Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Chat Room on RCU

Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

Chat Room on RCU

Old 01-05-2003, 09:23 PM
propbraker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chat Room on RCU

dark
I think RCU needs to put in a chat room gallery so
we can talk to each other and maybe a buddy instant
messenger too.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chat Room on RCU

Chat rooms have been discussed here in the past, so I'll let you search those posts out.

RCU does have a private instant message feature. Look at the bottom of anyones post to see the PM button... Private Message. It works much like ICQ or AIM. You may also click on the "Buddy" button to add that person to your list of PM contacts. All of which can be seen by clicking the "MyRCU" link at the top of every page. Enjoy.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:52 AM
SuperStick

Default Chat Room on RCU

I agree a chat room would be a great addition to this site.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:15 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Default Chat Room on RCU

I'm sure Marc has his reasons for not having one.
Also, every time the subject comes up, you get a dozen people, who wouldn't use it,
who come in and tell you why it'd be a bad thing. How it would affect them, I dunno,
but they like to make sure they speak up and say "don't do it, Marc"

I'd love the idea of a large, realtime chat... and I feel positive that if one were added,
it would be very popular indeed... as chatrooms always are, "when tied to great websites".
I'm sure also, among other things, that it would be a moderation nightmare, and that
may be a very valid reason why we don't have one here at RCU.

There are a couple of IRC chats that I know of... but they aren't backed by huge
websites, so you end up with very few people, most of the time.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:32 AM
SuperStick

Default Chat Room on RCU

Im fairly new to rcu and dont know much about the community here but so far its been great, imo there would be enough senior members that could moderate the rooms, but that could be a hasslle also. But i still think it would be a great addition if used properly.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:21 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chat Room on RCU

Moderation nightmare is the main reason. The masses play nice but you always get a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest. I've seen this too many times. Also in chat people can get vulgar, obscene, rude and if not moderater many people might get offended quickly and associate trash talk with RCU...not something I want.

If you put your AIM or ICQ number in your profile a little icon will come up next to each of your posts...any member can click it and talk to you via that messenger. It will even highlight when a member is online! Try it!
Old 01-20-2003, 03:24 AM
hardlanding7

Default Chat Room on RCU

Originally posted by RCadmin
Moderation nightmare is the main reason. The masses play nice but you always get a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest. I've seen this too many times. Also in chat people can get vulgar, obscene, rude and if not moderater many people might get offended quickly and associate trash talk with RCU...not something I want.

If you put your AIM or ICQ number in your profile a little icon will come up next to each of your posts...any member can click it and talk to you via that messenger. It will even highlight when a member is online! Try it!
ok, good reasons, but these can be solved. Number one, have a block offensive person thing. So that if someone gets offensive, a mod can just block them or kick them out. Maybe have times that people can go to that chat room, that way there will always be a mod available. I KNOW there is at least one mod on this site at almost all times.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:49 AM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Chat. . for 5000 people. . YUCK

good points, Marc. . I heartily agree. . it's bad enough that the PM allows a sort of pseudo-harangue to go on.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:40 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Default Chat Room on RCU

seeing is how you are mainly concerned with how to prtect people and rcu reputation, how abuot you do some scheduled trial chat. I dont know whats involved with setting one up so forgive me if its beyond your means. How about like a sticky in all the forums saying something like "r/c car chat fridays at 7pm-8pm east" "r/c airplane/helicopter chat fridays at 8-9pm east' and see how it goes? if it goes well maybe you can set up 4 hours a day to have chat sessions and could even designate some senior members as chat room monitors .....my dad set up and runs an irc chat for old folks ....ill ask him how he deals with it all
Old 02-18-2003, 07:52 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Default Chat Room on RCU

I agree with Marc, not that it counts. If you want to chat why not set this up or something like it

http://www.bravenet.com/samples/chat.php

and invite people to go on over?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Kris^
Banned

Default Oh PUHLEASE

Look. .we do NOT need ANOTHER chat room. . . .

There are chat rooms al over IRC dedicated to everything from discrete item supporters (Such as radio and engine manufacturers) to different facets of the hobby (Helos, planes, IMAC, trucks and cars, etc.) to jsut flying and playing with RC.

