Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Old 07-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Looking real good and thanks for the pictures. Where did you get that style of RX antenna?

Mods
Old 07-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steelie - I wouldn't worry about the struts that come with Spring Airs now. I believe it is just my set that are screwed up from being a mismatched set. I think the struts they are supplying now with the HD versions are similar to the Robart ones. Either retract will work fine, as the Robart 700's are also recommended by Alex of AKM.

Mods - This is a Deans whip antenna. Very similar to the Revolution whip. I have used these with great success in the past, so I decided to use one here. I still have to perform a range check, etc, to ensure I have a good signal. [link=http://store.xtremercproducts.com/wsd1101.html]http://store.xtremercproducts.com/wsd1101.html[/link] I think I cut my antenna wire at the 10" mark suggested in the directions. It leaves a little play for installing the Rx in the nozzle. What I did was make an access hatch from underneath the fuse, pull some string from the aft end of the plane, up through the center section to the hatch, and installed the antenna from the bottom. After I was done, I screwed the hatch in place (single screw) and sealed up the seams with covering so no oil could get in. The antenna comes white, and I used a red permanent marker and colored it red to blend in with the fuse.

Spar
Old 07-28-2006, 07:55 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Steelie, I had a similar problem with my spring air struts but it did not prevent my gear from fully retracting. I prefer the Spring Air mechanism becouse it has the failsafe feature of lowering the gear by "spring" action if the air pressure drops of due to a leak or line rupture. I also charged my Spring Air System a few months ago and the gear still retracted (slowly) this week - tight system.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

ORIGINAL: Sparhawk

This is a Deans whip antenna. Very similar to the Revolution whip. I have used these with great success in the past, so I decided to use one here.
Spar
Spar, can you remove the whip for transport? Does it screw out or is it permanently instlled? I thought about using this type of antenna but I was concerned about "hanger rash" damage.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Sparhawk

Yep, the whip is removeable, and is only put on finger tight, as tight as you can get - no tools! I don't think it is necessary to remove it since it is only 6 1/2" long. Unless you are working on the plane upside down in a foam cradle, for instance. For $8, it is cheap enough to have a spare antenna lying around too.... just in case it happens to vibrate loose, but I have never lost one yet.

Spar

Mods-R-Me - if you want the lettering and the number templates, as well as the star pattern dimension file, let me know and I can zip them up and email them to you later tonight. It should save you some time.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Sparhawk

Markings are now complete! Now she looks finished.

All done in Mokokote, then sealed in with a layer of clear Monokote. The white is actually a lower temp SolarFilm, so that it wouldn't lift and bubble the blue drop shadow pieces underneath. Talk about time consuming...[:'(] but worth the effort I think. Maiden flight is scheduled for tomorrow.

Cheers,
Spar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98606.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	498541  
Old 07-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Sparhawk

Hoorah!!! Another Flanker gets some wind under its wings!

Out to the field this morning, hot, and a sign of winds picking up.... bloody 90 degree crosswind too [>:]. Not impressed, but my buddy Al, who is a smokin pilot said he'd take it up and ring it out. So, I let him. I did a once over of all the linkages, etc, and with the Dean's antenna, performed a good range check and I stopped walking after 100'. It performed flawlessly. I am sold on those antennas. Back to the maiden. I fueled her up with some 15% Cool Power Heli formula that I had, primed the engine, and hit her with the glow power. She sputtered a bit then died. Opened up the carb a wee bit more and spun her up. She caught and held her own, then I set up the high needle. Low was fine as transition was bang on and instantaneous. Time to fly. Tracking on takeoff could have been better, but I saw that Al had the rudder on high rates. It took zero, and I mean zero, trim. CG was dead on, but a bit hard to tell with the winds we had, so it needs flights in calmer days to say so for sure. Fast, but the 12x6 may not be the best prop as it had to be flown in the upper 25% to really move, so I am going to try a 12x8 and see how that does. Set up for approach and greased her in. Gear held up, except I forgot to flat file the same set screw on both mains and they twisted outward. Fixed it at the field with a file. I thought I covered everything, but it goes to show you that you can always forget something!

