Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 09-28-2006, 10:12 PM
cimara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Ive started airfoiling the tai group done the tailfin so far got to do the ruder and the stab . still have not figured out a way to keep the 0 degree incidence on the stab. was thinking of just thikin the balsa sheeting on the stab were it comes out from the fuse and scribing it to match the profile of the fuse . oh topfight sent 2 of the stab base so ill just use the one i didnt modifi thanks for the help
Old 09-28-2006, 10:20 PM
RCPILOT78

cimara....don't airfoil the bottom of the stab center section ,,only outboard of the fuselage sides, that will allow the stab to maintain the 0 incidence...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:12 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rcpiolt78 That tail group looks resly goodand with it solid in the rest of the structure,you shoulr be okjuxt csrefullwith thr epoxy

Cimsrs my stabhas about 2pos deg at leading edge. one ie=s abiut the same i have to admit I used 2 robsrt meterd jigs and a 4'netal scale to get tvery thing the way the plans cald for.every thing was weighted downwith bsbby sochs filled with #6 led shotso nothing moved inless you movedit.

If you change the balsa at the top of thr rudder, use the hardest balsa you can finc.add a piece of 1/64 acply to thr sides snd back of to fin post this will help on nose over

Went looking for the book,at this point it probly went in our hose fire 25 years ago. OH Well..

Got somthing done for a chsnge the iso block is milled to s msx thickness of .542 will finaly be taking it for taxy testat least sat/sun

Cheers bob T

Old 09-29-2006, 07:56 AM
Jon72286

Question to all. Will the G62 fit to the rubber mounted engine mounting kit I bought with the plane. I know a lot of you guys use that engine and I was wondering if you also used the rubber mount kit that is sold on tower as an accesory with the kit. Just wondering if the G62 had the same mounting hole position as the engine they suggest in the kit. I havent bought my G62 yet. I give myself an RC budget every month and I went a little bit over with buying all the accesories fot the plane. The kit itself isnt all that pricy but I got all the bells and whistles that Tower had to offer like the cockpit kit (anyone use the one from Top Flite, How is it?), the dummy radial, retracts (just got here today), and I was a little low on building supplies. I spent about 900 bucks on tower in one night (that hurts but its worth it) so I am cleaned out of my RC budget for about 2 months or so. I am also looking at the hardware that Tower offers like the Pull Pull cable and pushrods and things like that. Would you all suggest these products? what did you guys use? They all are good quality like Dubro and Sullivan. Oh yea, one more thing Did you all go with the 32oz tank from sullivan? Let me know what you all think. Take care and God Bless

Petty Officer Jonathan P. Green USN
Old 09-29-2006, 08:33 AM
RCPILOT78

Hey JON....I am not sure about the G62 mounting holes...but I am sure of one thing If you use that engine as I am be sure to substitute at least a 3/4 inch fire wall and sink it deep into the mount box...the G62 is a strong heavy engine and that 1/4 inch ply mount supplied is not going to cut it !!!!! all of those accessories you mentioned are excellent for the craft...

You mentioned earlier in the posts that you might ask your CO if you can fly the corsair off the deck of your ship...that would be neat...keep us informed on that..talk about recreating history in R/C fashion. (prepair to launch aircraft )
Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
rt3232

Jon about the engine mount there are pic's back in this thread of how I did mine, cone from B&B hard mounted to 3/8 a/c 5ply and bolt through rubber mounts in to blind nuts in the fire wall, Fire wall is 1/2 a/c 6ply its just what in had on hand drilled tips of bolts and safety wired in pairs 3/4X3/4 try stock behind fire wall all sides then I pinned fire wall thru fuse box with 1/8 H/W dowel one each side. If you plan on a B/B Lt miller full pilot, I found that I had to lower the cockpit floor a full 5/8,this ment I had to adjust the pushrod holes, and servo mount, so plan ahead, besure to backup the dummy radial with lite ply not more than 1/8 with a 62 you will have some close trim fits. The cockpit is vacuum formed so in the rough its allitle cheep but with some paint it can be made to look ok except to the corsair experts, if you are going for a sliding canopy I would think about building a cockpit, mind just went blank...

Read the threads that you think will give you the most help and look close at the pic's it takes a lot of time but can save a lot of headaches

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-29-2006, 11:07 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Finally got one side of the wing with some surface detail on now. Still the rivets to go. I stole the little Flitemetal strip idea from my buddy who did this when we finished a smaller Corsair for another pal last season. It looked really nice when finished, so figured I would use it here. Not true to scale--like other stuff on my bird, but it did look really cool on the other one, so here it is in larger scale again...[8D]...thanks Chuck..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40693.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	532644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34457.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	532645  
Old 09-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Jon72286