The day RCU starts a "Chat' room, is the day RCU starts down the SAME path as RCOnline. . which ultimately folded under the weight of it's own problems, a lot of which were associated with Chat rooms.

I think the RCU administration and moderators are VERY wise NOT to open this Pandora's box of problems, and stick to strictly bulletin-board type postings. Sooner or later, no matter what you do, you will wind up with some people in the Chat that need to be banned from it, because of their BAD behaviour. . then they complain, and ***** and start talking to their friends. . .and NO MATTER what you do it will be a problem.

Worst part about it. . . . . the segment of the RC hobby that will cause the most problems is the very segment we need to encourage the most. . those below 20 years of age. If we stick to a strict bulletin-board type of postings, then not only will the younger members learn things, they will develop age-bridging social skills that will do a lot to help them later on.

This is one minefield that RCU has wisely avoided. I hope it continues to do so.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:01 AM
mvigod
Banned

Default Chat Room on RCU

Kris,

Your concerns are ours...this is why after so many requests we have still held off on doing such a chat room. The bad can outweight the good.

Under everyones posts though is an ICQ or AIM icon which shows if they are online. All a user needs to do is enter their AIM or ICQ number in their user profile (MyRCU) and these icons show o their posts. It shows if they are online or not and can be clicked to launch messaging to that user...
Old 02-19-2003, 03:17 AM
mvigod
Banned

Default Chat Room on RCU

Kris,

Your concerns are ours...this is why after so many requests we have still held off on doing such a chat room. The bad can outweight the good.

Under everyones posts though is an ICQ or AIM icon which shows if they are online. All a user needs to do is enter their AIM or ICQ number in their user profile (MyRCU) and these icons show o their posts. It shows if they are online or not and can be clicked to launch messaging to that user...
Old 02-19-2003, 03:34 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Chat Room on RCU

Can you ass support for MSN, AOL, and Yahoo messagers?

Originally posted by RCadmin

Old 02-19-2003, 06:08 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Default Chat Room on RCU

If you had a chat room, all of the info on it would not be any good to thoughs who are not on line at that time. I see nothing wrong with it the way it is. You can find alot of info in here that would be hard to get any other way. If you have a probem or question, Just ask! Some one out there can help you with it. It may take a little extra time but, hey if your in that big a hurry, you need another hobby. After all, there are five days between weekends.

Marc y'all got a good thing going don't mess it up with a chat.

I've said my piece,
Kelly
Old 02-19-2003, 10:21 PM
southerngent

Default Chat For RCU

This was indeed tried in the early stages of RCU's development.
But turned into a fiasco of site annamosity and inuendo's.
IRC Chat can be used for a lot of good and also be used in a detrimental fashion. It seems to promote some new friendships and Ideals of thinking. But as anything to do with dealing with large numbers of the public.... Not everyone will be happy with it.
On the moderation side of things .... you walk an extremely thin line on choices of what you percieve the topics of the room to be.
The constant bashing of products and members tend to be bias towards their product of choice to the point of becomeing hostal. Political issues ..... and everything you can imagine are discussed in chat rooms. This being said, A Chat moderator does his best to lead the illfated conversations to another direction but in the same turn cannot censure someones point of veiw.
I have been operating a chat room for a couple years now and I do agree with Marc here in that a dedicated RCU Chat would only serve to create problems and unrest between it's users.

For those of you who would like to participate in chat there are some well established rooms already available.
I'm apprehensive to post them for you as the management here might not find them appropiate.... if Marc says its ok to post them I would be glad to provide the info.

Southerngent
Old 02-19-2003, 10:34 PM
DJSE7EN

Default Chat Room on RCU

I haven't been in the r/c hobby long but i've been using and running web chat's irc server's and a whole bunch of other forum's
for a long time yes i agree people can get vulgar and crude they can in the forum's on this site to and you can delete there post's and kick them off just like you could with a live chat setup!

