Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Ofna Ultra LX Comp 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:54 PM
M and M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ofna Ultra LX Comp 2

There is a brand new, never opened Ofna Ultra LX Comp 2 that a local hobby shop has, and they want $230 for it. Is the LX Comp 2 a good buggy for backyard bashing/running down the street? I DO NOT want a race buggy because the closest track is about 80 miles away. My budget is about $275-280. Is this a good buggy for me, or should I not get it and go for something else? I don't mind working on stuff, but at the same time, I don't want a piece of junk.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:46 AM
dbuggyracer

Default RE: Ofna Ultra LX Comp 2

i would say go for it you just need to get a better steering servo for it a metal geared one and you will be good to go.

Dennis

Cen racing,TQ fuel
Old 10-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Amosp

I have one and I use it for the same thing you want to. I do not have a problem with it. You will need to change the steering servo to a hi torque. Made a huge difference. The engine runs hotter than what you would think is good for it. I emailed OFNA and asked them about it and they told me that as long as it is blowing smoke, 275 to 290 degrees is ok. I can not get mine below 275 no matter what I do. It is a good buggy for just playing around. A lot of people with talk bad about it because it doesn't cost $400 or more or isn't a Jammin or Hyper 8 or any other buggies like that, but if all you are going to do is bash around and not race in a big event, it is fine.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:16 PM
M and M

Thanks for the responces guys. I did hear it was bad, but I always thought that was because of what you described Amosp. Now all I need is a few more dollars, and it will be mine. All I have now is a Cen Fun Factor MT with 2wd and a 2 speed upgrade, so now I will have something to race it against.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:56 PM
M and M

I just found out that I could get a brand new Cen Matrix for $300 (off of Cens website). Should I save a little more money and get the Matrix, or just stick with the Ofna for $230.
P.S. I've been in rc for about 5 years, so I do know my way around a gas-burner.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

I love my LX Comp. I replaced the servo the day after I got it and went with a hump pack battery. I did have a rear diff problem. The ring gear wasnt shimmed correctly from the factory. I think the case was warped. I called OFNA and they sent me full front and rear diffs incase i had another problem. I was astounded when they sent it. The guy in customer service said he would send out a ring and pinion and a bonus for my trouble. AWSOME CS!!! I broke 1 other thing on it in 5 months. The right steering nuckle. It was my stupid mistake. I was drifting in my yard and hit a tractor tire planter at full throttle. I jump mine, and run the snot out of it. Never had a single complaint. Go for it if thats what you want. Its a killer buggy thats fun to run, easy to maintain and cheap to fix.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
dbuggyracer

im going to say save your money and get a matrix its touch and comes with metal geared bb servos it is a better buy in my opionion.

Dennis

Cen racing, TQ fuel
Old 10-25-2006, 09:07 AM
M and M

Thanks for your input Blackfoot. Now I know I'm not going to get into anything bad. Hopefully this weekend I'll go and get it. Thanks again for all of your responces!!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:32 PM
matt295

Blackfoot, I am having the EXACT same problems right now. I just broke my right steering knuckle (I'm suspecting it was weakened from nosing into the landing of a 40ft jump, lol), and the rear diff is slipping now...I am having the same problem as you, looks like the ring gear is not lining up 100% with the drive gear (or w/e that small one is called).
Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Tazer_version_A

Hyper 7 PBS or the Mayhem Buggy ;-)
Old 10-31-2006, 12:43 PM
jonnymac

The LX comp will do what you want it to. Its no good for racing, true, but parts should be plentiful for it and for how you described using it, you should be fine.
The matrix is however, a different league. It would be worth saving the extra for.
Its a proper racing buggy though, which might be overkill for your application. I'd still get the matrix if i were you and you're you're willing to wait.