Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: RCPILOT78

well I just finished sheeting the wing and added the wing tips...I remember somewhere in the prior posts someone mentioned that the tips are not scale like..can anyone out there elaborate on what I can do to get them a little more scale in appearance...I thought someone mentioned a post that explained how to reshape the tips...??????????
Here is the link to the TF Corsair mod thread. Post #31 Jim goes into how to do it. The GS builds the same as the 60 size plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._2/key_/tm.htm

Pete
Old 10-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._6/key_/tm.htm

Same thread post 134 I showed the difference in outline with the scale tips.

Pete
Old 10-27-2006, 01:37 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RCPILOT78
For the wing tip mod,what I did is when I had it rough shaped I measured 1/4" down from the top of the tip it will leave you with a band(if you will) then I sanded up to that mark,
after speaking to Corsair jock he said that would be really close. otherwise if you sand straight across the top and from the bottom you will basically end up with a sharp edge at the tip. Now that I got you confused and if you need a pic of my tip, let me know cause now it''s primed and you might be able to get a clearer understanding.
George
Old 10-27-2006, 05:59 PM
cimara

Bob Iam using the cf bvm hinges they have the control horns already on them thought it might be handy to already have them in place . was going to use a strip of 1/32 ply birtch about 1/2 inch wide to strenghin the sheeting but the balsa they sent is so flexable i am not sure if it would be enough .
Old 10-27-2006, 07:19 PM
cimara

should have cleaned out a bigger space in my basement.87 inches just didnt sound that big[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57567.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	549471  
Old 10-27-2006, 09:44 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Cimara

I am not firmiliar with the BVM hinges, so mabe give corsairjock a pm or E-Mail or mabe one of the guys that read the thread can give you some advice. But I know they make execlent quality products. are you planning on an air system or mechanicle??I used Dion's system but different springs There are detail pic back in this thread. the hard part I found was getting the hinge pins lined up so there was no binding, I used a long pin that went through both hinges, you may have to cheet a little on the conture, thats why I had doublers on the ribs If you can't find those pic I can re post for you

Rc
The tip mod is a must and the firt one my make you scratch your head but it is easy while your wing is in the bone

Cheers Bob
Old 10-27-2006, 10:11 PM
cimara

At first i was going to use the air door retracts but after all I read on there timing issues ill probably use the mechanical . Save a lot of weight also . Was it difficult to get the timing correct on the doors looks like it wood be tight when the doors start to close .Did the wing tip mod cut an 1/8 of an inch off the bottom of rib 7 at first I didnt think it would make that big a difference but it really improves the look even unsheeted.made sure the top of the wing was flat .then blew up the end of the wing 3view and cut out a new tip for it. going to aero foil the stab by using 1/4 inch balsa on top and bottom and will carve it to shape . should not add to much weight most of the balsa comes back off .but i need to finish the main wing so i can scribe the stab to the fuse . then i will datto out 1/8 inch to keep the wing flat on the fuse so the incidence will be correct then i can carve the stab to shape.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:19 PM
cimara

heres a question I raised the gear up in the wing by 3/16 of an inch so the doors will clear the tires . is it ok to move the gear as far back to the main spar as i can so the device the makes the strut twist as it opens will clear the sheeting. Been reading dions thread got the impression that it might cause problems with handling or ground loops . or do i need to put the gear at an angle say 1/8 inch in the back and 3/16 in the front
Old 10-27-2006, 10:49 PM
RCPILOT78

ctflyboy....that is a great description..why didn't I figure that out...I have a hangar 9 corsair and their tip is very close to what you have described...I was going to follow that design...but the tip comes up to a very sharp point and that spells damaged wing tips ..I will go with your demensions...thanks JOE
Old 10-28-2006, 07:46 AM
rt3232

Cimara You want to have the gear mounted as far fwd as the beams will let you,this helps with the scale position and nose overs, and if you are going with strut covers be sure you lower/raise the gear into the wing by about 3/16 in the front and taper them back so when the gear is in the wing the axle bolt, has to be against the upper wing surface you then should be able to get doors without having to clearence hole for the nut. I have not had any problems with wheel clearing the doors in eather direction, it is just a lot of tinkering to get your linkage just right..look at the detail pic's back in this thread, you may not do it the same way but it will give you some ideas about how and ware the pivit points need to be.

RC

I did my tips about the same way as George and I ended up with about a 3/16 radius at the vary tip, so I just CA'd them befor covering as I don't have a place to store the wing in a horizontal position, so it stands on one tip or the or the outher on a pice of pink foam board so far no dammage.