Hey guys, Things are going good with the build. Although I am a little intimadated with the rest of it. i guess its just that I have so much money invested in it that I am afraid of screwing it up and having a half built plane that I messed up. I have a lot of research to do on it. I still have never glassed a plane and these are the biggest retracts that I have ever installed and I have never done gear doors. I guess I feel like I have bit off more than I can chew, you know what I mean lol. I figure if I take my time and do things slow and easy and do a ton of research that I will be fine. This is also the biggest plane that I have ever owned or flown or even built. I just want to get things right. Maybe I could work on a few side projects to get my building skills up to par. Any advice? Thanks for the info with the G62. Not quite sure what all you guys ment but after looking at the plans I kind of figured it out. I still have the rubber mounted firewall kit that I bought as an accesory. Should I substitute it with thicker wood and then line up and drill my holes? Thanks for the help

P.S. Dont think the CO of the ship will let me fly it off the flight deck. Major FOD (foreign object damage) hazard but a few of my buddies and I fly our flat 3D foamies at the end of cruise in the hangar bay after all the Jets have flown off. Its always a crowd pleaser for people when they see a couple of them buzzing around the Hangar Bay. Thanks again

Petty Officer Jonathan P. Green USN
Old 09-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Jon72286

One more question guys. Whats wrong with the US engine that the Manual suggest? I noticed that almost nobody uses that engine. IS it too weak? I just want something that will give me plenty of power on tap if I need it but still fly the plane at a scale speed and do those awsome powerfull verticals. Let me know whats up. Thanks, Jon
Old 09-29-2006, 11:33 PM
wulf190

LOL John, Yes, that would be a bit of a FOD for sure. There's one solution to the intimidation factor of the build (it was my biggest project to date when I took it on too)---answer: get a bigger project that makes it look smaller! Just kidding.

There's been some guys using the US41, but it definitely won't get the job done on performance as you desire like the G62 does. I bought my plane a couple days after seeing this combination fly, saying "yep, that's the one". It was very impressive I thought..just done in the box scheme but nicely scaled out. Performance was really impressive I thought, with power enough for nice big loops and to take a little tension off of certain situations I could see from just watching it fly. Your description of what you want is exactly what I saw from the G62 combo on the plane. I yanked mine in favor of the Sachs of even displacement... a heavier and maybe a little more powerful motor. I wouldn't feel bad with a 75 in there I'm sure either. Glassing's no biggy, don't fret it. Plenty of info out there for you to guide you through the process somewhat.....and feel good about the gear. I know they're pretty well liked units that seem to hold up when off grass too. The doors are kind of a pain, but were worth the effort I thought (until I rip them off on the first belly landing [X(]). Like me though, just don't take your pulse the first time you fly it[8D].
Old 09-30-2006, 07:45 AM
rt3232

Hey Wulf190

Those pnl line layout pic"s look grear just put them in my pic file for reff, how about pic of the next step??

Jon I am with wulf on the pwr plant a 62 as minimum, my first corsair flew great on mine big loops from stright and level, and all the rest of the things a full size could do, I am useing a 22X6-10 and 22x8.

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jon72286

One more question guys. Whats wrong with the US engine that the Manual suggest? I noticed that almost nobody uses that engine. IS it too weak? I just want something that will give me plenty of power on tap if I need it but still fly the plane at a scale speed and do those awsome powerfull verticals. Let me know whats up. Thanks, Jon
Jon,

If you are really interested in why there are not many who use the US engine, spend a bit of time on the gas engines forum to see what's said about them. I'm not even sure they are available anymore and while they may fly the model at Sea Level okay, they are barely adequate here at 4500 ASL. There's a guy in our club who has that engine on the TopFlight P-51 which is similar in size to the Corsair, but I think lighter. I'm not sure of how long our paved runway is here, but would estimate it to be in the 350 to 400 ft. range, and it's all this Mustang can do to get into the air during the summer months.

The gas engine forum will also allow you to gather a lot of information on the G-62 and why people like them. That and the extra weight of the Zenoah should be a plus for this particular model. I'll probably wind up having to add some nose weight to mine even with lightening the tail during the build but I got the engine before I even knew anything about the model or it's tendency to being tail heavy. The only one of these I've seen fly had the G-62 in it with no regard to trying to lighten the tail during it's build and he had to add a chunk of weight in the nose even with the Zenoah in it. IIRC, he told me the all up weight on the thing was close to 30lbs...[X(]
Old 09-30-2006, 08:37 AM
wulf190

That's probably about where I'll be at in weight too when I'm done. I made the wires for the cockpit lights long enough to put the little battery pack for them way up in back of the firewall so as to get all the weight forward too. I'm sure I'll still need nose weight too, but hope I can keep it to around a pound and a half or so. I know that I can get this into the inside of the cowl ring...more will start cramming things up there a bit, but I'm not messing around with anything close to tail heavy on this one for the maiden.

Thanks for the comps Bob. I used .010 styrene for the gun hatches and the little one in the middle was .005, so that the other hatches would differentiate themselves a little bit. I did those first taking some measurements off the little plastic model for size reference, then layed out the Flitmetal strips after drawing the lines on to see where they should be, then taped off the spots and put the strips on and cut them from the tape templates underneath with a sharp #11 blade. Have to be careful on this part with the knife blade for sure. Next step is just to rivet the wing panels and I'm happy there wasn't a ton of rivets on the real wing now. After the other side gets the same treatment and the whole wing is riveted, I'll be ready to paint the whole airframe. Still have to put on the surface detail for the fasteners on the cowl too, but that's all that remains before the whole thing is ready for color. Probably just a few more hours now before it starts looking a little more alive.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:09 PM
wulf190

Getting there....