So, she looks bloody good in the air. Tracks great and is not bad for a propjet. I am glad I went with this scheme, but it's a scheme I wouldn't recommend to anyone due the work involved. The guys were impressed with it though, so I am pretty pleased with her overall. I did have some video, but the camera guy screwed up his camera and deleted the file later in the day ... We will try again later in the week to get a good flight video done. Here are a few pics, of a few pose shots, the Flanker just breaking ground on takeoff, one in the air and a landing pic.

Now go fly something fast!!!

Name:	Hf97646.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	499430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16928.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	499431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45624.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	499432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88834.jpg
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	499433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb38541.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	499434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz38268.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	499435  
Old 07-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Blade47

Congrats Spar!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:51 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

Spar, that is great news. Congratulations on the maiden. Those are some good looking photos. I'll post them soon on my web site with the other SU-27 Flankers (http://iflyrc.hypermart.net).

The flats on the landing gear is the only thing left to do on mine. I will keep you all posted on my maiden to take place in the next two weeks.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:32 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Wow........ looks great!! Im glad it flys as well as it looks !!

Bob
Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Sparhawk

Thanks guys, but I also have to thank everyone else here, that has provided tips, mods, and recommendations, etc, that made this plane a success. Not just mine, but for anyone that is currently building one. With a forum such as this, it is great to have a place where ideas and experiences can be shared. Success rates are much better because of it and it shows!

If I can get a decent video done, I will post it, so stay tuned!

Spar

(Bob - I just may have to cough up the $ for a real engine one of these days...)
Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM
bob27s

That one looks real enough

sounds like the performance with the muffler is doing pretty well as it.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:51 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

Awesome looking bird glad all went well Congrats
Old 08-05-2006, 05:14 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Took the flanker to do the maiden today. The good news is I brought it home just like I took it out. The bad news is, we did not fly because the engine would not run properly with the exhaust extension I put on the tuned pipe.

To make a long story short, I broke in the OS 91FX with the tuned pipe but I did not use any deflector or extension on the end of the pipe. In order to direct the exhaust residue out the bottom of the plane, I added an extension that ran from the end of the pipe, through the fake engine intake and out the bottom of the plane. I used a large diameter blue silicon tube. It obviously caused some back pressure issues as we could not get a consistent transition to the high end - engine cut off at half throttle.

I may try to rig something up to allow the use of the pipe but I think I will just buy a Jett mufller and be done with it. Quite disappointing for me and the guys at the field.

Name:	Yw68295.jpg
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	502109  
Old 08-07-2006, 07:59 AM
bob27s

Vic,

I thought you tried it with the extension on the bench ?

try bending up something like that from thin-wall alumium tubing - see if it works any better.

When you bend the silicone a bit, it tends to flatten out and choke off the cross-section - gets tighter.

Bob
Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Sparhawk

Sorry to hear of your troubles Vic. I am sure you will get them sorted out then you will really enjoy this plane.

I attended a large event in Eastern Canada this weekend (Great Atlantic Fun Fly), but turnout was not very good due to the heavy winds on Saturday. This plane flies on the Jett pipe like there is no tomorrow. I changed up to an APC 12x8 and it rocks! I might even try out a 12x10 to see what it will do, but I definitely like the 12x8. The sound from the pipe is very sweet and everyone at the Fun Fly commented on how it sounded... quiet! Tracking on the ashphalt was steady and presented no problems. High speed passes from a few hundred feet verticals was solid when doing passes at 6' over the runway. No signs of flutter at all. My upgrades to 1/8" wire on the stabs is solid. I am very, very, happy with this plane and setup. There were two TV crews doing some taping and video, so maybe it might show up in video sometime. RCTV was one of the crews.

They made us line up the planes on the runway for a photo session, and my Flanker got front row center for the cameras! Here are a few shots I managed to grab before they were dispersed.

Spar
Old 08-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Sparhawk

OK, RCU is having issues with pics, I'll try this again:

Spar

Name:	Hf10258.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	503631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78564.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	503632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96042.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	503633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44847.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	503634  
Old 08-07-2006, 07:01 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Spar, you da man! Great photos and great representation of the Flanker.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sparhawk

Hoorah!!! Another Flanker gets some wind under its wings!