You don't even need a senior member to run it how i setup my different live chat rooms in the past is you get people who want to be moderator's for the chat rooms and give them block's of hour's there online like john doe has 6PM till 9PM to moderate then joe smoe has 9PM till 12AM etc.. this always works out great so these moderators are there to get ride of the rude and crude people if we get them i think it can be done with class and style
because most people i've seen on this site are great to deal with anyway well that's my two cent's thanks for listening

For All The Things I've Lost I Miss My Mind The Most
Old 02-19-2003, 11:32 PM
DJSE7EN

Default Chat Room on RCU

I Wanted to add the simple way of solving the chat or no chat debate is to put a poll to decide i think it's that simple to let everyone make there decision

Old 02-19-2003, 11:48 PM
southerngent

Default Chat Room on RCU

Ummmm, If you reread Marc's post above I think you will see that he is NOT interested in haveing an IRC chat Associated with RCU.
So no poll is nessasary.

Decision has been made already by the Managment.

Southerngent
Old 02-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Kris^
Banned

Default Chat Room on RCU

I think Gent said it best .
this is not a democracy.
this is not a committee
this is not the United Nations.

This is a benevolent dictatorship, run by an enlightened Despot.

We don't need "Chat" . we need "communication". You want Chat. . go to a bar.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:15 PM
DJSE7EN

Default Chat Room on RCU

Well I'am gonna say this with all this stuff leading to gent and kris post that's what this suggestions forum is for to put forth everyone's idea's if you like the idea or not that isn't the point
and i don't feel it's neighborly to trounce other people here on there idea's to use or not use a idea is up to marc and mgt!!!!!!!!

That being said if marc and mgt decide not to ever put a live chat section here none of the people in this thread who want chat
are gonna get upset about we are just happy that there is a place were we can put our suggestions and they can think about them it's like me putting up a post saying how dare southerngent and Kris say we cannot have a live chat they have no right to do this nope there idea's are just as valid and they have a right to them but don't trounce people and belittle them for those idea's that you do or do not like thanks keep your stick on the ice and have a great day
Old 02-20-2003, 06:04 PM
TallDude.
Banned

Default Chat Room on RCU

I have to agree with Kris^.

We don't need another chat server. There are already several places to chat realtime. I would hate to see RCU go down the same road that RConline went down.

Also, there would be a significant bandwidth hit if a chat server is implemented. This could slow down the entire system unless more hardware is added.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:53 PM
southerngent

Default Chat Room on RCU

Well I'am gonna say this with all this stuff leading to gent and kris post that's what this suggestions forum is for to put forth everyone's idea's if you like the idea or not that isn't the point and i don't feel it's neighborly to trounce other people here on there idea's to use or not use a idea is up to marc and mgt!!!!!!!!
Ok .... hang on here........
1.) My post's on this subject stand alone......... not in conjuncture with Kris^. His opinion and choice of words are his own!

2.) My posts did not in any way shape,form,or fashion "Trounce or Belittle" anyone.
They were only my humble opinions and past experience with IRC chat that I hoped I could convey both the Pros & Cons.

3.) I did suggest you reread Marc's prior post as you suggested there be a poll to decide the debate....... I was only refering you to his post so you could see for yourself that the decision had already been made. Therefore further deliberation on this subject is Moot.

I have been a registered member here for quite some time....... as you can see by my post count that I refrain from posting very often. I do so because it seems that everytime I enter a conversation or debate...... My words are either misconstrued or simply taken out of the context from which they were intended.

If I have somehow offended you ... let me be the first to appologize to you. It was not my intention to upset anyone or cause anyone any grief.

Southerngent
Old 02-20-2003, 10:28 PM
DJSE7EN

Default Chat Room on RCU

I will put forth my apology to if any of my words were hard i just wanted to put my opinion out there Even though i know marc made up his mind he could always change his decision you never know well southerngent or kris if you read this have a great day keep on flying and keep your stick on the ice

Old 02-20-2003, 11:57 PM
packfan88

Default Chat Room on RCU

man you guys gotta chill out ...the guys in control will make the ultimate choice ...your 2 cents is noted but anythign more than that seems like babble....this is a suggestion forum ....just like if i said i suggest we change the name of the site to packfans they would listen and think about it ....all they ask is opion and suggestions not debates over their choices