Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

TEMP.OF ENGINE??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
BJBaxter22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEMP.OF ENGINE??

my engine is running now at about 235deg.F but there isnt a trail of blue smoke during high speed runs. in a mag. I have it says to be between 230-250, yet on other forums it says 283? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Popper252

Default RE: TEMP.OF ENGINE??

It shouldn't get any hotter than 280-290. If it does you run the risk of damaging it.

Are you sure you don't see any smoke? It's running at a pretty good temperature. You could even lean it out a bit more because you have some room to play with.
Hmm maybe you just don't have your smoke seeing glasses on? Put those on and let us know how it works for ya.

Here's a suggestion, by the way you worded the question you see smoke at lower speeds but not during a high speed run?
If that's the case you could probably lean out your low speed needle and richen the high speed needle a little bit. You may want to wait for someone else to reply though because I'm not all that sure about that.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:42 PM
futabaed

I am constantly running about 240deg and have a very light trail of smoke.
The way I check to see if I'm getting any smoke is to hold the truck or put it on a stand and then gas it.
Sometimes its hard to see a trail of smoke when the truck is moving.
Your temp seems like its about rite[sm=thumbup.gif] so if you don't see any smoke when you hold & gas it, richen it just a hair.

Good luck with it & keep us informed on the results.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:52 PM
jguitarsandcars

That's all fine and good...I'm still having a hard time gettin my temp below 290 on either vehicle even when I'm so rich I see a solid trail of smoke, and when I am done running, I can see all kinds of liquid on the side of the body and have fuel run out of the exhaust pipe when I set it down or tip it up on it's side...I thought tearing the engine down and sealing it would help that, but It just became awefully sluggish after that...I'm changing it over to the two needle carb, and I know my replacement clutch spring wasn't right 'cause it never ran right after that. Also, I'm gonna tear it down again and see if maybe I didn't get some silicone blocking something, but now I await the carb and a new head gasket, so we'll see...
Old 08-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Team Knowitall

nevermind, everybody answered before I posted.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Erik2424

can anyone tell me when idle temp is 260 and high end is 290-300 if this is normal........cause i cant get the temp to go any lower and i dont want to burn up the engine. i tryed richening it till i was super rich on a low idle but no luck........anyone know what im doing wrong?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:04 PM
futabaed

Look for air leaks around the head of the engine & exhaust,this is the most common cause of overheating when a engines tuned properly.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 PM
cody11785

i've just about read every thread on here about tuning, but i cant get mine right. it runs and performs good, but i cant get it to idle and not move, it always wants to take off. then the serve is in the neutral position, the opening in the carb is more than 1 mm, so i know thats what needs to be changed, but when i brake and then idle, the carb is about 1 mm open, so i dont know how to adjust the carb anymore cause anymore closing of the idle needle the car shuts off when the brakes are applied. any suggestions would be great. thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Erik2424

well i noticed that when i first got the car it had a small head leak..........so i tightened the head bolts.........but if its still leaking, how does it cause it to overheat?........cause i think that might be the problem .......

also i dont know if its tuned right either......i have to give it more throtle to start it....then it will idle........
Old 08-03-2006, 01:27 PM
jguitarsandcars

erik, if it stalls when when you drop the idle back down after starting it, it could be tuning, or it could be either the plug. As for a leaky head 'causing it to run hot, that would be because you're adding un-wanted air into the air fuel mixture (air you can't control) which makes it run too lean to compensate for...As the other posts say about tuning, Lean=hot, and Rich=cool....
Old 08-03-2006, 03:08 PM
martinjhndvs

How are you guys checking the temp of the engine.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:55 PM
bluecaka69

most people use temp guns
Old 08-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Erik2424

ok i see........but i only need to hold the throtle open a bit to start it then it idles fine, well exept for overheating..........but i have richend it alot before and got noware.........ive richend the fuel/air needle and the high-end needle, and it still kept getting up to 290-300....... so im begging to think i have a head leak...

i use a temp gage.....
Old 08-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Cody might sound like your clutch spring is broken.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Nexous

well i test mine with a laser temp gun. aim it just beside the glow plug in the engine heatsink.
the normal temp here in kamloops bc is very hot in the summer and super DRY! about 104 on a good cool day.
and my engine does not run above 190. and she is running good.
i have had it upward of 250 but it is usless for my onroad. too fast for anything around.
so i tone her down and richen her up. got awsome (off the line)
it all really depends on many things that will make your engine run good.
i cant wait till the winter. it gets around -30 here easy. dont know what it will run like then.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 PM
BJBaxter22

So ive been using a temp. gauge for awile, but I got the 235deg. from the outside of the cooling head. Where exactly am I supposed to check for temp?(glowplug, next to glowplug, cooling head,...?) Thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 09:19 PM
jguitarsandcars

The Traxxas Manual said don't let it go over 280 degrees (maybe it was 275), and to take the temp at the glow plug after a WOT run...that's what I do, I've got some little black gun that's about half the size of my finger, so I run the car WOT, hard brake right at me, then I shoot the gun at the glow plug about 4-5 inches away...is that what I've been doing wrong all this time? 'cause every time I think I've got the thing running good, the temp's reading about 305-325, I lean it out and neither vehicle run's well after that...Lot's of stalling and flooding...I'm doing 1/8 of a turn or about 45 degree's at a time...
Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 PM
cody11785

thanks chubbysdad but i finally got it running right tonite, but i didnt break the clutch spring. i do have a few Q's for u though. i've run no more than 5 tanks of fuel through the buggy (tornado xp), and i havent been doing any overly excessive driving, but i keep breaking suspension parts (steering arms and tonite front a arms) what aluminum up grades should i order to make the front end bulletproof? i know the more expensive buggys out there have all aluminum everything up front and in back, but should i just order the a arms, steering arms, and c arms?

ps, i ordered the one speed gear set from you tuesday, how long does it usually take to ship orders? thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Nexous

Leaning out your mixture will increase heat. richening will reduce.

(just a little side note)
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Erik2424

ok guys thanx for the help.......if thers anymore suggestons keep posting them pls....
Old 08-04-2006, 11:50 AM
cody11785

chubbysdad, nevermind about the shipping question, it was posted in the customer care section.