Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Wjhat is a reasonable flying speed for sport aerobatics.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Wjhat is a reasonable flying speed for sport aerobatics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:05 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Wjhat is a reasonable flying speed for sport aerobatics.

What is considered a reasonable flying speed to aim at obtaining for a gas powered 68" span 10 lb. Extra with a 27 oz./sq.ft. wing loading, being used for easy general sport flying and basic aerobatics, no hot dogging stuff.

Karol
Old 07-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Wjhat is a reasonable flying speed for sport aerobatics.

No fixed number works. The speed at which the plane will safely and effectively fly most maneuvers equally on an up and down line. Level, up, and down, all generally equal. That's usually a lot slower than most fly at, including myself.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:45 PM
tkg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sufer is correct the speed on the up and down lines should be the same as the horzontal speed. This means that you MUST use the throttle as something other than an on/off switch
Old 07-29-2006, 08:07 PM
RTK

Hey silversurfer, my plane flies vertical as fast as it does level you know that
tkg and silversurfer are correct though. But if you are looking for a mph number, I would guess a range of 30-70 for general sport aerobatics. If you 3D that could also go to 0 mph, but you are not really flying then.

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

No fixed number works. The speed at which the plane will safely and effectively fly most maneuvers equally on an up and down line. Level, up, and down, all generally equal. That's usually a lot slower than most fly at, including myself.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
karolh

I am planning to prop my engine to achieve a top speed of about 55 mph.

Karol
Old 07-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Cappy69

DO NOT prop your motor to achieve the top speed you desire!!! You want the motor propped to be in the manufacturers recommended rpm range. You may get lucky doing what you want to do....but chances are, depending on the motor, you'll end up having it under propped and spinning to many rpm's on the top end.....or it will wind up over propped and the motor will always be too loaded......neither of which is good. You're best bet, in my opininion, is to prop it correctly within specs, and use you're ATV's on you're throttle servo to limit the motor to fly at the speed you want when max stick is given. This way the motor is happy...and so are you. Personally, I just think it's an even better practice to not worry about it, and just use good old fashioned throttle management when flying.

Cap
Old 07-30-2006, 03:20 PM
karolh

Cap,

That makes a whole lot of sense. Hopefully I will get lucky.

Karol