Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 11:58 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Hey George

That 62 has less than 1hr, on it so replacement is not an opticion, finding the problem is and the problem may have been the couse of the demise of my first corsair. it turns out there are two types of isolater blocks, on the early engines it was an orange phenolick mtl and is susceptible cracking between barrel and mounting holes causing air leak hence a problem, but even the new type can be a problem, the amount of gasket between the carb barrel and the same holes can cause a similer problem, as the gasket width is only about 3/32. and there is just enough slop in the screw holes to alow this to happen.
The first time I removed the carb I found the gaskets glued in place so I may have to do same..and I may just replace the carb but will try the new iso/blosk and gasket thing, befor replacing carb.

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-25-2006, 09:19 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
Wulf you certainly are 100% correct in laying out and lining up for these struts and gear doors,
but like anything else I'm gaining on it.
George

Old 06-25-2006, 09:25 PM
ctflyboy

Hello All,

Has any one noticed this THREAD is a year old, and still going strong,

Old 06-26-2006, 09:08 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

And here's a little more to keep it going.....

Panel lines on the upper wing put down under the rule of eyeballing them only. I measured the second side once I got the first side to look somewhat reasonable. It's tough to really do them right as the wing doesn't fold obviously. Was just shooting for a "looks kind of neat" policy on it.

I'll simulate the covering as well with some Flitemetal pieces painted over.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26184.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	483335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59634.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	483336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70150.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	483337  
Old 06-26-2006, 09:56 PM
ctflyboy

Wulf,
IT ALL LOOKS GOOD FROM WHERE I"M SITTING

George
Old 06-27-2006, 05:36 PM
rt3232

Ok Hi guys

When I build my next corsair I plan on glassing , pnl lines and canopy, But for now wulf those lines look good to me her in minnesota.

George thanks for reminding me of the age of the thread, it also means I am older Any way I have the 62 back together but due to work[>:] and the outher comitments have not had a chance to see if it will runs right, maybe later this week.

Anyway you two keep up the good work.

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-27-2006, 08:22 PM
ctflyboy

Hi Guys,
Well tonight I got one gear cover cut out and installed and built up the edges and front with EVERCOAT, (WULF you were so right on the evercoat, I just love that stuff) so now it smooth& even on 3 sides a little touch up and I'm ready for the other one. will post pics soon.
George
Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
ctflyboy

RT3232,
Bob, we here are all very anxious to hear that G62 RUN and we are all waiting patiently to see the video,of the maiden flight
with all the problems you had, how long of a setback 6-7 weeks now.[]
George
Old 06-28-2006, 07:02 PM
rt3232

Ctflyboy

George Well considering all things I first tryed to run it the late march, then with the wifes helth problems etc, it jumped to mid may then I hit the ER and now its late june and as best I can say it will be try to get a stedy run this sat, then butten things up double check every thing and if the weather holds a maiden on suday or next tues.. have work and rehab on monday So will keep you posted..

I may have to forgo the vido as the fellow wirh the camera is out in north carlina till late july.

Cheers Bob T

P{S keep you fingers crossed
Old 06-28-2006, 08:25 PM
ctflyboy

will do RT
Old 07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
rt3232

Just a bump

HAVE A GREAT 4th and wave a flag or say thanks to a vet for the freedom they have so braveley protected..
Old 07-03-2006, 09:29 PM
ctflyboy

RT 3232
Thanks and you also,
I'm going to spend the day flying

George
Old 07-03-2006, 10:03 PM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

For the guys who are putting a pilot in the plane, what are you using that looks correct for size?

Thanks,
jc
Old 07-04-2006, 09:14 AM
ctflyboy

jchorak,

I am using "LT. Doc Miller" from the Elite Force Collection, . Do a google search for elite force ww2 pilots, a page will come up ELITE FORCE MILITARY FIGURES click on that scroll down Doc Miller is the last one on the page, it is really neat as he is complete in the box. Although of what I 've read he may have to have some surgery on his legs to shorten him up. It's to my understanding that most WW2 pilots were between 5'-0" to 5'-9", he scales at 6'-0". Just thought I would throw that in in the event that your doing any kind of scale
if I can be of further assistance PM me.
George
Old 07-04-2006, 10:04 AM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ctflyboy,

Thanks for the info. Yes I will be scaling.

jc
Old 07-04-2006, 04:07 PM
rt3232

Hi jchorak aka jc

I took out the fwd blkhd and still had to do his feet, any way the boots were way out of scale, and with him sitting in the right position no will know anyway.. Nice to see you following the thread. I like to see what outhers are doing so how about some pic's

Till I get my 62 dialed in and a maiden I am about done.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-10-2006, 09:11 PM
ctflyboy

RT3232,
Well I had both gear door made up of glass and they were a bit short[],
so not being happy with the end result,I threw them in the scrap bucket [&o],
Now this will be the 3rd and final attempt seeing, that I have just enough glass left to do another set I feel quite confident they'll come out OKand to my liking
when I get them all set I'll post a pic .
George
Old 07-11-2006, 09:18 PM
rt3232

Hay George

give us a pic of you layout with some ref/lines, mabe we can help with the frustration or if you need dim's from mine, will be glad to furnish, if need be pm me with a phone # and we can talk, what ever works for you. As I am superised you are having problems.

