Community
Search
Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Off Subject! Any Military/ex-Military here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 12:50 AM
509thBoomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Off Subject! Any Military/ex-Military here?

I am a KC-135 R/T Instructor Boom Operator Stationed with the Weapons Sq at Fairchild. Been in 15 years, can't think of a better job anyone could have. Where else can I get paid to lay on my stomach at 25,000 ft running 315 KIAS and pass gas. What a life!

Old 07-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Ed Toner

Boomer - That's a GREAT way to look at lt!

Happy Independence Day.

Lycklig självständighetdag

Jour d'Indépendance Heureux

[إيندبندنس دي] سعيدة

幸ã›ãªç‹¬ç«‹è¨˜å¿µæ—¥

행복한 ë…립 기ë…ì¼

愉快的独立日

СчаÑтливый Деньа незавиÑимоÑти

Glücklicher Unabhängigkeit-Tag

Giorno Indipendenza Felice Di

Dia De Independência Feliz

Lá Neamhspleáchais Sona Daoibh

Ευτυχής ημÎ*Ïα ανεξαÏτησίας
Old 07-04-2005, 02:42 PM
moxjett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice planes 509thBoomer. What model is the bigger F-16?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:45 PM
509thBoomer

Its the new Cermark F-16, great prop jet and super fast with the .91 in the nose
Old 07-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Gentlemen and Ladies (if any here),
1973 - 1998 U.S. Army / USAR. Retired First Sergeant, 95B/38A I spent my time in FayetNam, NC., stayed away from the Red Zone, (at least no one there looks like me) LOL! My oldest son is currently flying, (playing with) F-16's in the USAF. My youngest son wants to go in the USAF and be a Meteorologist, (Hope he isn't assigned to the Antartic to study Polar Bear Hair loss due to global warming!). I belong to my local VFW Post 6654, I collect real Military Vehicles, (I gave Toby Keith and his band a ride in my 1943 White U.S. Army M3A1 Scout Car) I'm a Colonel in the CAF, ( I tell the other Colonels to call me TOP as I really don't like portraying something I did not earn) I fly real aircraft when I can, I'm addicted to R/C Warbirds, I like guns, I drink beer or any other alcoholic beverage available,(preferrably Jeremiah Weed Bourbon Liquor) I'm a song writer, singer, I fly Old Glory in front of my home 24/7, there's a 105mm Howitzer in my back yard, I don't give a damn about being politically correct, I shoot from the hip, and I'll come out of my military retirement to kick any SOB's kiester if my Uncle Sam Calls me back. I was in Iraq in 1991 for Desert Storm attached to the 1st Armored Division, and I hearded Curds afterwards during Operation Provide Comfort. Comfort? Who makes up these names anyway? Thanks to all of you for your service to our great country and being a part of a brotherhood that no one but a Veteran can understand or belong. Hoorahhh!

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak

Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maj. USAFR (ret) formerly

507 CLSS/LGX

ROTC trained as an aero engineer. Started 4 years of AD in the C/KC-135/Presidential Fleet engineering office in the Depot at Tinker AFB. When the four years was up, walked out the door on Friday and Tuesday a week later I sat back down at the same desk as a GS-11. But stayed in the Reserves in case I didn't like civilian life.

Oddest point of my career is that as a reservist I did ABDR (Aircraft Battle Damage Repair). Helped write the MIL spec and the master TO (1-1-39). As a civilian I had the project to write/edit the ABDR manual for the KC-135. As a Reservist I was the first guy to use the book. If I didn't like what was in it I only had my self to blame.

Retired out of the reserves in 1998 with 21 years and 21 days.

I miss my friends in my reserve family. Sadly the CLSS community, a cold war special, is being totally disbanded this summer.

Tom
Old 09-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Grampaw

Hey WVARN! Ever spend any time over the hills of Korea, especially late 50 and all of 51? I was one of those Jarheads yelling for Close Air Support when things got tight. The guys in those old bent winged birds never let us down. More than once we watched as 4 old Corsairs worked over a target that was giving us some hell. We'd cheer when they'd arrive overhead and began to orbit, then once we marked the target with a Willy Peter round one would drop out and come down firing all the way. Then the second Corsair would nose over and come down right behind him starting to fire just about the time the first bird raised its nose to climb out. Then the third and fourth birds would repeat that performance. It went that way till the target was destroyed or they were out of ammo and it was as much precision flying as seen at any airshow, just a lot more deadly. Down and diry and like clockwork. We hated to call for an Air Strike and get Jets that were too fast to do the job. Air Force Mustangs just didn't have it in those days either. Navy pilots were fair, but we preferred our own. Never met one of "ours" in person, but a lot of us grunts are forever grateful for you guys and those old birds. Semper Fi guys! You are the greatest.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:05 PM
wvarn1957
My Feedback: (3)

