Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
wave waker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

ORIGINAL: DodamissC

Hey Now!!! Yeah, it's expensive. But you guys think 40MPH is fast. I'm gonna get this baby cooking... There has been a change in plans and the HV-Maxx is being sold, and as much brushless power as I can afford is going into the TC31. I'm thinking ATLEAST 18 cells, but 24 is what I want. Plus hey, I wanna do it, and I have the means to do so. So why not?
how heavy will it be with 24 cells?..what u gonna do with ur .32 dynamite?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: h20vt

Questions regarding engine temp. I'm a newbie to engine tuning. I've run about 3 gallons of fuel through my Thundercat. Overall the boat has been extermely reliable. The only problem to speak of has been the rudder which snapped - my issue not the manufacturer.

I'm running Wildcat 35/18 for fuel The boat accelerates without hesitation and continues right on through to top end. I'm concerned about leaning the motor out too much. How will I know other than a lack of power at the top end or hesitation. I'm also concerned about the temperature of the motor. I'm thinking about investing in a digital temp gauge. What temp's should I be looking at?

Thanks for all of your help on the site.

Jim
since i ran 65/18 nitro i'm getting 180-190+ oF, one time my water pick-up was blocked and engine is literally smokin'[:@] went somewhere 300 oF,,i'm using temp.gun beside i got my temp sensor in my radio.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
AtomicFrawg
My Feedback: (8)

Where Can i order a m445 prop at? Also If i can get it sharpend and balanced would be great.

Thanks
Chris
Old 08-02-2006, 10:31 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

just trying to unsubscribe to this thread
Old 08-03-2006, 06:10 AM
h20vt

Thanks - I went out last night and checked. With 35/18 I was at 140 at the end of a run. The needle is a little over 1 1/2 turns out. Water temp was 79 and air 85.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:45 AM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Not sure about weight, I dont really care. The TC31 will handle the weight of a few battery's and a motor. If not, i'll go li-po and get a soft cut-off.

ORIGINAL: wave waker

ORIGINAL: DodamissC

Hey Now!!! Yeah, it's expensive. But you guys think 40MPH is fast. I'm gonna get this baby cooking... There has been a change in plans and the HV-Maxx is being sold, and as much brushless power as I can afford is going into the TC31. I'm thinking ATLEAST 18 cells, but 24 is what I want. Plus hey, I wanna do it, and I have the means to do so. So why not?
how heavy will it be with 24 cells?..what u gonna do with ur .32 dynamite?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:13 PM
AtomicFrawg

Has anyone tried to bore out the carb yet? If so what size and results did you get? Im thinking of doing this tomorrow.

Chris
Old 08-03-2006, 11:41 PM
toyotatruckin

I have modded the .32 in my cat and ran it one good run this windy weekend and it flat gets with it now! We have some good flip video of it that will be posted as soon as we have the time to get it on the site and thats where the ONE run comes from. tore the cowling up and messed up my rudder but thats the fun of it all!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:30 AM
h20vt

Continous tweaking. Increased the height of the prop and leaned to motor out. 445 now works great. Temps are roughly 145 at the end of a run.

Help on Tiger Drive. When the motor is cold, I'm having a difficult time engaging the Tiger Drive. I loosen the glow plug to make it easier to turn over. It catches for a couple of turns and then disengages. It's a long process before I can finally get the engine to start.

I've taken the Tiger Drive apart and greased it. Is there any sort of adjustment to help it stay engaged?

Thanks

Jim
Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
lc newbie

just started this rc boating and i'm clueless about breaking in what to do period about these things can anybody help lc newbie, thanks kevin
Old 08-04-2006, 03:56 PM
lc newbie

just started this rc boating and i'm clueless about breaking in what to do period about these things can anybody help lc newbie, thanks kevin
Old 08-04-2006, 04:02 PM
lc newbie

i would also like to know about getting more speed out of the tc31 and any other nuance thay may have. thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 08:17 PM
brownvhf

H20VT
Time to call horizon and let them know that your Tiger Drive isn't working. Two choices, put a manual start on like I did or wait for the new drive to be sent back to you after you send yours in. Jerry
Old 08-05-2006, 08:48 AM
toyotatruckin

Get it broke in first before you worry about speed during your break-in, speed is NOT an issue and on how to break it in just follow your manual it tells you what to do But if I were you I would pull your motor apart and make sure it is clean inside...
ORIGINAL: lc newbie

i would also like to know about getting more speed out of the tc31 and any other nuance thay may have. thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 02:26 PM
lc newbie

hey twisted, i have started the tc but it seems like it doesn't want to run any suggestions? also when starting and running in water should there not be water coming out of side port? i didn't detect any and thought someone who knows these boat might give me some insight as to what i'm doing wrong or maybe its alright this is part of breakin. any help would be appreciated. thanks newbie
Old 08-05-2006, 05:05 PM
h20vt

ORIGINAL: brownvhf

H20VT
Time to call horizon and let them know that your Tiger Drive isn't working. Two choices, put a manual start on like I did or wait for the new drive to be sent back to you after you send yours in. Jerry

Jerry,

I cleaned the Tigerdrive and used some emery cloth on the shaft so that it will grip. The shaft catches and I'm back in business. Works like a charm.

