Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas blues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:15 PM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traxxas blues

Well I have 5 runs on the stampede xl-5. And I also now have 2 shot bearings already. Which , by the way, I upgraded to before I even ran the truck. At first I thought the bearings I got were junk , but one of them were a stock traxxas bearing in the tranny.

1. Traxxas should give 5x11 bearings in the carriers on all four corners!
2. If they want to keep the cost down, sell an upgraded pro kit w/ carbon fiber and real bearings , but no electronics.
3. If they're going to sell a truck w/ a 12 turn motor, make sure you can at least change the brushes.
4. At least try to make sure every box has an instruction book so ppl don't have to feel like idiots when they can't figure out how to turn the darn thing on. What , a switch would make the truck cost $3.00 more.

Sorry to complain , but this was goin to be a bl project. I'm afraid to run it stock now.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 PM
*Nitstklr72*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas blues

A lot of cars need a little of work here and there in the start but its worth the extra work in the long run.

Trust me!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
aer-wubby

I hear ya, and it's the truth. Traxxas is stricly RTR apparently, and they seem to focus more on their nitros more than they do electrics. They could atleast use ie a good 19T motor. I guarantee you my Komodo Dragon Pro is much better than that 12T titan. But, if you look at it, their motors don't even cost much. I guess that's their way of keeping the cost down. Their stuff is pretty damn good, but people would like RTRs to perform as good as it did 1 month ago when you first ran it. I still have a 4-tec, but I of course replaced all the BB's with duratrax bearings which are damn good, and modified a lot of things myself. I guess if you want more from their RTR's, you'd have to spend well over a 100 for it to run like all the other good quality RTRs out there (AE, Losi, etc). I've spent well over 200 into my 4-tec, and it runs flawlessley (about 40MPH on GP3300's). I was never satisfied with the handling, and it costed me just that, well over 200, for it to run great.

But I can't complain, I love this hobby. And modifying things makes it more of a blast.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Rare

Well, dont really hate on traxxas. The pede can easily be upgraded to run your BL setup with some cash on hand. Buy a DTX BB Kit...and whatever else you think needs to be upgraded. But why are you complaining about the brushes? Who cares about the stock motor if you are gonna go BL right?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:49 PM
aer-wubby

ORIGINAL: R�reBreed

Well, dont really hate on traxxas. The pede can easily be upgraded to run your BL setup with some cash on hand. Buy a DTX BB Kit...and whatever else you think needs to be upgraded. But why are you complaining about the brushes? Who cares about the stock motor if you are gonna go BL right?
I think he just said that to prove the quality of TRX's RTRs.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Rare

ORIGINAL: aer-wubby

ORIGINAL: R�reBreed

I think he just said that to prove the quality of TRX's RTRs.
Oh, ok.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:11 PM
duneslider

I am just about a proud new owner of a xl-5 pede, the stork should drop it off on Monday or Tuesday.

In my experience the traxxas motors last quite a long time. Sure they aren't the greatest but even if the brushes were replaceable would anyone really want to. You can get much better motors for pretty cheap.

You should be happy there are even bearings in the tranny! They could have just put bushings there too. The whole bearing kit is pretty cheap anyway, but I do agree, you should have a bearing go out in the first few runs. I think you just got a bad one.

Above all, you need to remember what you paid. I just got a brand new Pede for 175. Is there anything similar for even close to that price? Traxxas makes incredibly durable rc's. That is why I am getting one. I want to have an rc that is fun and I can beat without having to buy parts every bash session.

I am converted to the Traxxas way of bashing.

Duneslider
Old 09-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Rare

I am converted to the Traxxas way of bashing.
THats the only way to go my friend!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 AM
ftt4maniac

First thing i did with my pede is RPM front and rear bearing carriers, they allow for a bigger bearing, I have yet to blow one out.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:27 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I just ordered rpm for the corners. And I'm workin on a deal for a bl system. But my whole rant and rave thing is 5 runs is nothing. Stuff should not wear out that fast already. I also do understand I didn't pay that much for it , and that there are some things they did to keep the cost down. But when they revised the revo they revised it. They changed it to make it handle better, and faster and added things the they thought ppl would want to have on a vehicle they might race one day. Why not do this for the stampede? All they did was change the motor, esc , slipper. I shouldn't have to by aftermarket bearing carriers and bearings when I buy the truck. That should be a standard. I mean when I first bought the bearings , I told the guy at the lhs that those cannot be for the wheels and axle carriers. Traxxas can't actually think that these little things could support these big wheels and tires. The bearings in my m18 carriers are bigger. And also I do like to upgrade for racing , but I am only going to bash this truck . I didn't want to stick a sh*tload of cash in the truck itself. I owned and raced a Revo for two seasons and didn't have to buy anything. It held up like a champ. All I'm sayin is Traxxas should have went a hair further w/ the revision. It is a great truck, and now alot of ppl are going back too electric bc of the bl. Traxxas should have relized this. I mean it is 2006. They even put that as part of the name. Hello Traxxas they stopped putting bushings in cars years ago. But enough bashin Traxxas for now I'll upgrade moveon and have some fun w/ this thing.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:53 AM
SkrapIron

Gripe all you want. You bought a TRAXXAS. They are the Toyota Corolla of the RC world. Nothing flashy, inexpensive and reliable.

As long as you guys keep buying things based entirely on PRICE, Traxxas will continue to churn out entry level STUFF. I mean, what are you expecting from a freaking $160.00 RTR model???

If you wanted bearings, a better motor, better performance, etc, you should have bought a different (and better) model!
Old 09-28-2006, 08:31 AM
happywing

Whoa Scrap, that's harsh...but true. You get whatcha pay for and a Pede is a Pede. It doesn't take too much to make it strong and reliable. A few RPM thingy's, some good bearings and a decent motor/ESC setup. Guys just need to quit buying the ESC version. Get the MSC version. Yank the MSC and the motor and put in some good stuff. Pede's are great!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: SkrapIron

They are the Toyota Corolla of the RC world. Nothing flashy, inexpensive and reliable.
I'm sorry, but that's just hilarious.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Rare

ORIGINAL: Eman77

They are the Toyota Corolla of the RC world. Nothing flashy, inexpensive and reliable.
I'm sorry, but that's just hilarious.
I love the old corollas!!! Give me a 84 and ill shred those tires in 3 min.[>:]
Old 09-28-2006, 03:14 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Gripe all you want. You bought a TRAXXAS. They are the Toyota Corolla of the RC world. Nothing flashy, inexpensive and reliable.

As long as you guys keep buying things based entirely on PRICE, Traxxas will continue to churn out entry level STUFF. I mean, what are you expecting from a freaking $160.00 RTR model???

If you wanted bearings, a better motor, better performance, etc, you should have bought a different (and better) model!

Awwwwwwww, thats about the nicest thing I've EVER seen you say about a traxxas skrap! And its truthful.

If you can go on ebay and find a rusty/pede rolling chassis, then go for that instead of the RTR. You will be much happier in the end because you aren't paying for electronics that you will eventually throw away or use sparingly.