Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:21 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

I saw this thread and just had to post this picture - as the subject line says - Everything Radial Engines.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10269.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	510605  
Old 08-28-2006, 08:55 PM
WILLIT RUN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to all Where can I buy the ASP Magnum 400 5 cylinder radial. I have been to just engines but no where to buy one. I want it for my aeroworks stearman. Thanks for the help
Old 09-01-2006, 02:49 PM
stevesak
My Feedback: (27)

Willit,

There was a guy on the famous auction site who went by the name "bonparhobby" out of Canada who was selling either the Magnum/ASP/SC 400 radials (all made by Sanye in China) for $875 or $925 each. This was the cheapest that I've seen them. Unfortunately, he doesn't appear to be a member anymore. He is still listed as being a member of RCU under the same name. Try to contact him... he may still be in business.

KMOT,
Don't worry, I wasn't offended. I may be a little self conscious, but that's my issue... LOL!

Everyone,
I'm adding some photos of the Robert Washburn Triscamp, taken by me in my basement. It has a total .059 displacement and uses the sleeves from the Cox Pee Wee .020. He made 8 of them back around 1981 (this one is s/n 4). A very interesting very little two-stroke radial. There is more information at http://www.modelenginenews.org/ Search for Triscamp. I've also updated my radial group photo with the Seidel ST-996, Berger, Triscamp, Keleo 750, and Technopower 7B

--->Steve

Name:	Db84198.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	517130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15225.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	517131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38840.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	517132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68035.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	517133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80611.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	517134  
Old 09-12-2006, 04:26 PM
chasrb

Hey guys I am not sure this has been posted here before or not, but it is a 2006 set of videos of an Aeroworks Stearman with a Saito 325 on it with the custom Keleo collector (rear). It really sounds great...

[link]http://www.terynd.com/saito325.html[/link]
Old 09-12-2006, 05:40 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately that's the version of the flying video where you cannot here anything but the music.

To listen to the engine in that collection, you have to move down the screen a little and watch the ones of the engine being broken in.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:16 PM
chasrb

I double checked the link after I put in and it launched to the page and played the video just fine. Perhaps your video player is out of date? I am on XP sp2 running windows media player 10.

Thanks for the update.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:30 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

Here's the video without the music:

www.terynd.com/public/Stearman-1.29.06-nm.wmv

I also updated the website with a link to the "no music" version.

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Unfortunately that's the version of the flying video where you cannot here anything but the music.

To listen to the engine in that collection, you have to move down the screen a little and watch the ones of the engine being broken in.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:27 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Teryn,

I saved the original with no music you posted several months back to my computer. I liked it so well. Excellent job.

The videos on the Saito 325 radial inspired me so that I bought a Saito 90R radial for myself.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-15-2006, 05:36 AM
chasrb

w8ye, I understand your comment better now. I read it thinking no video only music, sorry for my confusion. This is what happens when you have support too many windows installs, you're always responding - not reasoning.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Francois7

Hello Steve, Hello every one over there...
It's a very small planet, I did recognise your Lerhone or Clerget engine...so I found that i was not alone so found with radials engine !

I have also Two Seidel, but the 5 and the 7 cylinders, the 7 is the nicest of them all, (and a few twins as nobody is perfect..) and i'm planning to buy a 7 cylinder 1/6 scale from Technopower, but theyre new engine is only on test since a few days althought It's on the table for about 2 years now....anyway I they are doing theyre best for our pleasure...

By the way I need your help and clever brains:

I have a big problem because I was planning to built a Fokker DVIII as I'm a fan of WW1 fighters and the DVIII is a beauty and very simple to built compare to a Stearman or any other biplane. And was planning to use the technopower but it may not be available before another year or so ...again !

But now, after having heard and seen again a Saito and a Seidel because of your forum, I feel I cannot wait anymore !

So does anybody know a WW1 monoplane or parasol kit, very true to scale and preferably an arf kit or partially built which could use a radial like the 5 cylinder Seidel or the any of the 5 cylinders Saito ?

Or if some one has some autocad plans so that i could use my Stepfour (CNC hotwire cutting and frasing machine) for the wood parts and a wing profile of the Fokker DVIII so that i could cut the wing from foam and then cover it with abachi or balsa which emulate the real one which that was the first cantilever monoplane with completely platted wing with multiply ?

I know I'm dreaming, but who know, it could be that another dreamer had the same dream ?

So gentlemen, Start your engine...and long life to the radials !
Thank you in advance,
Life is beautiful,
Francois
Old 09-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Francois7

I forgot to say that my 5 cylinder Seidel is a old one, ( about 10 years old ) which is 54 cc (about a 325 I think) and not the one I just saw on a shop which speak about a 1/3 scale 5 cylinders which is enormous !
I would prefer to stay below 7 feets Span...
Francois
Old 09-27-2006, 07:43 PM
chasrb

Just go my ST710 back from Keleo with my new exhaust collector. Looks nice, just need to fire it up and see how it sounds...

