Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 10-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Hi Bill,
Wife says no way, I'll still spend a lot at the liquor store

Quick question if you don't mind. What size tires, main and tail, have you found best fit this Waco?
Thanx
Old 10-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Hughes500E

Here's an updated picture, looks like I'll be starting on those wing fillets myself soon [:-]
I'm thinking I may have bent my landing gear a little off!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63019.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	550225  
Old 10-29-2006, 05:17 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The mains are 4" I used the no bounce Sullivan's. The tailwheel is a 1 1/4 something or other... (sorry don't remember the brand)
Wives are like that. Mine wants the WACO for herself, so I'm going to have to blow another one up to have one for me. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-29-2006, 05:20 AM
Stickbuilder

If you are not happy with the amount of toe-in on the mains, now is the time to mend the situation. You will probably have to re-solder the joint if you add heat to bend the gear. They need about 1 degree of toe-in to track straight.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: old git

Hi again Stickbuilder,

I wonder "what" you are buffing after using 2000 grit. Painting vehicles, the only time I used 800+ was to remove the edges of stripes that had been produced by masking. The rest of the work was done with rubbing compound on a sponge using a dual action (DA) air sander. I am only asking for clarification, I am not and never was very good at producing a good finish (great at watching and making suggestions) I have used a hard masked edge and a rolled edge on the top (for stripeing) so the finish had finer "edge-less" paint at the masked edge.

It's about fifteen years since I did any painting (I've been retired over 8yrs) but I have just replaced the compressor I built over 40yrs ago, I didn't trust the receiver any more. I bought a 14cu ft FAD and a couple of proper guns to replace my old constant bleed gun and the one I LOANED to a friend.

The purpose of my questions is to see how relevant my experience of spraying will be on model aircraft. For models, I previously used shrinking dope, silver cellulose (for lightness) and covered it with a coat of automobile colour followed by single pack (furniture) polyurethane for fuel resistance and got an amazing gloss despite the occasional ugly nibs showing.

The model I have in mind for painting is the Bud Nosen Mr Mulligan kit I purchased on eBay with the new Zenoah G-38 to power it. I rather foolishly paid full price for the motor from a hobby shop in the USA. It arrived with the full price declared and the revenuers took great pleasure in charging me a considerable sum in import duty.

By the way, much as I love the Golden Age aircraft, I still think you are hiding a Spitfire somewhere, LOL.

old git - - - - -aka John L.
Hiding a Spitfire somewhere? ... Hmmmmm...[:-]

If you could talk me into building any Supermarine designed airplane, It would, in all probability, be a Spitfire. Perhaps a Reconnisance model, one of the light blue ones with the camera pod, perhaps a Mk IV with the Hood. It is a fairly obscure version, but I think that it would be well received within the scale world. What do you think? I'm not opposed to, just tired of seeing the same old P-51/P-47 non scale outline pieces of crap that crowd the flightlines. I'm so over the run of the mill planes that have been done to death. I've been thinking about one of the Biplane carrier fighters of the United Kingdom, but the R-variant of the Spit sounds pretty good. I have a Moki 3.6 inline twin that would make one of these really sing. A pair of tuned pipes ducted to scale outlets would sound pretty good. Will need a scale 3 or 4 blade prop for this to work well. It would need to be a fairly large model for the big Moki to work well with. This is a large engine. It's about 10" from the backplate to the prop washer and there is a C&H ignition package that has to be accounted for. With the shorter nose moment and longer tail moment, it sounds about right for the Spit/Hurricane. Keep digging at me... I might just roll over for this one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Jim Henley

Bill,
I guess it is like reworking an old house, first you have to tear the place up, then you fix it correctly. I don't see a datum line on the plans what / where do I measure against? I had placed a short level on the motor mount, blocked the fuse to bring that motor mount level, then used another level to check the stab. That was where I discovered that the stab appeared to have 0 degree incidence. Is using the motor mount the correct way to establish my base line or is there a better way? Also guess I need to pick up an incidence meter to make sure I am right on.
Jim
Old 10-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