Grampaw,

Yes, I was there during the 50-51 time frame. Flew quite a few sorties over the hills. I flew off the Fillipene Sea which was stationed about 25 miles off the southwest coast. I know you grunts had it tough down there, so we did out best to take some heat off you. Semper Fi

Will
Old 11-16-2005, 11:26 AM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

19 years USAF here, ATCALS Maintenance technician (AKA WEATHER, NAVAIDS, RADIO and RADAR systems maintenance that supports Air Traffic Control).

MacDill AFB, FL 1987-1998
Osan AB, ROK 1998-1999
Eglin AFB, FL 1999-2002
Hill AFB, UT 2002-Present

Desert Shield/Desert Storm 24 Dec 1990-31 Aug 1991 (4401st AIRPS augmentee, Riyahd).

BASH pilot for 2 years while stationed at MacDill.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
doucette

Hi all, retired (22 yrs active duty) US Coast Guard here. Spent a good part of my career on white boats with red stripes on the front on the coast of Washington, Oregon and California. Retired in 2000, and living in Vancouver, Washington. Son is a Marine on Okinawa.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64272.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	355825  
Old 11-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Ed Toner

Will,

Small world. I was a Cadet aboard a merchant ship in Pusan offloading ammo and barbed wire when a howitzer or heavy mortar found the range and was lobbing shells on the dock, getting closer.

I figured we're going to get hit real soon unless somebody takes it out. Then I heard an angry buzz in the sky, and a Corsair came in low, from the sea. A few passes over the hill, lots of noise, and the shelling stopped. The Corsair hung around a while, then wagged it's wengs and went back to sea.

The Korean's never stopped unloading. They had a triangular bamboo rack they dragged behind them which was strapped to their foreheads, loaded with a huge amount of freight.

I'd like to think our cargo did some good. I was a 20 year old 3rd classman from USMMA.

"Give us the goods, and we'll deliver!" was our motto.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:56 AM
mineburg

Army, 257th trans co out of Vegas. Going to Iraq, prob jan or feb, Hope I can bring some rc stuff.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:28 AM
rn68123

Gotta join in. No place I would rather be than with the vets. Unless it was back on AD.
Enlisted USAF Friday the 13th, 1953. (not superstitious, just careful)
Entered aviation cadet mill, PA-18, T-6, T-28, B-25, graduated 2/7/55. Then B-26 advanced.
Then a year in Korea, back in the T-6! (Mosquitos)
1956-62. 319th FIS, Bunker Hill AFB, F-94C, F-89J, F-106 (all-time sweetheart).
62-65 40th FIS, Yokota, F-102
65-67 40th TFS, 33rd TFW, Eglin AFB, F-4C, D & E
June, 67, May 68 555th TFS, 8th TFW, Ubon, Thailand (and a short stint as a telephone commando in Saigon)
June 68-June 30, 1973 431st TFS, George AFB, F-4 instructor.
Thence, 1973-82, Airport Bum. Managed two small FBOs, instructor, gas pumper, gofer.
1982-1996 Learjet flight insturctor, FlightSafety Learjet center, Wichita and all over the world.
1996-present. Learjet pilot, LR-60.
Currently turning foam into a mass of epoxy.
God bless the countless knucklebusters who furnished me good airplanes. And God bless all the rest of you guys our there who gave your time and talent for our country especially those deployed in harms way. I am proud to be among you, and if God could make me 18 again, I would be back at the main gate first thing in the morning.
Merry Christmas and a blessed holiday to you all
Old 12-16-2005, 06:13 PM
bdavison

Former USAF.

Spent most of my time sweating to death in Dyess AFB in the middle of nowhere keeping that piece of junk B-1B bomber in one piece. Typical day.

Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 6am. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane. Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 9:30am. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane. Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 10:30am. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane. Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 11:30am. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane. Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 12:30pm. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane.Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 1:30pm. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane.Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 2:30pm. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane.Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 3:30am. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane.Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 4:30pm. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane.Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 5:30am. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane.Listen to 4 engines on full AB's crackling at 6:30pm. Listen to B1B fly racetrack pattern and then land, fix broken airplane. Go home. Go to sleep
That plane couldnt make one lap around the base without some piece of avionics crappin out. It looks cool, but its a piece of junk.

