Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
xray m18mt
17.95%
hot bodies minizilla
5.13%
team losi mini lst
69.23%
miniquake
2.56%
miniquake se
5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

i need a monster

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 03:27 PM
*Nitstklr72*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: i need a monster

the mini t is very strong i broke my bulkhead jumping off myshed i even got a vid ill post it later 2night and the mini t is a good racer
Old 07-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Seek and Destroy

good to know cause i want one.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:54 PM
jaymac

NEED ADVISE: I am thinking of buying an 1/18 truck and would like some basic feedback ie: out of xray, team associated and Team Losi what is the better option. I plan to install a brushless system one day and want to use the truck for just bashing around the dirt and general off road running. I have a little bit of experience with electric RC's but am a novice! I must admit - the more I look at the XRAY monster truck they more I like it!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: jaymac

NEED ADVISE: I am thinking of buying an 1/18 truck and would like some basic feedback ie: out of xray, team associated and Team Losi what is the better option. I plan to install a brushless system one day and want to use the truck for just bashing around the dirt and general off road running. I have a little bit of experience with electric RC's but am a novice! I must admit - the more I look at the XRAY monster truck they more I like it!
well since you said you were a novice, then the xray probably isn't for you, because it's a kit, which means you have t build it and do all of the oils and greases and stuff. and you have to put in electronis, not the best way to go for a begginer. the associateds are good but they don't alow you to go on dirt because they don't have a gear cover. if you want to run on dirt you need an extra $25 for the gear cover. the mlst is good but since your a novice you might have a hard time with the diffs. you have to boil them and grease them. the mlst would be the best for you just cause you want to run offroad and you won't have to build it but you do need to boil and grease the diffs. you also need a good charger so you can charge the batteries quicker. hope that helps.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:44 AM
*Nitstklr72*

same here
Old 07-17-2006, 01:49 PM
83gt

Hm. The RC18T is a nice truck. I think you should just figure out what the problems are, fix them, and mod the truck to be what you want. You can out-fit it with alot of RC18MT components to get better clearance, and figuring out the gear problem should be easy enough. It sounds like you aren't shimming them out. Anyway, the way I see it, you're going to get a monster, and it will probably fall into disrepair as your 18T has, and then you will think it is a POS too. These things take work, and tuning, and modding. If you're going to stick with this as a hobby you need to learn how to find the problems and fix them. No trucks or cars are perfect out of the box. Anyway, that said, I would go for MLST, but only after new diff gears are released and you can observe on the forums how they hold up. There should be a few options for gears out early August. That's only a few days away, and then you can spend a week or two watching how the new gears hold up to BL motors. If we can find a solution so that we can run very powerful motors in the MLST without stripping gears and bending dogbones It will be a very very fun truck. So my vote goes to MLST.

J>
Old 07-17-2006, 02:55 PM
oldshoolclod

ORIGINAL: rc18t145

i'm tired of the 18t. the socks leak, so i have NO oil in the shocks so there like friction shocks[:'(]. everytime i drive it the gears get screwed up, so i take it apart and look at the gears and there perfectly sharp and pointy. the low stance doesn't let me have any fun with jumping[&o]. the diffs suck and i have to re oil them after every week or so. i can't even do a backflip with this motor, but i could with the stocker. do you want me to go on?
LMAO!!! welcome to the REAL world of r/c buggy's!!!!!!!

seriously, there is NO truck or buggy out there without any problems, they all have their ups and downs. you have to spend time fixing, cleaning, checking and oiling/greasing the truck regularily, otherwise it WILL be a POS because you havent looked after it!!!!!!!!!!! i hate cleaning my trucks, but i know if i don't then i won't have much fun, only troubles. for example, i wasted a whole day last We baecause i didnt check my servo savers, they locked up in the end(on my FIRST pack!!!) and stripped the servo. so there i wasted a whole day(travellled to my mate's is about 40mins there) because i didnt check it over before i started.

my shocks leak, i re-oil and grease my diffs and bearings often, i sometimes break stuff(when i do stooooopid jumps which are fun but never last long!!) and that needs fetteling with. that is why it is called a HOBBY. if you do not like faffing, you are in the wrong hobby. I'm not flaming you, just my 2cents.........

i got the MLST and it ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Seek and Destroy

i tear my truck down every week to re-oil the diffs and stuff. and it's annoying to have to take the top deck off everytime. btw, i figured out what the problem was, but i'm not going to tell you. settledown[sm=tired.gif]
Old 07-17-2006, 05:29 PM
manblue
Banned

just tell us^^
Old 07-17-2006, 05:43 PM
jaymac

Thanks for the feedback and help. When I say novice I meant to say not completely a novice as I did build a Tamiya kit (the fighter) from scratch. The xray truck that I found is already built - just add electronic kit that comes with it!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Seek and Destroy

the xray can't go on dirt cause there is no gear cover.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
jaymac

do you know if they can be bought?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:52 PM
carmatic1

the thing about an rtr is that you take it out, and you get all exited and stuff when you first take it out of the box and you charge the battery and see it go in a few minutes or hours time... then comes the actual work and you have to start taking it down to its pieces , nobody looks forward to dissasembling a truck for no good reason (you need motivation like when something has broken or if your putting a better part in)

that said, rtr's dont come with assembly manuals like kits do, the truck itself is the manual!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Seek and Destroy

i don't think so, but i guess that only leaves the, mini lst.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:55 PM
m0stexplicit

dumb question ... what is brushless?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:18 AM
83gt

We'll forgive you the dumb question. Brushless motors don't have brushes to wear out. Brushless motors use an electronicly controlled power distribution unit instead of brushes and a commutator like a brushed motor. They are more efficient and with higher RPM capabilities.

J.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Seek and Destroy

[&:][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif].........thats too scientifical for me.....lol
Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Mitchell91

ORIGINAL: 83gt

They are more efficient and with higher RPM capabilities.

J.
there you go mate, thats all you need to know, a rotating magnetic field is created to spin the motor.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 PM
carmatic1

ok, look for information on 'flemings left hand rule' , in kids physics textbooks, and you'll see how a basic motor works... magnets on the outside applying a magnetic field, a rotating bunch of wires on the inside creating temporary magnetic fields which always end up pointing at right angles to the magnets ... you know that stuff, right?

in a brushless motor its the magnet that spins , the wires stay fixed to the motor , theres no spinning wires to connect to the power source, you make it rotate by changing the current thru the fixed wires to get a different magnetic field and you 'pull' the spinning magnet round and round this way
Old 07-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Seek and Destroy

how come on bl motors it's the middle that spins instead of the whole oter thing of wires? on my bl motor it's only the little middle part that spins.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:21 PM
m8a1r22t

A while back you guys were talking about diff for the mini-t, the best one from experience is the MIP because I have never had a problem with them and I have many mamba 8k motor and I have converted a mini-t to use 540 motors and it has yet to have a diff problem, so I sware by MIP diff, incase you get a mini-t. I hope this help

P.S. I told you the 18t sucks, I glad you made the right decision by selling it.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Seek and Destroy

actually i haven't sold it.................................yet.