Bill,
I guess it is like reworking an old house, first you have to tear the place up, then you fix it correctly. I don't see a datum line on the plans what / where do I measure against? I had placed a short level on the motor mount, blocked the fuse to bring that motor mount level, then used another level to check the stab. That was where I discovered that the stab appeared to have 0 degree incidence. Is using the motor mount the correct way to establish my base line or is there a better way? Also guess I need to pick up an incidence meter to make sure I am right on.
Jim
The fuselage crutch should be the datum line, but yes, you should invest in an incidence meter. This won't be the only time that you will use it. Using the motor mount might work, I've never used it as a datum line though. There are too many ways to mess that one up. Did you notice that the plan does not call for any down or right thrust. I have never needed any with this one. The full scale does not have any down thrust or right thrust built into the engine mount as well. That's what the stick and rudder pedals are for.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-29-2006, 05:35 PM
old git

Hi Bill,

I was just having a silly prod at your "sand off the excess" signature ending. I appreciate what you say about the commonplace but they are not commonplace to me. A blue spitfire should be rather fetching, I'd venture there's probably one at OSKOSH (Spelling?) Nevertheless I really love your Waco. Dicknadine in another thread was planning an Arc en Ciel Airliner, that was a really uncommon aircraft. Alas it came to nothing, his house was demolished by Katrina and he lost everything but his life and wife.

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Hiding a Spitfire somewhere? ... Hmmmmm...[:-] - - - - -

- - - - - -If you could talk me into building any Supermarine designed airplane, It would, in all probability, be a Spitfire. Perhaps a Reconnisance model, one of the light blue ones with the camera pod, - - - - -... I might just roll over for this one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
For some reason I am unable to upload pic's. I found a two seat job that is I believe flown by the widow of the builder/rebuilder. She gives rides which must be a real buzz for non pilots. My uncertainty is if this is the self same aircraft

Two seat Spitfire

Supermarine 509 Spitfire T9
Fishburn - Morgansfield / West House Farm
UK - England, August 25, 2005

G-CTIX / PT462/SW-A Built as an HFIX single seat variant, 462 flew with 253 Sqn in WW2 and latterly with the Italian and Israeli Air Forces. Converted to a TR9 two seat by Charles Church, she now resides in Wales.

old git - - - - aka John L.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Stickbuilder

I screwed it together this evening. Still need to do the cream color (colour for John) trim, but I'm getting real close.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Yw66454.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	550736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23066.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	550737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60042.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	550738  
Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Jim Henley

Verrry Nice! Cream trim, will it be along the same lines as the decal sheet or do you have more magic up your sleeve?
BTW, thanks for the advice on the datum line. I checked the measurements on the plans then checked the stab position on my model, and they are very close. However I still want to check with an incidence meter just to be sure.
Jim
Old 10-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Stickbuilder

Verrry Nice! Cream trim, will it be along the same lines as the decal sheet or do you have more magic up your sleeve?
BTW, thanks for the advice on the datum line. I checked the measurements on the plans then checked the stab position on my model, and they are very close. However I still want to check with an incidence meter just to be sure.
Jim
Decals? Decals? Notnunname!! I have been at it on this one since March, and No Decals for me.[8D] Magic? Not hardly Pilgrim...
Just more %%$#@@@** hard work.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Jim Henley

Sorry, I didn't make my question clear. I meant to say: will the trim paint be the same design as the decals, or do you have something more elaborate in mind like scallops or flames or???
Old 10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Hughes500E

Hi Jim,
I was thinking about you today when I hacked my tail off my plane
My horizontal stab was perfect but I made a dato cut in it before I pinned and mounted the vertical. Not thinking that I had to offset my horizontal stab, I never made any changes to the dato. My vertical was out by a hair, just enough to drive me crazy! No one else could see it of course [:@]

I took these for you. If you do change it, it has to be perfect, I can send you a template of the pieces. Quite a simple job really!

Name:	Om31735.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	550958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85888.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	550959  
Old 10-29-2006, 11:24 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chaps,
I have been following this thread with interest, cause I built one of these time machines a few years ago and I'm thinking about another one, cabin version maybe, you know, one of those `Gentleman's Aerial Carriages'.

