Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Old Dude Bias

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:46 PM
tankertoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Dude Bias

So I'm out flying my .60 Edge at the local strip and chatting with one of the "overseers" of the field. I mentioned that I planned to build a 28% gasser, and he said "not here you're not", "this field 'aint big enough". The field seems rather large to me. The runways are at least 150X50 and 300X50. I'm quite certain I could land a full scale ultralight on the longer runway. BTW - there is no-one who flys gas here, but some of their Cubs have 80"+ wingspans. Now, am I dealing with some sort of anti-gas, anti-large scale bias, or does he have a legitimate point? Are 50cc gassers any faster than a 1.20-1.80? Why would an 85" Edge be any different than an 85" Cub?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Old Dude Bias

Are we talking grass or asphalt/concrete?

A 300 foot grass runway is enough for a 50cc plane. Just get it set down as quick as possible and it will slown down really fast once the wheels are on the grass.

Would I do it? Probably not. Can it be done? Yeah.

A 300' concrete or asphalt runway is a bit small IMO. If your good, and you can set it down at the beginning of the runway everytime--then it's possible. They roll a lot further on a smooth surface. You can take off. Thats not a problem, its the timing thing when you come in to land. You better be able to set it down within 50 feet of the end of the runway and let it roll 200' to shut down.

I guess the question is:
Are you an expert at spot landing?

The difference between an 80" Cub and an 85" Edge is about 15MPH landing speed. A Cub can be brought down at near walking speed and landed slowly and softly. An 85" Edge is going to be SCREAMING compared to the Cub. You can't bring that size Edge in at a walk. It's going to seem like it's coming in twice as fast as the Cub--and it probably is.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I fly mostly off asphalt. My planes range from 28% to 35%. The runway I use the most is 35'x300' and I have no problems at all from start to stop in staying on the paved runway and don't over run the length unless I touchdown well more than a third past the beginning of the paved area. realistically I can blow the first 150' and still make it just fine. It's only a matter of controling your approach speed and descent angle.

My opinion is that you have more than enough room. If it's a grass strip then you have more than you know what to do with.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:14 PM
tankertoad

Yup, it's long grass. My Edge only eats up about 50' once it touches down. Now that I think about it, the runways may be even longer than my original estimate (by 100'?). I think I've got plenty of space. My original draw to a larger plane was that I could fly in higher winds. (It's ALWAYS windy here) I think he may have not known how big 28% actually is. When I mentioned it, he said he "knew a guy" who had $6k into one. I'm guessing 40-45% for that kind of $.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Rcpilot

If your on grass, you can do it.

Yeah, that guy has no idea what 28% is. Nobody has $6K in a 28% plane. 40% would be more in the $6K range.

Given that he has no idea what he's talking about, don't pay any attention to him. Build your plane and bring it to the field on a crowded Saturday morning. Then let him tell you that you can't fly it in front of 50 other club members. His opinion will be accepted about as well as a fart inside a spacesuit. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Tired Old Man

Nice analogy[8D]
Old 09-30-2006, 04:18 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

300' shouldnt be a problem at all. I fly my 40% off a 350' or so field grass and paved.. Just be decent at landing, the grass will slow it down fine.

THere is always an issue with gas 3d birds, just have to find the best way to co-exist
Old 09-30-2006, 04:18 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

The runway is not the issue as far as I'm concerned, it's the airspace. If the airspace is not a problem, then the runway definitely shouldn't be if you know how to land. Deadsticks can get tricky, but if you have a reliable engine then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to touch down within the first 50 feet of the runway. If I can do it with a 35%er, you should be able to do it with a 28%er.
As for the question about the difference between the 80" cubs out there and a 50cc Aerobats, the cubs fly slower and won't eat up as much of the runway. However, they float forever, too, so if the guy on the sticks doesn't know how to land, they can eat up just as much runway. If you are at all worried about it, though, then get a 50CC plane with the lowest wingloading possible. This means getting something like the Airwild 260 and building it light as opposed to, say, a H9 260, which has way less wing area and weighs almost the same amount.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Nice analogy[8D]
A buddy of mine told me that one. I was talking with him about going to the Friday night races at the local 1/2 mile roundy round track or going to a movie with my wife. I decided to go to the races with him.

His response, "Thats gonna go over like a fart in a spacesuit when you tell Michelle your going to the races instead of taking her to a movie."

He was right. [:'(]

I took her to the movies the next weekend. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-30-2006, 05:31 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Runway isnt the issue but airspace, if you have plenty of room to bring it in an plop it where it needs to go you should be fine.