Out to the field this morning, hot, and a sign of winds picking up.... bloody 90 degree crosswind too [>:]. Not impressed, but my buddy Al, who is a smokin pilot said he'd take it up and ring it out. So, I let him. I did a once over of all the linkages, etc, and with the Dean's antenna, performed a good range check and I stopped walking after 100'. It performed flawlessly. I am sold on those antennas. Back to the maiden. I fueled her up with some 15% Cool Power Heli formula that I had, primed the engine, and hit her with the glow power. She sputtered a bit then died. Opened up the carb a wee bit more and spun her up. She caught and held her own, then I set up the high needle. Low was fine as transition was bang on and instantaneous. Time to fly. Tracking on takeoff could have been better, but I saw that Al had the rudder on high rates. It took zero, and I mean zero, trim. CG was dead on, but a bit hard to tell with the winds we had, so it needs flights in calmer days to say so for sure. Fast, but the 12x6 may not be the best prop as it had to be flown in the upper 25% to really move, so I am going to try a 12x8 and see how that does. Set up for approach and greased her in. Gear held up, except I forgot to flat file the same set screw on both mains and they twisted outward. Fixed it at the field with a file. I thought I covered everything, but it goes to show you that you can always forget something!

So, she looks bloody good in the air. Tracks great and is not bad for a propjet. I am glad I went with this scheme, but it's a scheme I wouldn't recommend to anyone due the work involved. The guys were impressed with it though, so I am pretty pleased with her overall. I did have some video, but the camera guy screwed up his camera and deleted the file later in the day ... We will try again later in the week to get a good flight video done. Here are a few pics, of a few pose shots, the Flanker just breaking ground on takeoff, one in the air and a landing pic.

Now go fly something fast!!!

Looks real nice
Old 08-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case anybody is curious as to what happened to mine. I bought the kit around the date I started this thread. Was to give me something to do "between jobs." After a few months i went back to work and had less time to spend on it. Darn thing was about 80% done and now it's sitting in the corner. Then I lost interest in it but at least all you guys are getting something good out of all this,

Later.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Sparhawk

I "borrowed" [8D] these pics from another site, but figured they deserve to be shown here. I am still trying to track down other pics.

Spar

Name:	Xv64472.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	504141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38786.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	504142  
Old 08-08-2006, 05:33 PM
nchrome

Okay guys I think that maybe on my Flanker I'm banking it too steeply and thats why the nose drops. From the looks of the posted photos it is only banked half as much as I did mine on its second maiden (after repairs)[:@] Or do you guys think that I still have a nose heavy problem. I do have an eighteen oz. tank in mine do you think I don't need that much fuel? And dry it still balances out how the plans say with about 1/2 bls of lead in the rear and a 1500 ma battery pack "D" size sanyos in the tail cones.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Sparhawk

nchrome, I am not sure how far you are banking the plane, but as you can see in the second pic, it is banked at close to 80 degrees. There was no sign of the nose dropping in the turns. Perhaps you did not have enough speed on? The wings are swept, so you need to fly this baby, not nurse it around the sky. I ran it up tonight at the field and I am getting a measurement of 12,500 rpms with the APC 12x8 prop and a slightly rich setting to give a visible trail in the sky. I am using a 16oz Great Planes fuel tank, and my battery is a 4 cell AA 2500mah NiMh pack in the port nozzle. Balance is on the front retract screws.

Spar

Name:	Vt57676.jpg
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	504878  
Old 08-09-2006, 10:11 PM
nchrome

I'll try to rebalance at the point that you mentioned and see what happens the next time I fly her. I'll also see if I can get a little more speed out of her. You think that maybe I should go with a 12/6 or even a 12/10 prop? I'm flying with a ST 90 stock muffler of course later I plan on one of those Max headers.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:09 AM
bob27s

Sparhawk,

the rpm/prop you noted is perfect for that setup. 12.5K at launch (slightly rich) is likely around 13,000 peak. I wouldnt change a thing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.