Now about the hanger queen got in tuch with an old club member that used to run a small engine repair shop ( garden tools) he looked and listen to my 62 he is sure it still has an air leek,, he found it, its a bad casting right ware a celender screw comes thru the case havent tore it down as yet, but a #2 screw will got it to the case. when I get it tore down will post pic, and I may take it over to a welder,if he cant do it,I think I willtry JB Weld Thats it for now

Cheers BobT
Old 07-13-2006, 08:14 AM
wulf190

As a pal of mine always says..If it ain't a hassle, it ain't scale George. No worries, as doors are made to be ripped off on the first landing that the gear doesn't come down on, or folds from lack of air pressure.[X(]!

Got the wing fully panel-lined yesterday and will keep moving ahead to get the fuse in the same condition. I think I'm looking at about 31lbs of all up weight when done......like Gary's on page one of the thread. Wing looks pretty cool with all those little lines on it I think. Strange pattern of panels on this wing with all the ammo hatch covers and fabric covering on the outer portion. I kind of ad-libbed on the top side panels where the wing fold seam would have been, just putting on the panels that I though looked right on there. Very evident on the bottom of the wing that things aren't scale with wing chord and gear locale.....The real plane's doors extended much further back towards the flaps than is the case on the model. My doors are scaled to proper size, and they end up with more left behind the wells than what should be, so again, a panel ad-lib following Dave Platt's advice.....if you don't make it scale, then just make it look "kind of neat".

We'll see how the panel line lines up that goes on top of the main wing spar and leads into the fuse former in the area where the white tape over the fuel tank seams is located at as it represents the forward edge of that little white tape arrangement in front of the canopy. This may be off due to the fuse shape and canopy location, but will keep following the Platt rule....working alright so far. Pics later.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:15 PM
rt3232

Hay Wulf190

Have you posted any pic's of your gear doors? I started to do the same with scale and I thought they looked out of place so I went with the eyeball approch on the back end. Also I am ready for you Pic"s of the pnl lines, Did you tape and prime and pull the tape method ? what. One more question, What is an excepted air pressure decay rate ? I start with a 100 psi .

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-13-2006, 09:04 PM
ctflyboy

Good Evening Gentleman, Bossman good to see you in here,after all you started this Thread,and would like to see pics of yours, we all would.

Gentleman, I had enough glass to make the final set of gear doors, and they came out good, what I did was use all the glass I had to cover the full chord of the wing where the gears are located about 15" + or --, Started epoxying the stiffner on the bottom side where the Nelson hinge will be located. pics to follow, Hey Mike your right if it ain't scale it ain't a hassle,
George
Old 07-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Dave_ORCC

Well, I finally got some colour on my Corsair. Got the big parts done, now to clean up the lines a bit with an airbrush then on to the finer details.

Things should progress a little more quickly in the coming weeks. (fingers crossed)

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33408.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	494661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15967.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	494662  
Old 07-21-2006, 02:25 PM
wulf190

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] Nice. What paint did you use Dave? I've got some Warbirdcolors stuff in the same colors as you've got going there, Muchos Beuno.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Dave_ORCC

Hey Wulf, thanks!!

The paint is DuPont automotive 2-step. The guy in the second pic is my painter friend and he mixed the colours himself. Bought some modelmaster paint in the appropriate colour and he matched it. He's been mixing and colour matching paint for years. It's good to have talented friends

The master scalemen out there would probably cringe at the thought but, what the heck!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-21-2006, 02:49 PM
wulf190

Well he did a bang up job matching it I think. I know other guys like this technique too. I tried it on my Pica Spit, but the guy didn't get one of the colors right, so I ended up using ModelMaster on it, and have since used only that. I'm looking forward to using the WarbirdColors paint, but this goes on a Hellcat in RAF scheme....my Corsair will get ModelMaster as I've already been collecting the appropriate colors for a while now.....it takes a lot of those little bottles.[]

I'm mired doing rivets at the moment, and that's going to take a long time...probably a couple of weeks at this rate.[:@] But getting there. It gets frustrating seeing yours done so nicely knowing I could spray paint on mine right now and make it look pretty....will keep working though. It's sat for so long I think there's no need for me to get anxious now.

Can't wait for the marking pictures..keep em coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.