Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

2X4 GASSER SPAD

Old 06-29-2006, 01:17 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2X4 GASSER SPAD

I had an aluminum hub before and I just prefer a steel bolt and steel shaft. The bolt holds well so far. Plus it was so cheap and I designed it myself. What is more rewarding than that!
Maybe on a Mustang or Ultimate the aluminum is called for, but for this Stud-Monster it just screams for the steel. Maybe you sould get some suface rust patches on it too, I mean, its a flying 2x4 for pete-sake You gotta love it!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Mitty

Interference you got is caused by metal pushrod for throttle. Interference travels from yoru coil/spark through yoru pushrod to the nearest metal part then through the servo wire to your rx.
Use a nylon pushrod with plastic clevis [8D].
By the way,that smiley face look pretty cool on the wing
Old 07-14-2006, 05:02 PM
jpr72c
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey - put this baby on a gas/glow mix and get rid of the interferance, and about 1 pound of mag deadweight. Check out the engine conversion section.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:52 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally a chance to test fly. It turns out it was too heavy. Maybe at 7lbs she will fly. Once I shed some more weight off the motor and fuse. The field I tried it in had some really high grass as well. The tests runs told me alot of what needs to be done. I'm not giving up on the idea, it's just too much fun messing with a weedy motor and a 2X4! It had about a 60 yard run before it got light on the gear. On the final run I ran it the whole length of the runnway and it had a ditch at the end so I pushed it and it didn't clear the ditch. Nicked prop and sheared gear and motor off. 2 drywall screws holding the firewall broke free like I thought they would. What a tank! I am definately shedding the ignition and going GGL(gas/glow mix) to shed another pound or so. It could probably use a larger/flatter wing. I'll have to make an 8ft wing with 2 mil coro. I think I'll also mod the venturi a little more up to about 10.5 MM to get some better response. I think I'll try a 14X7 to get a little more RPM as well. The motor still seemed overly rich from mid to high(no high speed needle.)
Old 03-19-2019, 07:07 PM
ChrisKnee

Did you ever get your Ghetto Plane 2x4 gasser spad to fly? I calculated that your CWL (cubic wing loading) was 11.3 which is definitely flyable. I flew mine at a CWL of 15 !

Christopher K.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 PM
ShopTech

Fly! That thing is almost old enough to drive!