Did I mention we have like 800 ft mowed at the field I fly at?
Old 09-30-2006, 06:13 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the pleasure of attending the 2000 TOC and still remember how little runway was required by those guys to get a 40% on the ground. Chip Hyde would bring that big Ultimate in right in front of him. Fifty feet later he had it stopped. Most of the time they would kill it right there and their caller would go fetch it. Saved a lot of time during the contest. So I think the short version of this story is it depends a lot on who is twizzling the sticks .
Old 09-30-2006, 07:17 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tankertoad

So I'm out flying my .60 Edge at the local strip and chatting with one of the "overseers" of the field. I mentioned that I planned to build a 28% gasser, and he said "not here you're not", "this field 'aint big enough". The field seems rather large to me. The runways are at least 150X50 and 300X50. I'm quite certain I could land a full scale ultralight on the longer runway. BTW - there is no-one who flys gas here, but some of their Cubs have 80"+ wingspans. Now, am I dealing with some sort of anti-gas, anti-large scale bias, or does he have a legitimate point? Are 50cc gassers any faster than a 1.20-1.80? Why would an 85" Edge be any different than an 85" Cub?
I guess we are lucky. In the club I belong to I’ve never seen any bias directed at any of the senior members or “old dudes†as you say. Typically the senior members are the best flyers, have the coolest aircraft and $$$. If any of them wanted to build and fly a 28% gasser they would. If the youngsters are complaining about you being an “old dude†that wants a gasser, I’d tell them to go fly a kite if they can afford it.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Newc

Given that he has no idea what he's talking about, don't pay any attention to him.
The above depends on a lot of factors (maybe he does know what he's talking about considering the following questions), including - but not limited to - How long have you been a member? How long have you been flying? How long has the old dude been a member? Are either of you officers in the club? What is your skill level? (Maybe he is aware of your skill level??) Is he speaking for himself or for the club? etc.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:29 PM
EddieWeeks

If you had one of these... you could stop in 20 feet... hahah

I am sure that old dude will approve...

http://variablepitchhobbies.com/medi...deo_1_0001.wmv
Old 09-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Jigley3

Tankertoad….

I would think this is an item to be discussed at one of your club meetings, not on a public internet forum. The old fart may have a solid base for his opinion maybe not. But it is not for us on this forum to debate, it is an issue for your club….. bert
Old 09-30-2006, 08:47 PM
tankertoad

Just to clear up any confusion. I'm the "young dude". The overseer is a good guy and has been helpful in this, my first year on the sticks. He has a big war bird that he's afriad to fly at this field because, as warbirds fly very scale, I assume they need a fair amount of airspeed in the final turn to keep from stalling in and thus eat up a lot of runway. As far as skill level, I fly jets for a living and have many hours doing full-scale acro, so you could say I picked it up fast. My questions were really directed at unearthing some sort of "bad blood" between nitro jockeys and gas jockeys that I don't know about. There's no real "club" here. We follow AMA for safety, but that's about it. I suspect he'll be fine once he sees the plane. I could always get into a wing loading/cornering airspeeds/energy and G management discussion, but from one flyer to another, I'm hoping he'll just enjoy seeing some kick ***** flying.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:57 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Tankertoad,

You must fly KC-135's out there? Try PM'ing "FlyinTiger" he was recently stationed there and flew giant scale so he can probably direct you to a suitable field. He is also a Tanker pilot.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Tired Old Man

FlyinTiger isn't flying tankers anymore the last I heard. Still flying, just not tankers.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:49 PM
tankertoad

If it is who I think it is, he's the guy who put the RC bug in my ear in the first place. I'm sure my wife would love to thank him in person
Old 10-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Tired Old Man

He's out at Beale now. At least the last I had heard from him. Don't let him introduce his wife to yours. She flys R/C too and if the two wives ganged together you would have to loan out all your good stuff to your wife[X(] She goes flyin' and you get to do the dishes[]
Old 10-01-2006, 09:32 AM
tankertoad

Yep - FlyinTiger and I spent some time "vacationing" in the desert and he got me interested in the hobby. The rest is history. I'll have to look him up. I don't think he realizes he created a monster. [>:]

Too windy to fly today. Winds: 15-20G30.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

You ought to have plenty of runway for what you want to build even without the prevailing winds...

An IMAC type model will require substantially less runway than a warbird due primarily to the differences in typical wing loading, so it will slow fly much better than a warbird. Your "overseer" may not be aware of that, he may be concerned about safety, or it's possible he just does have a bias.

With a sport aerobatic model you can either land it more like a full scale or what I call the IMAC landings, that is setup for slow flight and just set it down three point, either way when you go ahead and close the throttle to idle, those big props turning that slow will decelerate the model much more than you'll ever see when running glow engines. Most of the IMAC guys I've seen fly, as well as the two who are helping me, use that slow flight technique which has a rather steep approach angle, but a really short landing roll. I'm still working on how to do that consistently, but even without doing it that way I wouldn't be afraid of the runway length.

Now with your prevailing winds, it's a total non-issue IMHO...
Old 10-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Well I can tell you that a WH Edge can slow down to a near walking speed (not quite) if its setup right.

I had one I just sold to my buddy and still get to fly it. Has CF tubes, CF gear, Kavan Wheel, lite NoBS batteries, CF spinner, and a Taurus 52.. came in 16.25 pounds and that thing just floats. It floats like a trainer its pretty crazy. With something like that you would have no probs landing on that field.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:01 PM
jpmodels

Fly.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Desertrat
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Toad, next time you're in San Antonio dropping off a depot or block 40, stop by and say hi - Roger at the 313th

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.