pull start wont pull. so i end up breaking that too in the process. i later take my broken wreckage of an rc car to the local hobby shop(hoppy people)to find out the extent of the damage and to get a new pull start and front hub carrier.i find out that my sleeve was too big for the piston and the rod snapped of the crank shaft.I'm hopeing to find a replacement piston rod and sleeve so i don't have to buy a new motor because the block is in good condition. if anybody can help me let me know.its a tornado xp .18 motor, all i need is a piston rod and sleeve, if anybody knows where to get these items or has any extras please contact me.thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48948.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	484334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75058.jpg
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	484335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28696.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	484336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81345.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	484337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51368.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	484338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41594.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	484339  
Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tornado xp disaster

topspeedtoys.com has engine parts, you have to always make sure there are batteries in the car and tranmitter, that they are on and everything works, and make sure the idle it set correctly, about a 1mm opening in the carb, (gap seen when air filter is off). sorry to hear it bro.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:03 PM
TopSpeedToys

That really sucks jdmitrb18,

I'll try to help you out with the parts. Shoot me and email.... [email protected]

Mark

Old 06-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Popper252

Hey man welcome to the forums, sucks that it had to be under these circumastance though. Do you know why it took off on ya like that? Did you have your radio and reciever turned on and working? Just instinctively before I go to start my car I'll pull on the throttle trigger and turn the wheels to make sure things are working right. You should try and make that a habit. Topspeed has all of the engine parts that you'll need and he's a really reliable guy. You won't go wrong dealing with him. Hopefully you'll get the parts that you need and you'll be up and running real soon.
And just as a little tip, be sure to thread lock the screws on your back plate when you're putting everything back together. They tend to wiggle out real easily. And while you're at it you should probably go through and thread lock as many screws as you can. Especially the metal to metal ones. It'll save you a ton of trouble later on.
The reason you're gear stripped like that was because you didn't line up the gear mesh properly. That'll cause it to eat right through the thing. Next time be sure to line them a little closer. I haven't had much luck with any of my gears so I can't give you much advice in that dept, but if you read through some of the threads you'll find lots of good explanations and ways to do it.
Good luck man.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:49 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum bud !! Yeh , that really sucks !!! Mine had a bad throttle servo when I got it and a bad transmitter. Make sure if one of those items is the trouble to get it warrantied fast. Only thirty day warranty on the electrical.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:50 AM
jackkpl

Looks like he will do pre racing checks every time from now on .
Old 07-02-2006, 04:32 PM
tat2d2dope

i think the disaster started when you bought a redcat.
don't get me wrong i was and still am a noob, and did the same thing.
redcats are built very poor, and cheap.
i got an HPI and it's solid as a rock compared to my redcat.
pawn that redcat off on someone and get a team losi, jammin, traxxas, or HPI
it will save you a ton of money in the long run.