Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Seagull Dual Ace what a nice bird

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull Dual Ace what a nice bird

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seagull Dual Ace what a nice bird

Got my dual ace last weekend.

Well, I was very surprised about the quality of the plane. Nice build and everything fits at the first test fittings. Two things, as before mentioned the rear side windows are not the same as the windshield. I can live with it, but this will be changed. So here we go to number two, the front of the canopy is flat and the rest of the cabin in gloss. I will change this too, like the windows…I’m looking for a pilot.

I have two OS 0.60 coming – I know I know, it’s way too much power, but this is what I do to all of my airplanes. Also I’m thinking about retracts which would be the cherry on top the cake – done it before, so I know what to do.

One of the employees of my LHS build the plane and had it in the shop for a couple of days. Fully assembled and sitting there did NOT look like what I saw on the box. I saw the box and did not pay attention – my thought…another kind of “twin star”. I was way wrong, what a beautiful bird.

Anyway, my first mod was to replace the fuel tank. The stock one has 8oz, the [link=http://sullivanproducts.com/Fueltanks2MainFrame.htm]Sullivan S728 10 oz[/link] fits like a glove in there. It is a flex tank and work absolute in the mount. I hope my engines come in tomorrow so I can start on this puppy.

It is my first seagull model and I have a question, the grey on the motor/tank/servo crate – is this a kind of fuel proof?

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete

Old 03-14-2006, 03:41 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Dual Ace what a nice bird

I've always painted a coat of epoxy over that gray 'paint'.....just doesn't look fuel proof - too porous for me! Nice idea with the tanks....never thought of exchanging them .

I'm concerned with the tailheavy-ness......so off comes the nose cone and a shelf will be built!

Jerry
Old 03-14-2006, 10:31 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you think it's nice now wait till you fly it. AS far as engines, you'd be better off with a pair of Magnum, 70 4 strokers. Plane needs the weight. And you would be suprised how close even 11 inch props are to the ground.....
Andy
Old 03-15-2006, 08:42 AM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: tailskid
I've always painted a coat of epoxy over that gray 'paint'.....just doesn't look fuel proof - too porous for me! Nice idea with the tanks....never thought of exchanging them .
I'm concerned with the tailheavy-ness......so off comes the nose cone and a shelf will be built!
Jerry
Yes, I agree Jerry – I looked at the paint and it just “calls” for epoxy. I saw some posts about the huge amount of weight in the nose cone. Well, with my little heavier engines maybe I’m right there
Which leads me to…
ORIGINAL: a65l
If you think it's nice now wait till you fly it. AS far as engines, you'd be better off with a pair of Magnum, 70 4 strokers. Plane needs the weight. And you would be suprised how close even 11 inch props are to the ground.....
Andy
You Andy, I have a pair of OS 60 FP well broken in and very reliable. Last night I started on this project and my thought was to put 12 inch on it. With the OS’s I can swing also 11x8 or 11X9 – thanks for the heads up.

As I said I started last night, the motor box, throttle servos, aileron servos are installed. The cutouts for the servos are too small for Futaba 3004. the glue on servo block on the aileron hatch cry for some small screws IMO. The motor mounts are slotted so they are a great amount adjustable, up to 1.70 inches (around 1-11/16”).
The ailerons, rudder and elevators are easy to glue, but when I pulled them out to check if the hinges are in the center there were not. The manual stated to pull them out and use t-pins – better follow the manual. [8D]

G-Pete
Old 03-19-2006, 08:51 PM
G-Pete

the bird is to 98% done the [link=http://photos.imageevent.com/germanpete/rc/Dual%20Ace%20OS%2060%20low%20qual.wmv]VIDEO[/link] of the testing the OS 0.60 max FP
Old 03-19-2006, 08:58 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Be carefull if you loose an engine. From what I've seen running mine on the ground on one engine, it pulls very quickly into the dead engine. More power = stronger pull. With two .46 FX's on it is a rocketship... it'll be jet fast with two .60's pulling 8 or 9 pitch props.

Andy
Old 03-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the VIDEO of the testing
HAHA!! Yeah baby!! I saved that one to my hard drive.

Love the sound of those two engines trying to rip that wing off the plane!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:28 PM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: a65l
Be carefull if you loose an engine. From what I've seen running mine on the ground on one engine, it pulls very quickly into the dead engine. More power = stronger pull. With two .46 FX's on it is a rocketship... it'll be jet fast with two .60's pulling 8 or 9 pitch props.
Andy
Andy,
I’m aware about that, 12x6 props will do just fine on the 60’tees. I added 6 oz weight plus a 2700mA battery. The total was 13 ounces in the nose cone.
Here is the [link=http://ImageEvent.com/germanpete/rc]LINK[/link] to more pictures
The picture below shows the red line at 90mm, my CG sits on 85mm.

The maiden flight will be today or tomorrow.