Name:	Ig12078.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	532850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84374.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	532851  
Old 09-30-2006, 07:30 PM
rt3232

Wulf190

More pic's for the reff file and that bird looks great, Now I heard you buid for outhers, so is this one for you??

I can save all the pic but how do I save a written post ? any one.

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-30-2006, 08:16 PM
cimara

Bob is this what your were talking about when you mentioned the 1/64 ply at the top ?Do they make real cloth like was used on real planes for models thats not plastic?Still need to drill the holes to lightin the rudder but i am finaly making some progress

Name:	Ki19730.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	532971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66079.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	532972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70195.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	532973  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:18 PM
cimara

oh saw that on corsair jocks thread he has a lot of good info thanks for telling me about his thread
Old 09-30-2006, 09:34 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Guys,
Wulf your looking good,

George
Old 09-30-2006, 10:41 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Guys,
Trying to post a few pics, but haven't done it in a while, am missing something,will attempt again tomorrow.
George
Old 09-30-2006, 10:42 PM
cimara

Sorry rt3232 but did you say you set the stab a 2 deg pos ? If so did u also set the wing at the same ? i also found the cloth covering should have searched tower before I asked ?last question was reading a head in the instructions getting close to needing servos what do yall recommend ? should i go with metal gears or is the composite gears fine and should i go with metal control arms ?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:51 AM
rt3232

Cimara Your first post about the rudder looks good to me, and in the 40's & 50's linnen was used about mid 50's heat srink fabric came along. but I would use century 21 thats in most lhs.

After going back and checking my notes, I used the wing sadle as is except to sand to fit wing, set wing at 0 deg's with a robart meter and checked stab platform with a bubble level, it was 0 also. I did not shape any of the center of the stab, and installed per manual

Sorry about the mis info
Old 10-01-2006, 02:59 AM
Jon72286

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I just need some more confidence that I can build it and build it good. i am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to a lot of things, especially my planes. i just want to do it and do it right. I am just going to take my time and if I have any doubt on anything I will stop and research it before I mess it up and cant go back.

Question, what servos are you guys using in yours? I know that all of the control surfaces should have at least a torque of 70 or so. what have you all been using. Also what kind of radio do you guys use? I am looking into getting a JR XP 9303 for my go to radio. I love warbirs first but there is that wild side of me that loves to get an ultimate up there and cut loose. Thats how I got started in this sport with nothing but aerobat flyers. My first plane was Sonic 500 plyon racer that I learned how to fly and then I pushed it to its aerobatic limit. What a great plane and I built that thing solid.

Ok, last question. What prop are you guys using? I really want to turn a three blade on the bird but I have been reading that thry dont fly all that good. I just cant wait to do those big loops and slow rolls and straight up verticals. Can a three blade pull that off with a G62 on it? Let me know what you think.

Thanks again. Petty Officer Jonathan P. Green USN
Old 10-01-2006, 07:02 AM
wulf190

Thanks Bob and George. Did a little more work on the fuse last night, getting on the little hand holds by the cockpit and the upper half of the cowl where the dzus fasteners are. Still all the little hatches and circles and stuff on the bottom of the wing, but only a few remain, and they're all fiddly stuff rather than anything that takes a bunch of time to cut out. Yes Bob, I'm presently finishing a Ziroli Hellcat and Bearcat for two excellent fellows--buid threads are here on the site. The Corsair is all mine however. My only American warbird in the fleet of 8 planes---almost all are German--so maybe it says something of my fondness for the plane.

John, I've got a pal who runs a 22-10 Meijlik (spelling?) 3 blade on his Ziroli Stuka and it works very well. That size seemed a little big in a 3 blade to me, but it works great on his plane....only about 85 bucks a prop though, so don't break it!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 AM
rt3232

Jon Haven't tried a 3 blade but on a well broken in 62 it may be great, I may give it a try after I get a gal of fuel thru mine, I get the impression in reading GAS ENGINES at first you don't want to under or over prop a 62. THe loops and rolls and all the things a big corsair can do are fun but you will not get alot of vertical, an estimate about 300ft, out of a shallow dive and pullup never to a full stall, I did (1) one hammer head and decided never again for me.

Wulf Thats why I ask as I have been following your threads and a few others sense I found RCU, So if I am going to build scale or fun scale as I call it I found I needed some new skills.

Saved a lot of pic, but still haven't fig/out how to save a post, If any one has a system let me know.

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Bob T,

You can save an individual post by using the small "fwd" button on top of each post. That will allow you to e-mail the post content to yourself, then you can either keep it in that e-mail form or convert it using the "copy" "paste" functions of your word processing program into documents. I do that with particularly interesting or applicable posts. I don't remember if that e-mail comes with any photos that might have been in the post, but if it doesn't, you can also right click on the photo you want to save and incorporate it into the document you've made of the post you e-mailed to yourself.

I'm not aware of a way to save an entire thread other than to just bookmark it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.