Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

denatured alcohol

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default denatured alcohol

is there any reason that I cannot "wash" off my planes and heli with a spray of denatured alcohol? It really works well!!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:23 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: denatured alcohol

is there any reason that I cannot "wash" off my planes and heli with a spray of denatured alcohol? It really works well!!

Nope... I use a mix denatured and simple green myself... used it for YEARS... most of those planes are still flying after ten or more years.

John
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Dsegal

The flammability warnings on the can make me nervous. Why not just get some 90% isopropyl alcohol from the drugstore? It is cheap and also works good for thinnng epoxy.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:47 PM
loughbd
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Denatured alcohol is just ethanol cut with some methanol so it's poisonous and can't be ingested. It's no more flammable that isopropal alcohol or, for that matter, the fuel we use which is mostly methanol.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been useing 1/4 denatured alcohol for years mixed with windex.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:21 AM
RaceCity

I just use windex, and skip the chemistry class altogether.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:27 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I just use Simple Green, gives the car a nice fragrance on the drive home.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:32 AM
RaceCity

Hey Chuck...Dollar General sells some stuff that's pretty popular around here. It's blue like windshield washer fluid, comes in a 32oz spray bottle and sells for about $1.49. Seems to take off everything except the monokote. Can't think of the name right now, but it's sorta generic sounding.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:35 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I'll take a look next time I stroll through $ general. I've still got a good supply of SG, BJ's sells a bulk pack that's got 2 spray bottles and something like a half gallon refill.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Dsegal

From the label on my can of denatured alcohol:

"Fuel for alcohol burning appliances" and "Flammable liquid". I wouldn't spray glow engine fuel on the surface of my plane either and think it was safe.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Dsegal

"Fuel for alcohol burning appliances" and "Flammable liquid". I wouldn't spray glow engine fuel on the surface of my plane either and think it was safe.
understandable, I would only do it if the engine was totally cooled and powered off. I was more concerned if the alcohol would deteriorate or discolor the coverings or penetrate the wood in a negative way.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

quote:

What do you think you engine is doing when you fly??
Old 08-11-2006, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Kimhoff

quote:

What do you think you engine is doing when you fly??
i think the concern was for a fire breaking out when sprayed all over the plane...
Old 08-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

If well diluted in water it would be hard to ignite, if even flammable. But would still help to cut the oil.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
jessiej

Obviously one should observe similar precautions with alcohol as with any other flamible solvent such as paint thinner, laquer thinner, MEK, acetone, etc. In the presence of a modicum of common sense use of denatured alcohol poses little undue risk.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:40 PM
loughbd
Banned

When was the last time you saw glow fuel catch fire when squirted on a hot engine. Maybe they should outlaw 151 proof rum as it's 75% ethyl alcohol and burns quite readily. About the same percentage of alcohol as Fox fuel with 25% oil. The chance of any readily available alcohol catching fire when used as a cleaner is about zip. Even 100% pure alcohol. I use pure methanol as a cleaner all the time. I clean my airplanes with it about once a month. It does a better job that Formula 409 which is what I usually use. I also use it to clean engines. I have squirted it on a hot engine more than once with no adverse results.

People find danger where it seldom exists. That's what keeps the EPA going.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:25 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I use denatured alcohol all the time, at the field, in the shop, no problems. It evaporates rather quickly. I keep a spray bottle in the shop and use it as a hand cleaner, or spray it on a rag, use it to thin or clean up epoxy. I wouldn't recommend smoking while using it, and if you soak a rag, spread it out to allow the alcohol to evaporate when done, but it's a lot safer than gasoline.
I buy the cheap version of "orange cleaner" or Windex at the dollar store and cut it 1:1 with denatured alcohol to use as a plane cleaner, no problem with any painted finishes, fabric or plastic covering.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:31 AM
loughbd
Banned

Constant bearing and decreasing range??? I'd turn and very soon. Either that, or jump overboard.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:45 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

---------------

Your glow two-stroke engine throws unburnt methanol all over your model while running. One of the reasons that these engines are on the EPA's s**t list is because two-strokes are sloppy and inefficient.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:08 PM
jessiej

The most dangerous family of flammables seems to bear names like "Vodka". Bourbon", Gin", "Tequila", and the like. They burn as readily as denatured alcohol, but seem to be at the root of many more accidents.

jess
Old 08-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Ernie Misner

ORIGINAL: khodges
I use denatured alcohol all the time, at the field, in the shop, no problems. It evaporates rather quickly. I keep a spray bottle in the shop and use it as a hand cleaner, or spray it on a rag, use it to thin or clean up epoxy. I wouldn't recommend smoking while using it, and if you soak a rag, spread it out to allow the alcohol to evaporate when done, but it's a lot safer than gasoline.
I buy the cheap version of "orange cleaner" or Windex at the dollar store and cut it 1:1 with denatured alcohol to use as a plane cleaner, no problem with any painted finishes, fabric or plastic covering.
The idea of using it all the time kind of bothers me from the "breathing it" standpoint. Also using it for hand cleaner means that some of it is getting into your system through the skin. These things are hard on the liver. Maybe I just worry too much!

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 08-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Iflyglow

Again, denatured alocohol mixed with windex works awesome at cleaning glow fuel residue off of a plane. What do you think is the major ingredient in windsheild washer fluid is (menthanol). Is that not the same as the major ingredient in our fuel.
Maybe some of you should take a chemistry class once in a while.
You remove ca from covering with acetone, that is a hell of alot tougher chemical than alocohol, and it does not hurt the covering.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Iflyglow

Denatured alcohol starts out as ethanol alcohol, but denatured to keep people from drinking it.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:46 PM
loughbd
Banned

What is "menthanol"? For that matter what is "ounce in awhile"? Looks like someone else should take chemistry ONCE in awhile and maybe english too. Hmmmmm?

My window washing fluid has no flammable warning nor poison warning on the label like methanol would have. Also It doesn't burn in the slightest. I just tried it.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:23 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

Denatured alcohol starts out as ethanol alcohol, but denatured to keep people from drinking it.
One has to wonder if it is possible to but the "nature" back into the denatured alky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.