George

Its time for mor pic's

Cheers Bob
Old 10-29-2006, 10:20 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Got yelled at yesterday for painting on my stencils so had to stop.[X(] Got about halfway through all the topside stuff. Most all the little nomenclature is painted on now and the fuse 19's are on. What a difference painting these on made. The plane just came to life. Also have gone to work a little with the silver gel pen to highlight some stuff now. Will apply a wash of smoke/brown and black to some areas next after the markings are all on. Getting closer though. Happy that it will finally sit in my shop painted this winter at least.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 PM
rt3232

Hi Wulf

I can hear what you are saying about getting yelled at, when my shop was in the basement (still had kids at home) had to have fan in a window even then place would get smelly. But it would be nice for some progress pic's

Cheers Bob
Old 10-29-2006, 07:27 PM
cliff600

Yeah me too Since the baby came my wife hardly will let me use 6 min epoxy. That is why I have to use polyurethane with no odor while glassing. Painting should be a real joy.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:59 PM
ctflyboy

I hear that Cliff, I already got my Butt chewed out just for touch up priming,I can just imagine whars to come when I really start painting I may be forced to but a really BIG Fan.
Oh well.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Hey ctflyboy,

I could find you a room here in Charlotte, NC if............................you bring your painting equipment with you!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 PM
ctflyboy

RT3232
finally got the rail cut for the manual slider and the rear rails are epoxied in place , tomorrow will do the frontshould have pics by weeks end.

I take it the weather your way still in the dumper, it's been very windy here 25 mph +.

George.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:15 PM
ctflyboy

Tomcat
Thanks for that offer, whats the weather like your way?
are you anywhere near Highpoint?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:31 PM
rt3232

Hi All

Sounds like you are comming along some pic's please, and as long as you mentioned the weather nice and sunny but some wind, our club has a c slow combat group and they had the field tied up till about noon got 2 nice flights on the big cub got some ohs and ahsssss but by the time the combat was done to much wind to get a maiden on the Corsair hanger queen..

Bob
Old 10-29-2006, 10:36 PM
rt3232

Tomcat

Do you have a G/S corsair in the makings?? if so how about sharring your build.

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Tomcat_104

Hey ctflyboy,

It's getting cold down here, 70/46 are the highs and lows. My wife was from Trumbul and at the time her dad worked for Olin in Bridgeport. We are about 90 miles from Highpoint, all interstate. Come on down here and fly with us. I'm building a GS Corsair and need a pilot for it.

David
Old 10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
rt3232

Tomcat

Glad you are in the thread, so how far along are you? and a good pilot is the blue box "LT. Miller" same thing from FTE (franktiano.com) or on e/bay, Depending on ware you put your cockpit floor, you might have to do a little leg surgery and his boots at least on mine were out of scale.

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Tomcat_104

Hey rt3232,

I'm at the sanding stage for the fuse and I'm still building on the wings. I have the motor, the retracts, the wheels, the dummy radial, the cockpit but I will be in need of both a pilot figure ang a REAL PILOT. I had a stroke back in '04 that left my right hand pretty useless so, I build but don't fly. The state of NC says I can't drive.............legally! I've been in love with the Corsair since I was a kid. I couldn't have built my Corsair without this thread. I've learned a lot and escaped a couple of disasters. I've read this thread for a long time and just kept my mouth shut and learned. Which cockpit did you use? I think mine came from Dynamic Balsa. I'll look tomorrow if it will help.

Good thread! Very helpful! Thanks to everyone.

David[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 10-30-2006, 10:07 PM
rt3232

Tomcat AKA David

I used the topflite cockpit and dummy engine for this bird this time around it will do There has got to be a local club with an experienced pilots, or contact BlissTeaque in hickory NC. at 828-267-0956 he is the district VP for your area, and I am sure he will help you. and don't hesitate ask questions, we in the thread will try to answer to the best of our ability. if you can pic's along will help

Sorry about your stroke, as I had a hart attack this last june, but was vary lucky got to hospital vary quick and in for stents. Doing well now back to work phone sales and keeping up with the therapy.

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 PM
rt3232

P.S. if you are in to some of the scale mods that can be done vary easy you might want to look at these threads (1-8 scale topflite mods and royal corsair .60 project)Lots of neet things you can use and do.

Bob
Old 10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
rt3232

Dave

Doing this in while trying to get a little of monday nite football.So if it don't make sence you know why, more questions what engine are you do you have? are going to do gear doors etc.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.