Name:	Ol31516.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	531469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34877.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	531470  
Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder
My Feedback: (104)

You got that right! keep buying that cheap foreing Junk! look what it is doing to our jobs and economy, quit buying it or do without.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Cybertom

Guys,

This doesn't belong here.

You got that right! keep buying that cheap foreing Junk! look what it is doing to our jobs and economy, quit buying it or do without.
I started this thread to talk about RADIAL ENGINES not geo political economics. Go start your own thread somewhere else!
Old 10-07-2006, 03:24 PM
chasrb

Good call...goto CNN.com and tell them.

Tom I am uplading my PT-13 (17) original manual scans to Xdrive. Have you heard of it? You'll need to get an id I am sure to gain access to my files there. I'll send you the link in a PM when the uplaod is complete. Sorry to have taken so long to make good on my agreement....

Looks like a few more hours to go. Alternatively you can just view them from there and not download, up to you.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:54 PM
bluehrnt

i have a seidel 710..brand new and I notice one of the lifters/valves is not returning when I spin the engine by hand. Its like its getting hung up inside. The spring on the valve is fine so I adjusted the allen screw and it now pushes the rod back but it clicks. Is this serious? i emailed the manufacturer but they take forever.

Thanks,

Henry [email protected]
Old 10-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Cybertom

It might be. I don't have a new Seidel so I don't know this for sure but if the valve can hit the piston when it is fully extended because it is sticking that would be bad.

Figure out how far down the valve travels and see if it contacts the piston at TDC. If is clears you may simply be able to run it for a few hours on the bench and it will break-in and loosen up. It just might be a little tight. Also when the engine gets hot the parts will expand and it should loosen up for that reason alone.

This may sound crude but you can also sit on the couch and work the valve by hand while watching TV until its starts to loosen up.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Cybertom

Make a video of it running on the bench. In my opinion the collector rings dramatically improves the smoothness of the engine when it runs and even more dramatic is the realism of sound. The sound and sputtering of the short header pipes doesn't do anything for me.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:45 PM
TFF

These are not really flying engines, but if you have time to whittle a couple out!

http://agelessengines.com/

and the Morton is still avalable as a kit at

http://modelenginenews.org/vernal/index.html

These guys make machining these engines look like a easy weekend project, but they are cool to read.

http://www.5bears.com/index.htm

http://modelenginenews.org/

Tom
Old 11-10-2006, 06:44 PM
bowmaker

Hello all
I've been drooling on pictures of these radials and watching videos for a year now, and I just placed an order for the saito 325-5. I don't really have alot of time for a build right now ,so what ARFs are out there besides the Aeroworks stearman that I could drop this in. Any suggestions?
Bowmaker
Old 11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a Saito 170R3. After looking at a lot of kits, I think I'm going to build the Goldberg Sukhoi 26. I've heard from someone who did the same and said that it flew well. Never thought I would actually have a radial.....
Old 11-14-2006, 10:37 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was this thread that mentioned the lack of sources for Magnum radial engines. (I'm too lazy to go back thru the pages)

In the current issue of Model Aviation, in the RC Scale column, a guy is mentioned flying a T-34 with a Magnum 1.60 twin. Wonder where he got his.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hobby People sells the Magnum 1.6 twin as do normal hobby stores if they want to contact Global Hobby Distributing.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 PM
jbarnes

I just purchased the 325 and the Aeroworks Stearman. If you guys are thinking about the Stearman you better get one. This is the last batch they are producing. When I was down there a few weeks ago they has less than 30 of them left.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:04 PM
the Gnome

Hello folks over there, I just found this forum and had to join at once! The radial scene here in Germany isn't very big, so I'm glad to find people to discuss the radial stuff, at last.

The post is some days old, but to bluehrnt, I think, cybertom is right, perhaps You can remove the pushrod, so that You can check, whether the valve or the lifter sticks. If it is the lifter, there might be a sharp edge on the inner end of the lifter guide. As You can unscrew the guides on the Seidel ST 710, may be You can remove the edge. The clicking noise You've heared, is obviously from the piston when it pushes the sticking valve back. I got my ST 710 last year and had another problem with it, the timing adjustment was about 30 degrees early, so that each exhaust valve touched the piston, when the valve clearance was correct. It seems that this was not detected in the factory, because they adjusted the clearance much to lose. I sent the engine back and Mr. Seidel fixed the problem and double checked the complete system himself in only some days, now everything works perfect.

To bowmaker, who searched for ARFs to fit the Saito radial, take a look on the homepage of K&W ( www.kwmairpl.com.ph ), who have a very nice ARF Stearman in their program, or on Eurolights page ( www.eorolight.aero ), who have a Gee Bee Y Sportster. I just got a very fine ARF for my Saito R5, an Aero A 102 from the Cechen company Savex. It is a full GFK/CFK model of the Chechen fighter plane of the early thirties, and it is the most detailed model I've ever seen. You can see the model on the homepage of the German company Bichler (www.bichler-modellbau.de )

So this was my first time in this forum, looking forward to much more intersting stuff...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.