Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Rc18t arms mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Racing T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc18t arms mod

Hi, every one, I made this thread just lo let every body Know that this easy mod really works, today I made the mod to mine but not only in the rear, I mod the front arms too, I let me tell you it is amazing the change the I got in stability, now I can go at full throttle and turn the wheels at one side and it react almost like a touring car (not so much lol) it seems like it is glued to the road.
The only down side is that my steering ratio got a little more wide, but not too much, If anybody was thinking of doing this go ahead you will notice the difference, but I think this mod works only If you just use it on road, I think that it perform better with stock wheelbase in the dirt. Now I have like 1 1/2 inches more of wheel base, here are some pics. I hope you can notice the increased wheelbase from the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88207.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	553513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94291.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	553514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53538.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	553515  
Old 11-02-2006, 11:45 PM
unseen1

Default RE: Rc18t arms mod

i dont see it but probably because im not an ae owner
Old 11-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Racing T

well probably thats the reason
Old 11-03-2006, 04:54 AM
jandb917

i think i see what you did......... you reversed the arms right? i mean you put the left arms on the right and vise versa right ......... if you did i can see how that would work . great job good info
Old 11-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Racing T

yeah thats what exactly what I did, It is a easy mod and you get a incredible handling at high speeds.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:18 PM
green25

The longer WB will be an improvement in probably the dirt too, not just on road, although I may be wrong.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Racing T

yes probably, I will have to tried out in the dirt, the steering radio is a little wider tough.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

You didn't do anything. The arms are meant to be flipped left or right and can be used on the front or back.

If you could turn & flip the arm so that the shock mount was on the front, you may gain a little length. The problem is that the shock will then slightly bind and you HAVE to switch the camber link position to behind the shock tower. The problem with that is the hole size. The hole size is much larger for a ball stud compared to the tiny screw that is there in stock form. Also, you would need to use longer camber links in order to maintain the same wheel camber.

Please do me a favor, Take a picture with a tape measure under the wheels like I did, prove me wrong and show me the additional wheelbase.

Name:	Wu60696.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	554498  
Old 11-04-2006, 11:41 PM
hands without shadows

I though the same as nitronutt but kept my mouth shut as I dont have an ae. Even if you did what he said I can hardly believe an extra 1.5 inches, thats quite a bit.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Nitronutt

If you look at his pictures compared to mine, it looks like the wheels are in the same spot in reference to the chassis. My arms are not flipped.

There is NO chance that you can get 1.5 more inches of wheelbase without seriously major modifications. That would be like, like turning my connectors over and that making my truck go twice as fast.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:30 AM
abjones413

Nitronutt,
this issue was bugging me for a while and after making my eyes sore from examining the pix so closely, his wb is a bit farther apart. I can't say the 1.5" he's claiming without a ruler, but it is longer. I have no idea how he flipped his arms and got the shock mount holes to line up properly, but you can see his front steering assembly is angled forward, rather than straight, like it's supposed to be. It's hard to tell due to the angle his pix were taken at, but it's just noticeable. He needs some birds-eye-views, no angles, with a ruler or tape measure under there like yours. Your front wheels are just even with the chassis corner, his are in front and your rears are more to the front of the chassis corner and his are pretty even. Compare again below...

Just for the record, a longer wheelbase wouldn't really improve handling, would it? Widening the stance with longer arms (and every other steering component) or even wider wheels would help though, right? A wider car handles better than a longer one...

Name:	Ca81062.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	554674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87823.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	554675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59342.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	554676  
Old 11-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Racing T

OK, here a some other pics to show you what I did,

You didn't do anything. The arms are meant to be flipped left or right and can be used on the front or back.
Why are you so sure I didn´t do anything? Relax men I am not showing off here, I am just showing what I did if anyone else is interested in doing it in order to gain a little more stability.

If you could turn & flip the arm so that the shock mount was on the front, you may gain a little length. The problem is that the shock will then slightly bind and you HAVE to switch the camber link position to behind the shock tower. The problem with that is the hole size. The hole size is much larger for a ball stud compared to the tiny screw that is there in stock form. Also, you would need to use longer camber links in order to maintain the same wheel camber.
Thats what I do first, ( see the fist new pic) you can see the bigger screws to, but the problem was exactly what you said the camber was way off, so I decided to do it in other way.