G-Pete
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 AM
G-Pete

Yep, I had my maiden flight with the Dual Ace – again what a nice bird! She flies like on rails. The correction on the control surfaces were one click down and one click to the left (futaba 7cap).
I ended up with a 2700mA 5cell 6V battery and 6oz of weight in the nose, the total was/is 11oz.
The OS .60 engines work just fine, at the first flight I did not go over half throttle and she was already fast (big smile on my face).
The 3 inch wheels keep the prop from zing the grass on our rouge field. We took a video, soon it will be posted.
It is absolutely fun to fly this twin engine airplane. The next thing is retracts…I don’t know how and when but this is a “must have”.
G-Pete
Old 03-24-2006, 11:23 AM
tailskid

What would also look cool would be some flaps...hint, hint....
Old 03-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Kmot

Congratulations, G-Pete! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Looking forward to the video.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM
G-Pete

I just got the Dual Ace on the scale, the scale is certified (warehouse) – now 12.85lb or around 12lb and 14oz. That’s pretty good from what I read in other posts with 0.46 engines.
My first thoughts were why put .46 engines on it when the plane is so heavy. On the other hand Seagull should know what they are doing --- well I was a little confused. Some guys add 20 oz to get the bird balanced (inverted). After reading that I decided to put bigger engines on it, man – I’m glad I did. Today is more flying scheduled, it is a nice weather right now…she rolls nice on the 3” wheels.

Happy landings
G-Pete
Old 03-27-2006, 09:13 AM
G-Pete

I’m still waiting for the video, meantime I had some more flights – it is impressive how this plane handles. Good job Seagull.

This weekend I made the decision about the retracts. I will order them soon , it looks so much better in the air…here is a “photo shop” picture. One is my plane in a flyby and the other is how she will look like soon.

G-Pete
Old 03-29-2006, 12:27 PM
G-Pete

Finally the maiden video and pictures are up – just follow this [link=http://www.rcrenegades.com/asp/modules/maiden/showme2.asp?Action=view&subid=289]LINK[/link]

G-Pete
Old 03-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Kmot

Sweet!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:22 PM
dmartin168
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished my dual ace 46. The engines are OS FS-52 4-strokes with 11-8 APC props. Will fly the airplane next week. I was concerned about the CG as I had to add 16 oz's of lead to the nose to get it to balance. But it appears others have had to add weight also. The weight of the airplane came out at 11 lbs. with no fuel. Looking forward to flying it............
Old 08-22-2006, 09:55 AM
tailskid

where's your CG located?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

I know the book says to balance at 85mm back, but if you will check the other Dual Ace threads, the plane flies well at 105mm. I had a lot of weight in the nose of mine, but kept taking it out little by little. Finally, I am down to a regular 1650 NiMH battery up there. 105 is the point. At 85, mine felt nose heavy and I tended to run out of up elevator on landing. At 105 it lands very nicely.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Darren D.

Hi guy's, I'm new to RCU and to multi's but I'm glad I found this site! It is nice to be able to gain info before a project begins.
I just ordered the Dual Ace 46 last Friday after reading some good reviews on this site.
I ordered two Evo. .46's for my bird I may add retracts at a later time.

My question, What size spinner to use? And did I read correctly that the CG should be 100 to 115 mm? I want to avoid the use of dead weight if possible.

Thanks
Darren
Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 AM
cristomx

Hi, everyone, I'm new at RCU, and as Darren D. did, I just buy a Dual Ace after reading a lot reviews of which is the best first Twin engine plane. I like the comments about its flying habits and the ability to fly steady under a motor failure. Another big decision point for me was how it looks, after see the other options, the TwinStar and Twin Stick, there were no doubts in which one looks better.

I’m thinking in power it with two .46NT Evo’s too, I’ve never test or fly any of these but I want to try it, I've heard they’re good, cheap and looks good also. I only have OS’s and Saito’s, so any comments or tips about Evolution Engines are very welcome.

I wish to install retracts and after saw G-Pete’s digital edited image of how it will looks; man I really think it’s a good idea.

I think Robart’s “Tri Gear Set RoboStrut Ready for 3/8" dia. Strut with 90 Deg. Mains & 90 deg. Firewall Mount Nose w/Air Kit”, Part # 521RS could work ([link=http://www.robart.com/retracts/6-12lb510.aspx]http://www.robart.com/retracts/6-12lb510.aspx[/link]), but I’m not sure if the Firewall Mount Nose gear and its 2¼ in. wheel could fix Inside the cowling (if it was installed for front deploying). [sm=50_50.gif]

I’ll be waiting your comments guys. [sm=regular_smile.gif]

Thanks

Cristobal
Old 08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
cessnaskyhawk

Tried your link for the Vid and Pics but they wouldn't come up. Sure would like to see them.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
pilot727

G-Pete
I watched your video of your duel ace, i have a c-160 transall with two os32sx and it is a big plane and goes pretty fast but after watching your video with the two 60s wow it really sounded so nice and looked so much better then the picture on the box, i did not think the picture of the ace on the box done it any justice, one has to look at the plane and it looked really sweet, i could use a third twin, rollie
Old 09-08-2006, 06:20 AM
GJAUBIN
My Feedback: (9)

Gentlemen, looking to do a twin for the first time. Would this be a good "trainer twin" or would you recommend something else. I do have plenty of time on singles.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:09 AM
pilot727

I have never flown one but from what has been said about it i would say so, the twinstar would probably not be where the seagull seems like a really nice plane
Old 09-08-2006, 01:49 PM
sanyul

Guys! I'm working on my Dual Ace. This will be my first twin. I have some questions for you. Hope you could help me. I'm following G-Pete's advice on going all the way with .60's (OS .61 FX) 12 x 6 props sounds ok? What battery suggested to feed those 7 power-hungry servos? I'm on standby with the wings. Fuselage is all done. Any tips before continuing with the wings / engines?

I appreciate your help!

Sanyul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.