Jim
Old 08-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Raylon

I had another good week of running with my TC31. I put the M445 on and it jsut won't rev up unless it hits a wake and catches air and then since it has no resistance it revs up and then when it hits the water again its so revved up that it will rev up then. I ran round in wavy conditions and it goes fast, too fast for the conditions I was in. It caught a good wave, did a nose dive and then slammed on its lid. Thought it was find until I noticed that the radio box was knocked loose. Glued it back on and I was out running again. With the stock prop though. I have been worrying about my engine temps lately, because the water I'm running the boat in is about 90 oF! Not to mention the air temp of 100oF, and heat index of 110! Seems like a lot of the Midwest and NE have been gettin killed with HOT weather lately. But, I can touch my motor as soon as I get it out of the water and it just feels hot, but not liek its scolding. I could hold my hand on the motor if I wanted to, but I'd rather not get my fingers that hot. Do the small temp guns work? I am thinking of getting one.

lc newbie: Did you check your carb settings? It says factory pre-set but it's likely to be off. Read the instructions and set them to waht they say. I ran mine REAALLY rich the first time because I wanted to break it in well, and it only went about 10 MPH at max, if that. I could barely see this little stream of water coming down the side of the boat. I ran it this way for two tanks, form there I leaned it out a little at a time. I have about 1 1/2 gallons ran thorugh it now.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:52 PM
brownvhf

Jim Glad it worked for you as there is probably 6 or 6 of us that had to get them repaired. I put a manual starter on mine and not sure if I'll put the tiger drive back on or not. Horizon replaced two of them for me.
Zelato I am trying a 3 blade X440 Octura prop and top speed it the same as the M445. It has a little more pickup and is stronger coming out of a turn than the M445. Have a couple more too try but havn't taken the time to sharpen and balance them yet.
Ic newbie the manual that comes with the TC31 is a excellent reference book as it is the way myself and most of the others here on the forum broke there TC31's in. A lot of good helpful information in previous posts on this boat which I think is a pretty good boat.
1. Make sure you grease the flex cable as it will be dry from horizon.
2. Pickup a Trinty or rc car exaust connector, as the one you have with the boat is only good for a couple of runs.
3. While running the boat if someone should ask why its smoking so badly just tell them Mosiquito control in action.
Have fun and most of the people on this forum are very helpful if you should run into a problem. Jerry
Old 08-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Raylon

ORIGINAL: brownvhf

2. Pickup a Trinty or rc car exaust connector, as the one you have with the boat is only good for a couple of runs.
Never heard this recommendation before. What's the purpose of this? I didn't know that the connector did anything other than...connect.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:12 PM
AtomicFrawg

The connector hes talking about is the thing that connects the header to the pipe. He's right the stock piece is junk.

Now for the fun part.
James at Twisted Liquid racing Hooked me up with 225 sharpend polished balanced prop. WoW this boat ran like a scalded monkey. Also Cut down the rudder and waxed the bottom of the haul. All our jaws dropped when this boat hit the water. The last run of the day she got air born and took a digger of 3 ft under .
Drying her out and getting ready for tommorw.

Chris
Old 08-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Raylon

What will a different connector do? Tighter fit I guess?

I need to learn how to balance and sharpen, I bet the boat is lots better with a better prop.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:19 PM
toyotatruckin

check to make sure there is no blockage in your water system (blow through it) there should be water comming out, very important! check your carb settings I started out 2 1/2 on both then work your low-end first till you can get to idle right then start adjusting your top end needle, once your low needle is set where it needs to be you shouldnt have to mess with it, youll always be adjusting top end for the best run. Hint on the needle settings first thing youll want to do is crank that sucker way in but dont, about 1/8 of a turn at a time, then run it a lap or to untill you get it dialed in where it runs best if its to lean it will cut out on you to rich and it wont sound smooth listen to how it runs forget the smoke and temp tuning just use your ear you can hear when it is running right just something youll have to figure out with a little time! Why not the smoke, in the water you can not see it to tune it why not a temp gun, its a water cooled head its got a cooling system when on the move not at idle or stop when your checking it so it not a very accurate way to tune eather. Hope this helps you out this is my way not the only way. others will help you out with other ways just pick the way that works best for you and enjoy your boat!
ORIGINAL: lc newbie

hey twisted, i have started the tc but it seems like it doesn't want to run any suggestions? also when starting and running in water should there not be water coming out of side port? i didn't detect any and thought someone who knows these boat might give me some insight as to what i'm doing wrong or maybe its alright this is part of breakin. any help would be appreciated. thanks newbie
Old 08-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind that the M-445 prop may not be THE prop to have as when we were testing it was the best prop performance-wise that I had in my box. Others might find a better one. Don't forget to try adjusting the strut depth also when trying larger or smaller. What props were tried I don't know as my son and the others were doing most of the testing.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Raylon

Forgot about that. But Ron, does it make sense that my boat will only rev the M445 up when it gets out of the water? Or is this just me imagining things.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:04 PM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

You know, I don't really even remember what props rons son and I where using. He kept on handing me props and they kept on sucking, I really was'nt really paying attention to what the prop was cause the day was running short. I finally came across the M445 and as soon as I put it in the water it took right off and pulled a 37MPH pass with no tuning. I was impressed. I had, and still don't have problems getting the prop to speed and my fastest GPS tag is 39.2. Ron had no use for the prop, so he let me take it off his hands [sm=sunsmiley.gif]

I wanted to try bigger props as the M445 that I use gets right up there and screams.

Sounds like the M440 3 Blade is the prop to have, although this does not even apply to me because next time my TC31 gets into the water it will be powered by the fastest feiago XL motor they make and a barracuda 125 ESC. I'm gonna be pi$$ed if the brushless setup does'nt work right........ But I know for the right amount of money it has to work right. if I don't get the feiago then I'll get something more powerful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.