Even if you did what he said I can hardly believe an extra 1.5 inches, thats quite a bit.

I don't know if is exactly extra 1.5 inches I only said that as an estimate, that why I said LIKE 1 1/2 inches, ( look my fist post) sorry if I am wrong, but I definitely know that I have with this mod a little more wheelbase.

What I did in order to be able to flip the arms and maintain original camber, was to drill new holes in the arms for the shocks mount, as you can see in the new pics.

Please do me a favor, Take a picture with a tape measure under the wheels like I did, prove me wrong and show me the additional wheelbase.
I will do that as soon as I get home. Sorry I cant do it right know maybe tomorrow.

That would be like, like turning my connectors over and that making my truck go twice as fast.
As I said I am not trying to showing off, theres no need to make fun of me.

abjones413 : thanks for taking a close look at my pics. As for the longer wheelbase I think that actually can give more stability because the weight is now farther from the tires, so it lower the CG a bit, I Do feel it more planted on the road.

Name:	Lj21496.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	554702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31307.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	554703   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27751.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	554704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95128.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	554705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc39226.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	554706  
Old 11-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Seek and Destroy

This is a little off-topic, but waht brand is the rear arm mount on your 18t?

And how well deos that 7 cell bat fit?

Old 11-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Racing T

Its a GPM, and the 7-cell fit very tightly but it does, theres only one way of mounting it, that is with the wires facing backwards, thats because if you mount it with the wires facing front, they will get cougth by the steering assembly.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Seek and Destroy

Have you bent any? Does gpm still sell them?
Old 11-05-2006, 02:44 PM
abjones413

No sweat Racing T. My naked eye could definitely see a difference, but I still want to see that ruler under there for an accurate measurement. I'd say over 1/2", maybe 3/4".
You are very inginuitive to have drilled new holes for the mounts, and to even come up with the idea in the first place. I guess you do have a point on the stability issue. One thing to consider is that you say you lost a bit of steering radius. I guess that's a good thing in terms of not being able to steer so sharply you will roll. However, if you feel the need to flip those front arms back around, you'll still have a longer than stock wheel base...
The wheels/tires you're running are very similar to the stock RC18MT wheels - low profile and wide, good for the street. Grab some Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs for off-road. I plan to soon...

Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLS8&P=7
Mounted on these - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLPX3&P=M (dyed black of course)

OR, just go with these and call it a day - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKXR4&P=Z
Old 11-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Racing T

well thanks again abjones413, actually I know I'm not the first to do it on the rear, but I never seen someone doing it on the front, but maybe someone already did, who knows?

As for the tires I use the trinity ones because it gives more ground clearance, the street in front of my house is far from perfect[:@] actually I am thinking of getting some touring car wheel adapters and mount some stock nitro TC3 wheels with tires ($20 set of 4 )
Old 11-05-2006, 03:54 PM
A.J..

Yes, this mod has been done before. I have seen many people off one18th make threads about it. I heard it makes a big difference especially if you take your car to serious speeds with stability.

Great job
Old 11-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Racing T

thanks men, you should tried it, it gives more stability one important thing to brushless minis!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Nitronutt

Thanks for proving me wrong!!! I see what you did now. The initial pictures were too far away to see that you drilled a new hole in the opposing side of the arm for the shock mounts etc.

I was pissed when I actually tried it (before I wrote my previous post) and found that it could not be done (without either drilling the new holes for the ball studs like I had suggested or drilling new holes in the arms - which I did not consider - because my arms are aluminum).

At any rate, sorry to be a turd above. Can you take a pic with a tape measure to show the actual gain?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Racing T

No problem nitronutt its all good... Yes I will take the pic as soon as I get home, probably tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: Racing T

touring car wheel adapters and mount some stock nitro TC3 wheels with tires ($20 set of 4 )
Thats exactly whats on my 18t.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Racing T

what adapters are you using? and hoe does the tc3 tires perform? worth it?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: Racing T

what adapters are you using? and hoe does the tc3 tires perform? worth it?
tHe trinity aluminum ones. They are good, but they slide sometimes. THey have been worth it so far, and for $20, it just makes them even better.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Racing T

oh good to heard that, but I think the trinity adapters are a little pricey compared from the ones at the toyz at $5 they are plastic though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.