I wanted F-16's, but I got B1B's and a handful of C-130's and KC-135's.

The funnest thing I got to do was basic training. BORING.

Did manage to get my hands on a F111 and a F117, that was about the highlights.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:45 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

bdavison,

Look at it this way. You got really good at fixing those F101 engines. How come you're not working at GE?

Don
Old 12-18-2005, 12:46 PM
JumpSeat

Hello. x-USAF SAC March AFB, now living in Houston. My job was Security at the Alert Facility... lots of great memories... My handle "JumpSeat" because if I wasn't working I was flying with reserves and the 119's and other aircraft... Now I'm into stock market and building C-130 H 132... David...
Old 12-23-2005, 05:24 PM
bdavison

Oh no.....the engine's ran fine....it was those lousy avionics made by a certain unnamed manufacturer that gave us fits. Average service life about 20 min.
Kinda like the brakes on the C-130 Step 1 - Land airplane Step 2 - Replace brakes.

And just because I hate it when they tell you that the B1B is a non-supersonic bomber...here's a little proof otherwise.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51706.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	374696  
Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello all,

Name is Bob. I've spent 27 years in USN and USNR. First 8 years, I was a spook. Then the last 20, I was an Acoustics operator on P-3 Orions with 2500 hours. I see that XB-70 is also with Orions. We used to call them "The Navy's Answer To The Starship Enterprise".

Had a lot of fun, tracked a lot of Soviet subs. I'd like to think that we were pretty good. Forced to retire because of "Up & Out".

You can still see my fingernail marks on the doorframes in my old hangar... Mostly out of VP-92 at NAS South Weymouth (aka "South Weymouth Prep", if you listen closely to the movie 'Hunt for Red October').

Bob
Old 06-23-2006, 08:39 PM
sircrashalotut

Four years active duty (C Co 2-8 Cav, 1st Cav) M1A2 Tank Gunner. Seven years Army Reserve Finance, yea I know how does one go from a tanker to finance! Spent 15 months hoping around Iraq/Kuwait - LSA Anaconda (Balad), LSA Ader (Tallil), the Green Zone (Baghdad), and Camp Doha (Kuwait). I recently crossed over to the blue, and do my UTA's at McChord AFB.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

I didn't serve in the military but I would like to thank each and everyone one of you who did. You all are proof that freedom is not free and your service to our country is appreciated. Again thank you all.

John
Old 07-29-2006, 07:59 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, John

Bob
Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 PM
FreakNastyAerobatics

No body has posted here for a while, but I'm going to anyway!!

USAF, 20 years, 4 months, 11 days

Lackland AFB, Basic training
Lowry AFB, CO - Tech School for Avionic Sensors
McClellan AFB, CA - F-111F Flight Test
Nellis AFB, NV - F-117 Avionics (Classified back then)
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC - F-4E then transitioned to F-15E's
Thum Rate Oman - Operation Desert Shield
AlKars Saudi - Operation Desert Storm, Southern Watch
AF Plant 42, Palmdale CA - Skunk Works F-117 Flight Test
Retired Oct 2002 and moved back to Goldsboro NC just south of SJAFB.

Now I'm the Director of Information Technology for the largest not-for-profit home health and hospice in NC. I loved every minute of my military career and happily I found something to follow up with that I can feel just as good about.. One can't ask for more from life than that!!

Thanks to all for your service...
Old 08-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: Rubbernecker

I didn't serve in the military but I would like to thank each and everyone one of you who did. You all are proof that freedom is not free and your service to our country is appreciated. Again thank you all.

John
Thanks, John...

Most vets simply would like a "thank you" for the job they did... Your post is most appreciated.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
gillesfireagle

Mustang 33 AD + 10 DoD, retired O-6, MOS 2126.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:45 PM
naval flight officer

Ok I'll post too.
3 years active Army:
Basic-Ft. Sill Ok.
AIT-Ft. Bliss Tx
Duty St.-Schofield Bks Hi.

Almost 3 years now in the Navy
OCS-Pensacola NAS Fl
Primary-Pensacola NAS VT-10
Advanced-562nd Randolf AFB
FRS-Jacksonville NAS VP-30
Duty St. NAS Brunswick Me

NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER

Any body know where you can get a kit of a P-3 I would love to build and fly one someday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.