Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Wing to Fuse Attach Dowel HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Wing to Fuse Attach Dowel HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 10:23 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wing to Fuse Attach Dowel HELP

I have a scratch built plane. Fuse former is not drilled, but wing is. Trying to line up dowels for accuracte drilling. Have tried putting dowels in wing, painting them with magic marker, and trying to get a mark on fuse former. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:40 PM
upnflyin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wing to Fuse Attach Dowel HELP

I am guessing your dowels are not glued in yet. Just sharpen another set to a real nice point and make a dent impression in your former for alignment. Good luck
upnflyin
Old 08-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If this is a top mounted wing, drill the hole in the bulkhead slightly lower than you think it needs to be. Then, by trial and error, slowly enlarge the hole upward until the wing slips in. The open area in the hole below will not hurt anything and will aid in mounting the wing later as the wing can be at slight angle when you insert the dowels. If a lower wing, drill the first hole slightly higher than you think it should be and do the same trial and error enlarging the hole downward until things fit.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:31 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto to what Rodney said.

Unless...

Is the fuse Finished, or is the nose area still open?

If it is open you can drill oversized holes for the dowels to do through, and then glue wooden "Donuts" to the forward side of the Fuse Former
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14011.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	503343  
Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 AM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got , guys. It fits just right. I used my drill motor to put a point on 2 dowels, and then painted them with a black magic marker. I first covered the former with some yellow masking tape, then fit the wing. The dowels marked the former perfectly. i did have to go to Lowe's and get a 90* drill attachment ( really, just an excuse to go there ). But all is well. Thank You everyone.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:12 PM
upnflyin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of using magic marker use what some finish carpenters use. A womans lip stick will transfer right over. Use it to trans. door strikers etc. Cheap stuff too. Just buy it where they don't know you or will ever see you again. Or hit up the other half.