Evan

Name:	Xu62522.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	550961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38154.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	550962  
Old 10-29-2006, 11:30 PM
chris1949

Hi instead of going to the licquor store go to the drug store and mix a little winter green oil with the dope,dont worry its compatible.I hope your wife likes the smell of pine trees really it works and it lasts along time.Just dont have it out at christmas you will have lights and tinsle all over it thanx Chris
Old 10-29-2006, 11:39 PM
chris1949

Lookin! real good Bill time to take a deep breath and enjoy before the finish.Keep up the good work Chris
Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Hughes500E

Interesting Chris, will have to remember that!

Curious though, how would one find that out
Old 10-30-2006, 05:54 AM
Stickbuilder

Sorry, I didn't make my question clear. I meant to say: will the trim paint be the same design as the decals, or do you have something more elaborate in mind like scallops or flames or???
As they used to say on the Saturday Matinee....We'll Soon find out !!! I will tell you this much, Flames are definately out. This one will be most unusual. The Pilot will (in honor of the wife) be none other than the ever lovely Tinker Bell. Let your imigination run with that one, and stand by. (we'll be right back after station identification) Yeah, the wife won. This is going to be her airplane.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-30-2006, 08:26 PM
chris1949

Hi again I believe it was in rc modeller years ago or a hobby shop that I went to the owner told me tried it works great.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Jim Henley

Perhaps we need to figure out how to get those templates down to Omaha. I was looking at your photos, my fuselage, the plans, your photo, and it struck me. The guy that started this kit has glued the stab down with the T.E. even with the tail post. From your photos, and from what I see on the plan, the stab should butt up against F-13T, which would leave the T.E. forward of the tail post about 1/2 inch. So, even if the incidence is correct the stab is still in the wrong location. I guess I'll be removing the head rest, vertical and horizontal stab and starting over.
Jim
Old 10-31-2006, 09:35 PM
Hughes500E

Hi Jim,
It's a fairly simple job. Send me an email via my profile and I'll send you the templates.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Wow!

I have to come back to this thread more often, some nice work here!

I managed to shoot both wings with base paint (white) this past weekend, sanding and trim (red) work next. Ive begun trim on the fuselage, maybe she will fly next season.[sm=red_smile.gif]

This is my first Latex paint job, very forgiving, fast drying, easy to color-match, I'm loving it. No more lacquer for these lungs.[8D]

pimmnz; the "Waco Cabin Model" is another classic. that and a Beech Staggerwing are on my short'er' list of future projects.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,
Both models are on my list too, the old UPF is getting lonely and needs a companion. Could be a YKS, G17 or SR9. I have detail drawings for each, just need to turn them into a building plan, but which one?
Evan.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:53 AM
chris1949

Hi Jim I took a break from modelling for a while Im an old silk and dope guy.Darn near impossible to find that any more.Spencer Aircraft has it for full size fairly cheap.Question is what kind of latex paint are you using and what other options are available.Maybe we will still meet at Rhinebeck one day you never know thanx Chris
Old 11-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Jim_McIntyre

I too am more comfortable with Silk & Dope but have made the transition to Supershrink Coverrite. I really love the stuff, all the benefits of silk & dope (strength, durability) with a few extras like ability to shrink with a heatgun (not as much as plastic, but still welcome). I still use Nitrate to assist the glue backing.

I'm new to latex but, I'm using Behr premium exterior latex thinned with common windshield washer fluid. With electronic color matching I can take my chips in for a perfect match every time. Drying time between coats is literally minutes when running a dehumidifier. Cleanup is a breeze too, simple soap and warm water is enough for skin, and I run straight windshield washer through the gun to clean up. Overspray is also much less than with other paints I've used and simply wipes up with a damp rag.

Rhinebeck ... sigh ... hope to make it next year but their scale rally conflicts with annual fiscal year-end software release testing. Still, the regular shows are worth the trip and I have literally Gigabytes of documentation from this year's trip. That Hanriot really grew on me... too unweildy for competition but one beautiful piece of flying furniture.[]

... I began a G17 in cad from factory 3-views some time ago, I must to get back to her.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.